Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

2 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

BP hasn't left hide in a month

So, my BP hasn't left her hide in over a month now. She is a 6 year old female banana ball python. I've seen her come out like once a day to get a drink of water though, usually around 2am. I can't think of anything that caused her to do this. She just sits in her warm hide all day not even peeking out. I made sure to give her lots of humidity since I assumed she was trying to shed, but I'm getting worried now. I just want to get the chance to feed her, too. Usually I knew she was hungry when she'd be super active around feeding time. I can't imagine she's not hungry, though. I just wonder why she is staying put like that all day.
    Is this kind of thing normal? Does anyone have any advice? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    First off, have you checked the temperatures accurately? Just in case her heat source is failing & she's staying there because it's the only place she has enough (or any) warmth? Is it controlled by thermostat? That can fail too.

In case it's a shed cycle: have you checked her in the dark with a mini-flashlight? (cloudiness will be obvious in her eyes, in a dark room) Some sheds take longer than others, especially if you just happened to feed her when she was just going into it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I would look the snake over. Make sure nothing is obviously wrong and check your numbers. If everything checks out I would think it's just being a snake. A hiding snake is usually a happy snake.

Plus I'm sure you are not able to watch it 24/7 so maybe you've just missed it coming out. My Ball is not out much that I see. My Bloods seem to hardly move at all.... Unless food is in the room.

If there are no signs of shed I don't see why you couldn't feed, I would. I don't wait for my snakes to be out and about. I feed them when it's time and they come out just fine.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    The above answers are great. What are your temps and humidity? Could you also double check those with another measuring tool, sometimes they don't work great after some time. Also are you using a thermostat on the heat source or do you leave it unregulated? Also could you provide a picture of your setup? Your setup may have something wrong which would explain the behavior. How often have you had her? If you've her for a while it's likely a shed cycle or something else changed. If you just got her it's likely a husbandry problem.
    Last edited by Erie_herps; 05-11-2021 at 01:29 PM.