Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 506

1 members and 505 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    One more thing & it could be important: you said she "eats fine", so be sure to get a fresh stool sample for the vet to take a look at. Internal parasites ("worms") are one thing that can cause dehydration & malnutrition that results in bad sheds, & if that's the case, it's not very hard to fix. When a snake is sharing their food & water with parasites, it makes for bad sheds. It could be something else, of course, but this is something that really needs to be checked first & ruled out.

It's not normal for a snake to get "stuck" in shed, & I suspect it's more than a simple humidity issue. But for future reference, if you notice this (or any) snake is going into shed (clouding up), I'd recommend that you hold off on food until after their shed is complete. Both shedding & digestion requires extra hydration from the snake's body, and many snakes just don't "multi-task" very well anyway. It could also be that because your snake is being kept a bit too warm, that if you fed her while she's in shed, that might have been enough to cause this dehydration & stuck shed? -That would be an even easier & nicer fix than parasites, eh?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-07-2021 at 12:33 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: HELP!!! Humidity problems?

No she isnt under weight, she never skips a meal. Honestly i had been soaking her thinking she was dehydrated. Inky when i saw the lil skin flakes did i realise it was stuck shed. Im taking care of that now, by soaking for 20 min then using a damp cloth to get it off. Every care sheet inread recommended those temps but i have dropped them as well. I admit that the issue was my fault, im working to resolve it. I have a reptile vet and will be taking her. Thanks

Thanks
    You could give her a humid hide with damp sphagnum moss.

Typically most Boa imperators need average humidity of 60-65% - with about 50% on the warm side/basking spot and about 70-75% on your cool side.
    Snakes
    1.0 Pure Hog Island Boas (Boa imperator) - "Boss"
    0.1 Tamaulipas Cloud Forest Boa (Boa imperator) - "Elena"
    0.1 Ivory/Super YB Ball Python (Python regius) - "Ivory"
    1.1 Cape York Spotted Python (Antaresia maculosa) - "Irwin & Iris"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Acrantophis dumerili) - "Lysse"
    1.0 75% Super Dwarf Retic (Malayopython reticulatus) - "Kal"

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor
    (Varanus acanthurus) - "Gigi"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I live in an area that tends to have very low ambient humidity, so even with PVC enclosures I usually have to fight to maintain good humidity levels. I am not a fan of ever soaking a snake unless there's a medical necessity like stuck shed. The usual tricks like large water bowls placed under the heating element to help with evaporation are definitely useful. But so far the best overall solution for me has been deep substrate - like a good 4" of ReptiChip - mixed almost 50:50 with sphagnum moss. Pour water into the substrate and mix it up until it's just slightly damp to the touch. You don't want it to be dripping water if you squeeze it.

Check it during your regular spot cleaning, fluff it up daily, and add about a cup (or more if needed) of water and stir it around again about once a week. That has allowed me to maintain a nice steady 60% in most of my enclosures. My Brazilian Rainbow Boa is a little jungle flower who wants her humidity at 90% or more, but the same strategy has worked with her - it's just that her substrate is a tad deeper and there's a higher ratio of sphagnum moss to ReptiChip.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

JibbaJabba (05-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Re: HELP!!! Humidity problems?

As soon as any of my snakes show signs of going into shed... ( colours fade , eyes glaze over and disappear under the hides for days on end ) ... I start spraying the viv each day then after a while when they look normal again start spraying two or three times daily ..

100% good sheds each time ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12