Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 555

0 members and 555 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Enclosure Question: Height vs Depth

Quote Originally Posted by BoaCow View Post
    Interesting, am definitely leaning towards it now! What about humidity? I read that could be an issue as well with a cage that tall.
    I suppose it depends how well you think you can control humidity and how much humidity is naturally in your household. For me, my humidity is around ~30 up to 40/50 on a rainy day so bumping up humidity to 50/60/70 is very feasible with my setups.

It's true the bigger height, the more you have to adjust, but PVCs are great for humidity in general and I found using an appropriate sized water bowl near the heat source help immensely with raising it. Then if it's too much you can move the water bowl further away.

I don't know what substrate you planned on using, but in my experience Reptichip is solid for humidity. You also have the option of misting once or twice a day on top of that, which an appropriate waterproof RHP will help as well with the moisture evaporating off it.

For your heating concerns, that also depends how hot you keep your room/ house. PVCs hold heat well so depending on the wattage of the RHP it could be enough for you not to worry about it. I keep my house around 65/70 so adding an appropriate heat source to an enclosure is very feasible to get desired temps. But you also can add a UTH along with the RHP if you feel the need to do so. Some just like using a standalone RHP.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RickySRonin For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-06-2021),BoaCow (05-06-2021),Bogertophis (05-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

I was planning on a RHP as it seemed the most efficient way to heat the cage, so I suppose that does make sense. Would there be any way to help a RHP along heating up the bottom of a 24" if I go that route? I am leaning towards the T20 now but you do make a good point about heating, so I want to make sure I pick the best one I can.
    As already suggested, adding a UTH would be the option I'd choose to make sure the 'floor' wasn't too chilly. Either enclosure will work, each has pro's & con's.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BoaCow (05-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickySRonin View Post
    I suppose it depends how well you think you can control humidity and how much humidity is naturally in your household. For me, my humidity is around ~30 up to 40/50 on a rainy day so bumping up humidity to 50/60/70 is very feasible with my setups.

It's true the bigger height, the more you have to adjust, but PVCs are great for humidity in general and I found using an appropriate sized water bowl near the heat source help immensely with raising it. Then if it's too much you can move the water bowl further away.

I don't know what substrate you planned on using, but in my experience Reptichip is solid for humidity. You also have the option of misting once or twice a day on top of that, which an appropriate waterproof RHP will help as well with the moisture evaporating off it.

For your heating concerns, that also depends how hot you keep your room/ house. PVCs hold heat well so depending on the wattage of the RHP it could be enough for you not to worry about it. I keep my house around 65/70 so adding an appropriate heat source to an enclosure is very feasible to get desired temps. But you also can add a UTH along with the RHP if you feel the need to do so. Some just like using a standalone RHP.
    My house is about the same, so good to know on that humidity! Reptichip is what I use currently actually as well, and I mist frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As already suggested, adding a UTH would be the option I'd choose to make sure the 'floor' wasn't too chilly. Either enclosure will work, each has pro's & con's.
    How exactly would a UTH work with a PVC? I see Animal Plastics has the option to add heat tape, but how would I go about hooking that up to a thermostat in the PVC, as PVC seems pretty thick and hard to heat, and placement of the probe seems a lot more difficult in PVC. I currently use a heat mat hooked up to a thermostat for the large tub my boa is currently in, and I enjoy those, is there a way to hook one of those up, or what would you recommend for a UTH with a PVC?
    Last edited by BoaCow; 05-06-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I don't have AP enclosures, but any good PVC enclosure will typically have holes or notches where you can thread your temperature probes or any cords for heating/lighting elements. I haven't honestly had any difficulty setting up a temperature gradient in my 4x2x2 with an RHP. I'd order an RHP from Pro Products and talk directly with Bob, the owner there, about any concerns around adequately heating the floor area.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

BoaCow (05-06-2021)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    T25 in my opinion for a boa
    None of my boas really use any of the head space even when given decor and things to climb on and will make a lot more use of the larger floor space
    (although I also agree 30" depth is a little more annoying for cleaning)
    For the Horde!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

BoaCow (05-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I don't have AP enclosures, but any good PVC enclosure will typically have holes or notches where you can thread your temperature probes or any cords for heating/lighting elements. I haven't honestly had any difficulty setting up a temperature gradient in my 4x2x2 with an RHP. I'd order an RHP from Pro Products and talk directly with Bob, the owner there, about any concerns around adequately heating the floor area.
    Alright sounds good! I've never had a PVC before so I'm still new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    T25 in my opinion for a boa
    None of my boas really use any of the head space even when given decor and things to climb on and will make a lot more use of the larger floor space
    (although I also agree 30" depth is a little more annoying for cleaning)
    That's interesting to hear, I've been hearing a lot of conflicting things about how boas use height. Some people seem to say they prefer more floor space but some people say they use their height. My boa is currently in a tub that doesn't have much height, so I'm unsure on how she'd act with height, hence why I'm so torn here!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Re: climbing it may well just boil down to the individual snake. For example, I have a pair of Tarahumara Mountain Boas that are siblings. They're in the same sort of PVC enclosure, set up with the same heating and light systems. One of them could care less about climbing, though will occasionally sit on top of a cork round. The other is very climbey - so much so that I've offered her two separate branches to hang out on.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

BoaCow (05-06-2021)

Thanks

That's interesting to hear, I've been hearing a lot of conflicting things about how boas use height. Some people seem to say they prefer more floor space but some people say they use their height. My boa is currently in a tub that doesn't have much height, so I'm unsure on how she'd act with height, hence why I'm so torn here!
    Honestly, I wouldn't get yourself worked up over the decision. As you can see, everybody may have a preference but as long as you're meeting the snake's needs either enclosure will work out fine for you. Snakes have their individual characteristics at the end of the day like Caitlin mentioned, so if he chooses to use the height or not all that matters is he's thriving.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickySRonin For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-06-2021),BoaCow (05-06-2021)

Thanks

Post Re: Enclosure Question: Height vs Depth

Quote Originally Posted by RickySRonin View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't get yourself worked up over the decision. As you can see, everybody may have a preference but as long as you're meeting the snake's needs either enclosure will work out fine for you. Snakes have their individual characteristics at the end of the day like Caitlin mentioned, so if he chooses to use the height or not all that matters is he's thriving.
    Yeah, you're right! I'm sure she'd be fine either way, I'm just a very indecisive person haha, just wanted to get the opinions of other people who have experience with this stuff, considering I'm going to be spending $500+ on my snake's forever enclosure.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BoaCow For This Useful Post:

RickySRonin (05-06-2021)

Thanks

Yeah, you're right! I'm sure she'd be fine either way, I'm just a very indecisive person haha, just wanted to get the opinions of other people who have experience with this stuff, considering I'm going to be spending $500+ on my snake's forever enclosure.
    Trust me, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm the worst when it comes to having multiple options so I know what's going through your head Lol I hate it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RickySRonin For This Useful Post:

BoaCow (05-06-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast