Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,166

1 members and 2,165 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Very old stuck shed skin. Any advice

I received a new ball python a week or so ago with old bits of skin stuck to it.

My snakes shed fine, in the past if not I address it immediately. But this seems to be months old and seems welded on.

I have raised the humidity to 85% and tried a sweat box. I am concerned about raising the humidity for too long. its been 3 days at high humidity so far.

Any suggestions? Also how long can I leave it at high humidity? or can I wait till the next shed (worried that could cause skin damage)?

I don't think it will shed soon It arrived at less weight than the 4 month old advertisement and is no bigger than the picture of it then. (picture was in the persons hand for size comparison)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    If it's layer on layer and constricting tail tips or covering eyes then I'd put the snake in a warm wet pillowcase tied shut in the cage for a few hours. If it's a little here and there I'd probably let time do it's thing, next shed should clear that all off and if the snake is underweight and you get it feeding, it'll likely be in shed again soon enough.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Ascended (05-08-2021),Bogertophis (05-25-2021)

Thanks

Re: Very old stuck shed skin. Any advice

Its a bit skinny but feeding well now it has access to food.
    The stuck bits are down the top of its neck puling the skin tight. So that bit wasn't getting wet when soaking and not getting rubbed in the sweat box.
    Thanks for the advice, the pillow case should address both of those problems. If not as you suggest as he is eating well, I will drop the humidity to normal and wait for the next shed.

Thanks

Update: My snake shed today. still problems with the bit that was stuck when I got it.
    Sorry I couldn't bring myself to do the wet snake bag thing, it felt like waterboarding. I know its ok, I am a bit soft.
    Anyway. I filed a tub with water at the right temperature put a lid on it, left it in there for an hour, and this time it came off.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Update: My snake shed today. still problems with the bit that was stuck when I got it.
    Sorry I couldn't bring myself to do the wet snake bag thing, it felt like waterboarding. I know its ok, I am a bit soft.
    Anyway. I filed a tub with water at the right temperature put a lid on it, left it in there for an hour, and this time it came off.
    I'm glad you got to it- I've seen snakes refuse to eat when patches of old skin are left on- it seems to make them think they're "in shed" when they're not.

I usually do a container with shallow slightly-warm water, but you also could have tried a wet cloth on his neck- you'd have to sit with him either way to make sure it did the job. You mentioned he's a bit thin, that's probably part of the reason he got "stuck"- shedding takes good hydration & good nutrition. I've never had water fail to get even old shed skin off a snake.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2021 at 05:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (05-25-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm glad you got to it- I've seen snakes refuse to eat when patches of old skin are left on- it seems to make them think they're "in shed" when they're not.

I usually do a container with shallow slightly-warm water, but you also could have tried a wet cloth on his neck- you'd have to sit with him either way to make sure it did the job. You mentioned he's a bit thin, that's probably part of the reason he got "stuck"- shedding takes good hydration & good nutrition. I've never had water fail to get even old shed skin off a snake.
    Your right. He was not fed for at least the 3 months of potential courier, then failing then trying again with other couriers. (most approved couriers in the uk deliver monthly) So the skin in that area with the stuck shed was very loose and baggy. He didnt eat when I first got him.

I did the water bath, then plenty of patience rubbing it with a cloth gently, re-soaking and again and again. It was a bit stressful for him, even though I was gental. but I believe he is happier now and more comfortable that it is all off.
    Even with the stress, he fed later, probably because the discomfort was gone. Hopefully I can get his health up now so shedding wont be a problem in the future.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-25-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I'm confident that you'll get him going now.

As a gal with long hair, I'd imagine that having stuck skin for a snake is the equivalent of wearing a pony-tail that's too tight? Annoying & distracting.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm confident that you'll get him going now.

As a gal with long hair, I'd imagine that having stuck skin for a snake is the equivalent of wearing a pony-tail that's too tight? Annoying & distracting.
    I am a guy with a thin pony tail, so I know what you mean, when my wife does it up too tight.

Don't judge me people. Just the little rebel in me.

Very little rebel. I have to ware a shirt for work so its well hidden.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-25-2021 at 05:38 PM.