Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,304

0 members and 2,304 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating Issues

Thanks

Question Heating Issues

Hello,

I having some heating issues in my BP terrarium. I'm using a front opening 25 gallon Zoomed glass tank. I have a heat mat under one side with a thermostat connected, but i can't get temps above 82 on the warm side. My substrate is coco fibers mixed with forrest floor at 3" deep.

My humidity levels are awesome (Thank you Florida).

I did buy a heat lamp, but it was making my warm side 112 degrees Fahrenheit (which i know is too hot). The bulb was a 75 watt basking spot lamp bulb by zoomed.

Should i just get a lower watt bulb and stick it up top? I just know i need to get those temps right for my little dude.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Pretty-scrappy; 05-06-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks

Re: Heating Issues

I bet the lower light would work but you could also use less coco fiber. coco fiber is pretty thick. I do think that the mat is better so you might also be able to out more power in by using a different cord. I would wait for a more expert opinion tho.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

It sounds like, and forgive me if I misunderstood, that the only heating you were using prior to the lamp was a UTH. UTHs are not for increasing ambient temps which is obviously what you're having some issues with. You're going to need some kind of overhead heat source to help with that, and whatever you use, whether it be the lamp you have, a CHE, or a RHP, you're going to want to hook it up to a thermostat to control the temperature. It's dangerous to run any kind of heat source without a thermostat, so regardless of what you go with, make sure you pick one of those up as well.

A thermostat is going to turn that lamp off once your temperature reaches whatever you set it to. A CHE hooked to a thermostat worked fantastic for me for ambient temps, but living in Georgia I had some humidity issues that I had to correct by making some DIY alterations to my enclosure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-06-2021)

Thanks

Are you saying the spot where your heat mat is won't get above 82 or are you saying the ambient temps won't get above 82? Also, what are you using to measure your temps?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Having three inches of fiber over the uth is wrong. It [should] be less than a quarter inch. Having as much as you do you have a good chance of insulating the heat and building a dangerous number if the snake was too [burrow] and reach it. Before you say "my snake doesn't [burrow]" that doesn't mean it won't.... One day. Reduced the fiber over the uth and get the temp to serve as a proper hotspot only. A uth is not meant to, nor will it, get your ambient temps where you want them.

I like thick substrate too. In my cage it's thick and then slopes off to the uth where you can see most of the uth. Then I put the hide over it too cover the area so you can't see it. This is in a 40gal tank I still use.

As to the light the bulb is fine. All you need to do is get a dimmer and reduce it's output. This will make the bulbs last longer as well. You need a IR temp gun to check the surface temps is the cage as those spot lights can really concentrate the heat creating unsafe hotspots. It may make the ambient temp good but be giving you hotspot way out of spec.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-06-2021 at 07:58 PM. Reason: fixed typos for clarity (snakes burrow, they don't borrow, lol)
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2021),Hugsplox (05-06-2021)

Thanks

I was saying the spot above the mat won't get above 82. Im using an IR temp clicker thing.

Thanks

Thanks guys for all the tips! Im gonna try to get this all figured out. I want my littly BP to have a comfy home!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Having three inches of fiber over the uth is wrong. It did be less than a quarter inch. Having as much as you do you have a good chance of insulating the heat and building a dangerous number if the snake was too borrow and reach it. Before you say "my snake doesn't borrow" that doesn't mean it won't.... One day. Reduced the fiber over the uth and get the temp to serve as a proper hotspot only. A uth is not meant to, nor will it, get your ambient temps where you want them.

I like thick substrate too. In my cage it's thick and then slopes off to the uth where you can see most of the uth. Then I put the hide over it too cover the area so you can't see it. This is in a 40gal tank I still use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty-scrappy View Post
    I was saying the spot above the mat won't get above 82. Im using an IR temp clicker thing.
    I understand. if you're measuring on top of the substrate then I agree with KMG's comment above. Your issue is your substrate is too thick, and odds are the temp down at the glass are hot enough to cause some serious burns. I had my 40 gallon set up the same way as KMG, with super thick substrate on the cool side that sloped down to bare glass on the warm side with a hide sat over the UTH. That way my snake could lay directly above the UTH with is sitting at 89-90.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty-scrappy View Post
    Dig down to the uth and feel the glass with your hand. I bet you find it BLAZING hot. No more than a 1/4 inch of substrate should be over it.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2021),Hugsplox (05-07-2021),PitOnTheProwl (05-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Dig down to the uth and feel the glass with your hand. I bet you find it BLAZING hot. No more than a 1/4 inch of substrate should be over it.
    To the OP: I pretty much agree ^ ^ ^. It depends on the type & density of the substrate, but for sure, you don't want deep substrate over the UTH, because it becomes "insulation" that prevents the heat from rising INTO the enclosure where it's needed, & instead, it can overheat the UTH to an unsafe level.

I use UTH on all my snake's homes, & have for decades- it's most effective if you limit the amount of substrate over the UTH, but I also place the snake's "warm" hide over the UTH, so it becomes like a warm "cave" for the snake. UTH is usually low wattage & the belly-heat is appreciated (IMO) by our snakes, but depending on your ambient room/home temperatures, you might need additional heat sources to maintain the proper temperatures in the enclosure- depending on what species you're keeping.

And all heat sources must be regulated for safety & temperatures checked regularly to make sure they aren't excessive (which can cause neurological damage or even burns & death to your pet!) so please use thermostats (or in some cases, at least a rheostat -aka lamp dimmer) for safety.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-07-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast