Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,006

2 members and 3,004 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Fish

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 44.44%
  • No

5 55.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Should I get a fish

I want one

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You joined BP.net to ask about fish?

I have an outdoor Koi pond. All I can say is it's a good amount of work. Especially when they leaves start falling. I threaten to get rid of it and turn it into a crocodile habitat often.

As for your poll I feel I need more information before I suggest a pet to a person.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-10-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2021),Erie_herps (05-10-2021),Hugsplox (05-10-2021),Toad37 (05-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Indoors or outdoors, successfully keeping fish -even just one fish- should not be decided on a whim. Good care & success takes some investment of education time, money, & a sense of responsibility (ie. a firm commitment to regular care). All pets deserve no less from their owners- they're living creatures- so whether you're ready for one, it's impossible to say.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Should I get a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Indoors or outdoors, successfully keeping fish -even just one fish- should not be decided on a whim. Good care & success takes some investment of education time, money, & a sense of responsibility (ie. a firm commitment to regular care). All pets deserve no less from their owners- they're living creatures- so whether you're ready for one, it's impossible to say.
    This^^

Keeping a fish is no different than keeping any other animal. They deserve the same level of care and respect as say a snake, a dog, or a cat. None of these animals do you go into without a lot of thought. People tend to look at a fish tank as something easy to do, and it is, with experience. The initial set up phase is incredibly important, cycling your new tank is probably the most overlooked and incorrectly done part of fish keeping. You also have to look at your budget. People think fishkeeping is cheap, but it can get expensive quickly depending on what kind of set up you're interesting in running.

Lastly, fish are not a set and forget pet. You're talking water changes, substrate vacuuming, feeding, live plant care if you go that route, filter maintenance, so on and so forth. This is a lot to think about other than "I want one."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    This^^

Keeping a fish is no different than keeping any other animal. They deserve the same level of care and respect as say a snake, a dog, or a cat. None of these animals do you go into without a lot of thought. People tend to look at a fish tank as something easy to do, and it is, with experience. The initial set up phase is incredibly important, cycling your new tank is probably the most overlooked and incorrectly done part of fish keeping. You also have to look at your budget. People think fishkeeping is cheap, but it can get expensive quickly depending on what kind of set up you're interesting in running.

Lastly, fish are not a set and forget pet. You're talking water changes, substrate vacuuming, feeding, live plant care if you go that route, filter maintenance, so on and so forth. This is a lot to think about other than "I want one."
    THIS too ^ ^ ^. Most creatures are fun to "have" for a little while, but then what? Make sure you choose pets that you'll enjoy LIVING with for as long as they live. Do your "homework" about them first- otherwise you're likely to have regrets. And always be sure your "budget" can handle routine care as well as emergency medical help.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-10-2021)

Thanks
    Then on top of care some fish are long lived....longer than snakes. Plenty of parents find this out the hard way when they get 10 year old lil Johnny a snake and the thing is still kicking when it is time to move off to college and it becomes theirs. Or like buying a parrot of tortoise some fish can be a life long investment.....like Koi.

Then like mentioned about the start up on a full real deal setup is not cheap. I looked into it and really wanted a salt water tank. After I did my homework I decided it was not what I needed at the time. My Koi pond gives me more than enough to do. One thing I really enjoy about my pond is it is large and on a hot day after some yard work I get in. Relax with a cigar and some whiskey. My wife on the other hand will not get in. Even though the water is clear and we know exactly what is in it. I grew up in the country though so swimming in creeks and ponds was a norm. Saw one of my first Coral Snakes swimming at a beaver dam.
    KMG

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-10-2021),Hugsplox (05-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Then on top of care some fish are long lived....longer than snakes. Plenty of parents find this out the hard way when they get 10 year old lil Johnny a snake and the thing is still kicking when it is time to move off to college and it becomes theirs. Or like buying a parrot of tortoise some fish can be a life long investment.....like Koi.
    Exactly, plus depending on what species of fish you get, you may not be able to have just one. I keep South American tetras, most of which are schooling fish, so I can't just have one, I have to buy 6, 8, 10 depending on the type of fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Exactly, plus depending on what species of fish you get, you may not be able to have just one. I keep South American tetras, most of which are schooling fish, so I can't just have one, I have to buy 6, 8, 10 depending on the type of fish.
    While others you can only have one.

Or some that will need a larger tank a few times in their life. Bigger tank....bigger pump....bigger heater....bigger filter.....bigger budget needed.
    KMG

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2021),GoingPostal (05-10-2021),Hugsplox (05-10-2021)

Thanks

That's as vague as saying you want a reptile. Lol. What are you thinking of keeping? What is your max tank size? What are your constraints (time/money/space...).

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I was surprised to learn clowns and tangs can live 20-30 years.

Thanks
    Yall ever watch this guy? Fish have taken over everything....even his swimming pool. I guess his pool and my pond are really about the same thing. I wish mine was indoors like his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLk6IlPSh2k
    KMG

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2021),jmcrook (05-10-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast