Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,228

1 members and 1,227 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Long Island, NY; moving soon to Gainesville, FL
    Thanks

Site Etiquette + Replying to Old Threads

As a new member of this forum, I was just wondering if there are any "etiquette rules" that the people here abide by--obviously I know there are written rules, but what are some of the unwritten rules of using this site?

One question I have in particular is regarding old threads. I know that on some other forums, it's generally frowned upon to reply to threads that haven't seen activity in a long time, and was wondering if the same applies here. Often I will come across a thread that is several years old, and either I find the conversation interesting or have a strongly related question, and I will feel the urge to reply, but I hesitate to do so because I don't want to reply to old threads if that's not considered acceptable here. In those cases should I respond to the old thread? Make a new post with the same topic? Forget about it and move on?

Any other tips on how to interact on this site are greatly appreciated!
    Everyone's weird in their own stupid way.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Site Etiquette + Replying to Old Threads

Generally it's best to start a new thread on the topic you want to discuss especially if it's a particularly old thread you're looking at. When digging through old threads you can check to see if the OP or other contributors are still active members of the forum by checking their profile and seeing when they last logged in and their last participation.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

hihit (05-09-2021),Spicey (05-09-2021),Toad37 (05-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    That's a great question about replying to old threads. Unfortunately the answer varies, depending on who you ask, but it has traditionally been frowned on here too.

In the past, some members have been known to taunt anyone adding to a "dead thread", & one even referred to themselves as the "necro thread patrol". Not much anymore though.

And it's easy to see why teasing is hard to resist if the new person posting is actually responding TO an old post, when the OP -original poster- hasn't been heard from for ten years.

Most of us realize that the questions asked are often important to someone that's a new member, just finding their way around, so personally I usually answer them but encourage them in the future to just start a new thread.

But I can also see where continuing the discussion of some topics, even from some years ago, might be helpful to some who reply now & in the future, so another way to "connect the dots" would be to post a new thread, but in the first post, include a link referring to the old original thread if you like. I don't think I've ever seen that done, but personally I think it's a perfect compromise. Why not try that? (Many will not want to read the backstory, but some probably will.)

We actually try very hard to keep this a friendly & conversational forum for all ages & backgrounds to use, & those who harass others are in violation of the rules ("TOS"). I think it helps to remember that those asking questions may be using a forum for the very first time, or that English may be their 2nd language.

See See FAQ: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/faq.php

Thanks for asking, &
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-09-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

hihit (05-09-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And it's easy to see why teasing is hard to resist if the new person posting is actually responding TO an old post, when the OP -original poster- hasn't been heard from for ten years.
    Thanks, I was wondering about this too. I will link to old threads, I like that idea. Would it also be good to click on the thread starters profile to see if they are still active? Or just start a new thread if its old and link it as you say?
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-09-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Thanks, I was wondering about this too. I will link to old threads, I like that idea. Would it also be good to click on the thread starters profile to see if they are still active? Or just start a new thread if its old and link it as you say?
    Feel free to click on a member's profile, it does show you their "latest posts" & other information.

Long Island, NY; moving soon to Gainesville, FL
    Thanks

Ack I think I just responded to an old feed accidentally because it showed up on the home page and I didn't see the date before I replied. So much for learning about etiquette lol.
    Everyone's weird in their own stupid way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hihit View Post
    Ack I think I just responded to an old feed accidentally because it showed up on the home page and I didn't see the date before I replied. So much for learning about etiquette lol.
    If you're talking about the "poll" thread (the most you'd spend on a BP) those don't count- poll threads stay active. So relax...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

hihit (05-10-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You can include a link to an old thread if you like- if you feel it's relevant to your topic- I see nothing wrong with that (especially if it saves you from repeating related content)- but it's optional.

Usually it's best to just start a new thread, & as I said, we're trying to get away from razzing those who post on old threads, but it's bound to raise a few smirks when a new member answers a question posed years ago & the one who asked is long-gone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-10-2021)