Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

0 members and 2,866 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Wild black snake sighted

We have a very nice range of animal life here. My only complaint about this area is that for the longest time the seasons can’t make up their mind whether it is going to be hot or cold. For example last week the temperature had gotten into the 80s and for the last couple of days we’ve had frost every morning. Yesterday we actually had a little bit of sleet mixed in the rain. We really don’t have a spring and fall we just have summer and winter fighting for dominance lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

LOL, same here in the UK. Its supposed to be late spring/summer but had to scrape ice of my car this morning, It can be hot this time of year as it was a few weeks ago, or not. We have two seasons too. Summer and winter. the other two cant make up their mind.
    it seems to be a recent thing though. the poor animals done know what to do.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-08-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Effler View Post
    I live in Eastern TN in the Appalachian mountains.
    ... brown rat snake? (I couldn’t find it on native snake list but I’ve caught a 60-70 inch brown snake in the wood before and was told it’s a brown rat snake)...

The only rat snake that I can think of that's brown (actually patterned with brown & grey) is a Great Plains rat snake, aka Pantherophis emoryi, aka Emory's rat snake, but I don't think it's range covers your area. I wonder what you've seen? You might ask your local (state) dept. of Fish & Game. I suspect it was a black rat snake with enough red undertones (some have none & others have a lot of red) so that it appeared brown rather than black? Because the size you describe doesn't fit an Emory's rat snake either- they're smaller.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (05-09-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The only rat snake that I can think of that's brown (actually patterned with brown & grey) is a Great Plains rat snake, aka Pantherophis emoryi, aka Emory's rat snake, but I don't think it's range covers your area. I wonder what you've seen? You might ask your local (state) dept. of Fish & Game. I suspect it was a black rat snake with enough red undertones (some have none & others have a lot of red) so that it appeared brown rather than black? Because the size you describe doesn't fit an Emory's rat snake either- they're smaller.
    I’m remembering from my childhood so it’s possible I am remembering it bigger than it was. In my memory it was longer than I was tall but I was around 10 years old when I caught it so it’s been a long time.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Effler View Post
    I’m remembering from my childhood so it’s possible I am remembering it bigger than it was. In my memory it was longer than I was tall but I was around 10 years old when I caught it so it’s been a long time.

Assuming you lived in the same area back then, there are no "brown rat snakes"- but as I said, if it wasn't patterned (see Great Plains-Emory's rat snake), I've seen at least one refer to a black rat snake as "brown"- maybe because we don't all see colors the same way, or because it had red undertones that in sunlight made it look more brown than black? It's like I have 2 black dogs, but in bright sunlight you can see that one has tan hairs mixed in her coat, making her appear to be a very dark brown color, especially when she stands next to the other dog who is pure black. Your rat snake still seems likely to be a "black" rat snake, IMO.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (05-10-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123