Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,404

1 members and 1,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Revamp?!?! Any help highly appreciated

I知 using a jumpstart thermostat all ready sorry I should have mentioned that before. I also have a hygrometer tucked into the substrate, I use the temp gun to spot check temps. This is my 3rd uhp and I知 just not getting the results I need. Keeping my light on sucks the humidity but keeps a comfortable ambient temp. Turning the heat lamp off holds humidity for longer but then drops too cold. He has 4 hides he tucks himself into. One hide is a classic plastic rock hide from petco the others are bark set up at all different types of angles. I guess my main thing is keeping humidity straight without killing temps. He loves hanging out with me outside of his enclosure and his demeanor seems similar from before his move. I also have insulation board on 3 of the 4 sides of his tank. He has plenty of places to hide and climb. I値l try taping the screen top again and changing bulbs. I was leaning towards an rhp because I知 not getting the consistent results I need for the little man with bulbs or uhp since I致e had him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Revamp?!?! Any help highly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by jazzhands View Post
    I知 using a jumpstart thermostat all ready sorry I should have mentioned that before. I also have a hygrometer tucked into the substrate, I use the temp gun to spot check temps. This is my 3rd uhp and I知 just not getting the results I need. Keeping my light on sucks the humidity but keeps a comfortable ambient temp. Turning the heat lamp off holds humidity for longer but then drops too cold. He has 4 hides he tucks himself into. One hide is a classic plastic rock hide from petco the others are bark set up at all different types of angles. I guess my main thing is keeping humidity straight without killing temps. He loves hanging out with me outside of his enclosure and his demeanor seems similar from before his move. I also have insulation board on 3 of the 4 sides of his tank. He has plenty of places to hide and climb. I値l try taping the screen top again and changing bulbs. I was leaning towards an rhp because I知 not getting the consistent results I need for the little man with bulbs or uhp since I致e had him.
    Another thing you may want to consider is the type and size of hides you have. It sounds like you've built some custom hides which is fine, but really you want to have at least two that are exactly the same and size appropriate. One on the warm side and one on the cool side. Your BP will choose security over warmth and may just be finding the "best" hide where he feels the most secure. This could be another reason why he isn't eating for you, along with the temperature fluctuations and humidity issues.

Also a big red flag is the amount of handling you're doing. I know you feel like he "likes" being out and being handled, but snakes don't "like" handling, they just come to tolerate it. You could never touch him and it would have no ill effects on him. You should not be handling him until he's eating consistently for you.

Lastly, and I apologize if I missed it, what I assume you're referring to going out 3 times is your UTH, I'm not sure what brand you're using but this is a little suspect to me. Can you tell us brand you're using, what you have it set to, etc etc? I've got zoomed UTHs running right now that have been going for years with no issue, so it surprises me that you're going through yours so quickly.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2021),RickySRonin (04-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Yeah, regarding UTH "going out"....I've been using heat tapes (Flexwatt- similar to brands currently being sold) & very few have quit after several decades of near-constant use. So...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (04-30-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12