Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,048

2 members and 3,046 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Need recommendations on a good custom cage maker

Hi everyone!

So, I have had a green iguana for over 10 years now. Initially, he had a big cage that I got off of Craigslist (I think it was 6' by 4' by 2') and I added plexiglass to the sides and it worked out really well for a few years. But, a few years later, I moved out of state and just changed him to free roaming in my apartment, with a shelf by the window, basking area, humidifier, etc. When I then moved into a house 4 years ago, I kept him free roaming (in my bedroom, similar setup with lighting and perch by the window).

So, a few months ago, there was that new regulation that passed in Florida designating green iguanas as prohibited species. It requires caging constructed of certain materials. The size requirements are like, really small for a lizard of his size; obviously, I am going to give him a much larger cage. I have till the end of October this year to get one.

I wanted to come here and ask for recommendations on custom caging. I know some sites offer custom reptile cages where you can request a certain size. The actual area he would use could be about 4' x 4' x 3' as my minimum, but there would need to be a stand and a hood adding at least 1 additional foot on the top and bottom; I don't want him to be only 4' off the ground because he won't like that, but realistically he will just go sit at the highest point of the cage and literally never come down.

I looked at boamasters and the 'customcages' site but both had some really concerning bad reviews. I am a little confused about the cage material requirements, too (having a 1/4-inch screen is NOT an option; he will cut his toes off and this aspect of the regulation is like the dumbest part. His prior one was, I think, 1/2 or 3/4-inch stainless steel so he could actually climb on it and not rip off claws). So basically, I would want acrylic/plexi sides and something that can tolerate high humidity that would adhere to the regulations.

Here is the text on the regulation for anyone who will actually help me enough to read it lol:
    https://myfwc.com/media/25817/5a-reptile-68-5007.pdf
    (indoor caging requirements start down on page 5)

Cost isn't a huge issue, because I will have time to save money for it (and might be coming into some cash from my wedding in a few months, lol), and would even be willing to get something a little nicer because I will be using it for a good 10-plus years (knock on wood) for the rest of his life, and also could use it for a future larger reptile post-iguana. Again, I have till the end of October 2021 to get the cage put together.

I have considered making one myself, but, it would have to be easy enough that I could buy materials at a local hardware store, would fit the regulations, and something I could do over one or two weekends. I am really good at following instructions, but not so great at planning it out myself, so would need a tutorial or something. I do have some tools, but honestly I'd rather just have it be made for me, because I have a lot going on right now.

tl;dr, anyone who has had a custom cage made in the past, or has recommendations, please let me know.
    Last edited by TofuTofuTofu; 05-06-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I would recommend Focus Cubed Habitats without question. They frequently do custom enclosures. Almost all of my snake enclosures have been built by them, and honestly I am eventually going to sell the remaining ones and replace them with Focus Cubed. They are courteous, communicative, and passionate keepers themselves with reptiles ranging from Boas to Geckos to a Croc Monitor - so they understand varied requirements.

Their website is https://focuscubedhabitats.com. They are also on Facebook and reply within hours at most to messages. The whole business is run by a young husband/wife team who are working 24/7. Ashley, the wife, takes care of most of the communication around orders.

If I sound like a huge fan of these guys, it's because I really am. I've got everything from my Green Tree Python to my Rainbow Boa to my little Sand Boas in their enclosures, and every enclosure has been fantastic.

Note: I have not made a custom enclosure made by them, but I've requested several custom features which they were very enthusiastic about providing. Some of those requests are now standard features offered on their website. I think some of their custom enclosures are in their gallery, though.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 05-06-2021 at 12:33 PM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2021),Hugsplox (05-06-2021),TofuTofuTofu (05-06-2021)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Given the size needed it would probably be easier to hire a local contractor and give him the specs and have what you want built right in.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

TofuTofuTofu (05-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I just chatted with the folks at Focus (a group of us are having an enclosure shipped to someone who lost his enclosure in a fire), and mentioned this situation to them. They said they'd be glad to work with you and have wondered whether they might need to do the same with their Croc Monitor, as they are worried about the trend to anti-reptile legislation.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 05-06-2021 at 01:51 PM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

TofuTofuTofu (05-06-2021)

Thanks

Re: Need recommendations on a good custom cage maker

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I just chatted with the folks at Focus (a group of us are having an enclosure shipped to someone who lost his enclosure in a fire), and mentioned this situation to them. They said they'd be glad to work with you and have wondered whether they might need to do the same with their Croc Monitor, as they are worried about the trend to anti-reptile legislation.
    Ooh, thanks for mentioning it! Yeah, I'm drawing little diagrams in my sketchbook right now to try to figure out the size of the shelves I would want, to try to maximize the indoor space but give him room to climb. His old enclosure was like this with ramps and stuff, but also some branches, and I'm trying to remember how they were set up and how I could improve on the old one. Once I figure that out, I will try contacting them with my specifications and asking for a quote. I also did find a seller on Etsy who would make me a 4' x 4' x 2' one with shelves, but that shorter depth could make it difficult for me to make efficient shelves/levels.

The legislation is unfortunate for me budget-wise, but I will hopefully be able to get a nice quality cage that I can use for decades, so am kind of looking forward to setting up something nice for my iguana.