Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,083

0 members and 2,083 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Ball Python constipated?

Hi (again).
    Today my ball python had do his first moult with me (he have 3 years), I think this is a success because he didn't have any sign of moult in his new skin, exept a very little piece near his cloaca (I found him on the moult so I think the piece was simple stuck) but I removed it with some warm water.
    The problem is that 10 days ago before he was in shedding I feed him and he accepted a 25/30g mouse (he weighs more or less 700g and it was the first time that I had feed him), but I don't see any trace of poop or urates. It is normal? I was prepared to find in the moult some traces of them but absolutely nothing. I heard that the urates in particular is expelled in some days after the digestion...
    I have to feed him in this period? I wanted to feed him some days after the moult but I'm don't know what I have to do...
    A note: sorry for the new post but I think that for not finish in the off topic in the previous post was better to open a new.
    Disclaimer: I read the feeding list in this site, but I noticed that in my country we give a totally different grammature for ball python and also exotic vets of my state advice this system. We give 1 or 2 25/30g mice every 7 days for ball python that weighs 500g until 1kg and only after that we start to give a 100g rat. So I just listen vets and all italian groups that take care of ball pythons
    https://ibb.co/TkXFkdp

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    It's very unlikely that your snake is constipated. Please understand that snakes have evolved to be very efficient with both water & food in order to survive in the unforgiving natural world. They do not defecate (stool or urates) once for every meal they eat, but in fact may eat a number of times before they need to expel any wastes.

And the younger your snake is, the more likely he will be compacting waste materials for a longer time, simply because he is likely to be eating younger (smaller) prey animals that are themselves more digestible, so there is less waste leftover to expel. Adult prey animals have larger bones, more fur & are more likely to have undigestible (-for a snake) materials in their gut when consumed, so they create more waste in the snake's body.

So unless you see your snake's body appearing to be bloated (aka "sausage butt") just above the cloaca, or unless you can feel some typically-round urate stones in the same area, it's far more likely that your snake just hasn't needed to "go" yet.

Sometimes the process of shedding (aka "moult") will induce them to release stool or urates, & sometimes even inside the old skin (how tidy is that?) but don't count on it. Handling a snake may also produce the same result, so when you notice your snake's body is a bit swollen just above the cloaca, please be forewarned that it's not a good time to let them snuggle inside your shirt or on your nice couch or bed. Just saying...it's something to watch for.

Your snake sounds perfectly normal to me, & most likely is waiting for more food at this time.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (04-25-2021)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python constipated?

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm more calm now, I try to read a lot of things about snakes because he it's my first snake and sometimes when I don't find informations or I have a doubt I prefer to ask, even if the question is stupid (I think that is better to worry than ignore a possible bad situation)
    A question: Can you tell me more or less in which time a ball python like mine do his things? Just an estimate
    Tomorrow I feed him and soon I'll start to build the new terrarium
    Thanks again for the answers, I always appreciate your help

Thanks
    No way to estimate the time...it's always going to vary- so stop worrying & trust that your snake knows how to be a snake. You'll know if something is wrong- it takes quite a long time if there were some sort of blockage* that made him constipated. (*Causes include excessive ingestion of un-digestible materials including wood chips & twigs or fabric, paper, etc; dehydration- & I'm sure you know about watching humidity; or even something medical like a tumor, which is very rare, could cause constipation.) Mostly just quit worrying & enjoy your pet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (04-25-2021)

Thanks

News!
    https://ibb.co/jZg6f48
    https://ibb.co/pb7CTtr
    It seems that he did the urates, what do you guys think? It's all right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edea_Tsuki View Post
    News!
    Looks fine from what I can tell. Uh, the "crumb topping" is a nice touch. Or is that finely ground chocolate? Give him a gold star...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2021 at 04:04 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (04-26-2021)

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edea_Tsuki View Post
    News!
    You know, maybe if he didn't eat so many Oreo cookies, he'd be more regular?