Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,907

3 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Hybrid View

Thanks

Bathing Ball Python? Rodent blood on Snake

Hello, I am a new member of this forum and I have received my first ball python about a week ago (April 14th). I tried feeding her four days after I got her since she seemed comfortable in her enclosure and it lined up with her old breeders feeding schedule.

She was on live mice so I tried frozen thawed and she striked fairly quickly but the rodent had kind of popped. She managed to get blood on her head and I hoped it would just wear away but it has managed to dry up on her head. So I wasn’t sure if I should just wait for her to shed and see if it comes off then or bathe her. I haven’t had her for long so I don’t want to stress her out too much by bathing her. Any feedback would be appreciated thank you!

Thanks

Re: Bathing Ball Python? Rodent blood on Snake

https://imgur.com/a/tuRKDbB

Here is a photo of her
    Last edited by CJai; 04-22-2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: photo reference

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    Personally, I wouldn't advise "bathing her" but do take a spray bottle with plain water & "rain on her head" some, then gently wipe it off with a bit of toweling. Not a big deal, but I'd clean it off- just wait a good 2 days from when she ate, so in case this upsets her anyway, she'll be unlikely to barf up her meal.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-23-2021),CJai (04-23-2021),Luvyna (04-22-2021)

Thanks

Re: Bathing Ball Python? Rodent blood on Snake

Congrats on your new BP and it's a great sign that she is eating

I agree with what Bogertophis suggested! Damp paper towel would be the best way to go.

BPs are stressed by baths because they hate the sensation of losing traction in the water. I'd only recommend baths for 3 scenarios:

1. Dehydration
    2. Stuck shed
    3. Constipation

If you want to avoid handling her for now I've also found snakes are surprisingly good at cleaning themselves up if you give them some time. You might find that most of the blood has crumbled off after a few more days as they'll rub on stuff in the enclosure to get it off (just make sure you clean the enclosure regularly).

Also, to avoid popping or bleeding F/T rodents, it helps to thaw the food slowly (~2-3 hours out of the fridge or a day inside the fridge) and then heat it up by submerging it in warm water or using a hair dryer. Heating up a rodent too quickly (e.g. straight from freezer to warm water) increases the chances the rodent will bleed, or worse, explode!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

CJai (04-23-2021)