Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,894

2 members and 2,892 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Feeding & Growth questions

Hi y'all,

So I have a male that's gonna turn 3yrs next month & I have had him a month now. He absolutely refuses f/t, like he turns & goes away from it, but he goes for live as soon as I throw one in. I just went from a small live rat to sm/med live rat. He has gained 100 grams since I got him from someone that fed irregularly. He is up from 780g to 902g before the new feed size. Should I start spacing his feedings out more than weekly yet or should weekly still be fine, I dont want to go from underfed to overfed.

I also have a female from same breeder with irregular feeding that will be 2yrs in a few months. She was just under 400g & is now at 500g. She would not take a small f/t rat but demolishes rat pups, I can't seem to find any weaned rats available near me. I have been giving her 2 rat pups at a time & intend to move to weaned rats until she is comfortable going to small rats as she is big enough for the small f/t my local pet shop has.

I know BPs are picky eaters but I would love any advice on if this seems like acceptable growth & how to go about upping the size & switching an adult to f/t. Thank you all kindly in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Feeding & Growth questions

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownism View Post
    Hi y'all,

So I have a male that's gonna turn 3yrs next month & I have had him a month now. He absolutely refuses f/t, like he turns & goes away from it, but he goes for live as soon as I throw one in. I just went from a small live rat to sm/med live rat. He has gained 100 grams since I got him from someone that fed irregularly. He is up from 780g to 902g before the new feed size. Should I start spacing his feedings out more than weekly yet or should weekly still be fine, I dont want to go from underfed to overfed.

I also have a female from same breeder with irregular feeding that will be 2yrs in a few months. She was just under 400g & is now at 500g. She would not take a small f/t rat but demolishes rat pups, I can't seem to find any weaned rats available near me. I have been giving her 2 rat pups at a time & intend to move to weaned rats until she is comfortable going to small rats as she is big enough for the small f/t my local pet shop has.

I know BPs are picky eaters but I would love any advice on if this seems like acceptable growth & how to go about upping the size & switching an adult to f/t. Thank you all kindly in advance!
    I've recently moved my guy up to small rats, and with that moved him to a 2 week feeding schedule. He's still gaining weight at a steady pace but not one that I'm uncomfortable with. As far as your female, you could probably ask for a small small (not a typo ask for a smaller small). In my experience every reptile store you go to who breeds/keeps their own feeders, call different sized rats different things. I actually did a side by side of a weaned from one place and a small from another and they were the same size. Doesn't mean that'll be the case for you, but it's worth asking.

I would try that instead of feeding two pups, you may get lucky and it'll be better for her.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-05-2021)

Thanks

Thank you Hugsplox!

My male is now at a small/med rat bi-weekly & I have been able to get small smalls now as well. I also have found out that a shop the next town over is a BP breeder and am going to meet them this weekend so I can see the feeder options they have as well before beginning to order online or breed rats myself.

I appreciate the feedback!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Unknownism For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownism View Post
    Thank you Hugsplox!

My male is now at a small/med rat bi-weekly & I have been able to get small smalls now as well. I also have found out that a shop the next town over is a BP breeder and am going to meet them this weekend so I can see the feeder options they have as well before beginning to order online or breed rats myself.

I appreciate the feedback!
    No problem, I'm glad it worked out for you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Unknownism (05-14-2021)