Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,438

2 members and 3,436 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    The shed was probably THE reason- & snakes seem to feel them coming & know before we can see any signs, so when your snake refuses food, wait a few days & watch- often our snakes know exactly what they're doing, they just can't manage to tell us.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2021 at 01:17 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Born2rage (05-18-2021),Hugsplox (05-13-2021)

Thanks

Re: Banana ball being picky

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The shed was probably THE reason- & snakes seem to feel them coming & know before we can see any signs, so when your snake refuses food, wait a few days & watch- often our snakes know exactly what they're doing, they just can't manage to tell us.

He had a really nice clean shed, so i will be trying again soon!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    I know it can be stressful when your snake doesn't eat, I had some trouble with mine and have some tips to share. whoever you got it from, you want to make sure that the breeder had fed the snake, you'll want to figure out what he was feeding the snake as well. another problem could be that the rat isn't warm enough or the rat is spoiled. I know that my ball python will sometimes coil up in a position where half of his body is upside down and he would have trouble eating that way, so he drops the food for a moment to uncoil and then to grab it again, sometimes it takes him a while to grab it again but he usually does. if he isn't coiling he might be too weak, make sure he has water and that he is nice and strong, since you've only had him for a week you should make sure not to handle the snake at all until it's had 3 successful meals, once he has I suggest having "work-out sessions" with the snake, I do this by holding him by in front of his midsection and making a wide circle with my finger, doing this around the snake and making sure it's tight enough where it isn't squeezing him but he has to work to get through my fingers, my snake will then flex his muscles as he's slithering which exercises him, before I would do this his coils were weak and not very tight but now he squeezes that rat so hard that it takes him only around 30 seconds to kill it!

I wish you good luck with your snake, I'm sure it's a beauty!
    Thanks for the advice! When I did hold him, he seemed pretty strong. I will be trying to feed again this week, he had a pretty clean shed so now I'm hoping he'll go for it. Also bought pinkies in case the food I tried was too big. I just want the little guy to eat!

Thanks

same! I hope he eats for you this time!
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Born2rage (06-02-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Born2rage View Post
    Thanks for the advice! When I did hold him, he seemed pretty strong. I will be trying to feed again this week, he had a pretty clean shed so now I'm hoping he'll go for it. Also bought pinkies in case the food I tried was too big. I just want the little guy to eat!

With any new snake (as yours still is) AVOID un-necessary handling until after they've fed for you at least 2-3 times without refusals for anything other than being in shed- that's a normal time for a snake to refuse, so being in shed doesn't "count".

Handling distracts a shy snake (as BPs are) from the instincts they need to focus on hunting & eating.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-19-2021 at 06:58 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Born2rage (06-02-2021),Hugsplox (05-19-2021)

Thanks

With any new snake (as yours still is) AVOID un-necessary handling until after they've fed for you at least 2-3 times without refusals for anything other than being in shed- that's a normal time for a snake to refuse, so being in shed doesn't "count".

Handling distracts a shy snake (as BPs are) from the instincts they need to focus on hunting & eating.
    New update, still no luck. The breeder was feeding him frozen fuzzies. He seems completely uninterested. He will shy away or go right past the food. I have been waiting a week in between each try. I'm getting them up to 110 degrees. His tank is at 88 on the warm side, 76 on the cool side. It gets up to 100 at the top of his tree (directly under the lamp) humidity stays around 50-60. It's been a little over a month now. I know it's not that uncommon, but he at least struck at it the first time. I'm thinking about trying live, but was hoping he would take frozen. Any other tips to help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Born2rage View Post
    New update, still no luck. The breeder was feeding him frozen fuzzies. He seems completely uninterested. He will shy away or go right past the food. I have been waiting a week in between each try. I'm getting them up to 110 degrees. His tank is at 88 on the warm side, 76 on the cool side. It gets up to 100 at the top of his tree (directly under the lamp) humidity stays around 50-60. It's been a little over a month now. I know it's not that uncommon, but he at least struck at it the first time. I'm thinking about trying live, but was hoping he would take frozen. Any other tips to help would be appreciated!!
    Since he's still not eating AFTER his shed, it may be that his home is not as secure-feeling to him as you have assumed. You might need to duplicate how the breeder was housing him (ie. much smaller accommodations).

*Also, EXACTLY how & when are you offering him food? This is more important than you might realize, especially if this is your first snake. They're not like feeding cats or dogs or birds- just not.

**Have you been handling this snake at all? It matters...a lot, for a "new" & non-feeding snake.

*** Anything else in the room that might be scaring him? Too much activity (any kind), little kids teasing him or hovering, cats or dogs lurking about...etc?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-01-2021 at 08:06 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Born2rage (06-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Don’t know how I missed this thread but no matter ..

I’ve sent you details of the hairdryer method of feeding ( frozen thawed)

You can thank me later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Born2rage (06-02-2021)

Thanks

Since he's still not eating AFTER his shed, it may be that his home is not as secure-feeling to him as you have assumed. You might need to duplicate how the breeder was housing him (ie. much smaller accommodations).

*Also, EXACTLY how & when are you offering him food? This is more important than you might realize, especially if this is your first snake. They're not like feeding cats or dogs or birds- just not.

**Have you been handling this snake at all? It matters...a lot, for a "new" & non-feeding snake.

*** Anything else in the room that might be scaring him? Too much activity (any kind), little kids teasing him or hovering, cats or dogs lurking about...etc?
    I try feeding at night, I warm it up to about 110 and dangle it in front of him with tongs. I've tried to recreate the movement a mouse would make. I've tried leaving it in there for an hour, and he just doesn't care about it. I have handled him but only when cleaning out the enclosure.

I have two cats. One doesn't care at all, the other is relentless. I cover the enclosure if I'm not around, and block off the top. The cat knows he isn't allowed, he's just young and lively and does everything I scold him for. It could definitely be the cat. My options are limited, as if I close any doors the cat destroys the carpet/doors and I live in an apartment. At this point I'm tempted to put the snake enclosure in a closet (mirror doors that slide that the cat hasn't figured out yet) any tips on cats and snakes are welcome too!

Thanks
    You won't like my "tip on cats & snakes"- I don't think they ever belong in the same rooms. Stuff happens & usually snakes lose. Unless they're real big, then the cat loses. Not fair to either one. And cats learning to move a sliding closet door? Just a matter of time, IMO. Snake belongs in a locking cabinet that the cat has no way to open or crash.

Where is the snake when you offer him food? Mostly BPs won't eat if they're out in the open- they're "ambush predators" that prefer to grab prey when they feel safe, peeking out of their hides after dark. And then only if the dead rodent isn't too lively, & it must never seem to approach the snake- you want to elicit a slight chase from the snake, as would happen in the wild.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-02-2021 at 11:20 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-03-2021),Zincubus (06-02-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast