Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 638

1 members and 637 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation HELP!!! Humidity problems?

Hi guys, i have a baby bci boa and she is in a cage built by myself. I have no clue what the deal is but its driving me crazy. She had a bad shed recently, and hadnt before. Now shes all wrinkly looking and has some stuck shed. Has been like this for weeks. She has a huge water bowl. Substrate is a mix of topsoil, spagnum moss and cypress mulch. I mist 2x a day. The humidity is at like 50%. Iui ts not a screen top cage. Its made from wood and sealed withna plexiglass front. Im stumped. It has a pro products rhp on a herpstat. She eats fine. I also have a fogger incoukd use on a humidistat if need be. Any tips? Temps are 91 on hot spot, 80 ambient.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Does the viv has any vents ?

Thanks

Re: HELP!!! Humidity problems?

Was your humidity at 50% during the shed? Because you should be bumping it up to around ~70 during that time or providing a humid hide. Also being right on the edge of 50% is kinda sketchy, you want to have some cushion room preferably mid 50s.
    Last edited by RickySRonin; 05-07-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

If the animal doesn’t shed in the first day (it should take like 10-20 mins tops) then it is on you to ensure the stuck shed is removed and not let the snake live in it for weeks on end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-07-2021),Caitlin (05-07-2021),Hugsplox (05-07-2021),RickySRonin (05-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJabba View Post
    Does the viv has any vents ?
    Yes it has 2 on each side.

Thanks

I was trying to bump it up but it would go down quickly. I was misting the enclosure. it just seems odd that nothing has changed and suddenly i cant keep humidity up

Thanks

I have been soaking her but found vetter info on how to deal with that, so will be doing that today. Like i said seems odd i havent had any problems and then suddenly cant keep her humidity up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newtot View Post
    I was trying to bump it up but it would go down quickly. I was misting the enclosure. it just seems odd that nothing has changed and suddenly i cant keep humidity up
    How long have you had her in this enclosure? Also what are you using to measure your humidity? You say, you built this cage yourself, did you make sure it was properly sealed to minimize unwanted airflow?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes it has 2 on each side.
    Cover them up. The gap between the glass is generally ventilation enough especially given the fact that most people keep opening the viv anyway to interact with snake and such.

If you mist your viv and got four vents, the humidity will escape in no time.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

...i have a baby bci boa and she is in a cage built by myself... She had a bad shed recently, and hadnt before. Now shes all wrinkly looking and has some stuck shed. Has been like this for weeks.... Temps are 91 on hot spot, 80 ambient.
    She has "been like this [in her stuck shed skin] for WEEKS" ? That's absolutely horrible care on your part- no offense, but I'd never leave a snake that is truly stuck like that for more than day, let alone "weeks"!

I've kept one BCI (in the past, for many years & she was never sick a day) & I'd say your temps are too high. Suitable for a ball python, yes, but not for a BCI. Mine ranged from 88* to 75*, & I also didn't fuss that much about her humidity either (she lived in a huge glass tank with screen top!), & she never had a "stuck shed". (She had a large water bowl, & where I live is humid anyway.)

In order for a snake to successfully shed, it needs good hydration but also good nutrition in order to grow, which is what "shedding" is all about. Your snake should probably be seen A.S.A.P. by a qualified (experienced) herp vet because she may be sick. When was the last time she ate??? I'm betting she's underweight.

If she was here, I'd be soaking her right now in lukewarm water & gently helping to remove the stuck shed. That & calling a vet for an appointment.

In case you need to find one: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-07-2021),Hugsplox (05-07-2021),RickySRonin (05-07-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast