Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 673

0 members and 673 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new Leo, Aya

Thanks

Re: My new Leo, Aya

Quote Originally Posted by Courage View Post
    Alright, I put in a layer of tile and it is now 91 degrees. And I am moderating carefully. I am debating wether to put another one in. I think I will leave it until I can get a different situation.
    It's now a steady 88.6 degrees
    My new Leo, Aya

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Courage For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2021),Erie_herps (04-30-2021),Hugsplox (04-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

It's now a steady 88.6 degrees
    That's perfect in my opinion. Just keep an eye on it and make sure you get yourself a thermostat ordered as soon as possible. You don't have to spend a ton of money, I've linked the one I use below. I've used the Jumpstart brand for years with no issues, but they have the same short comings that most cheaper thermostats have. If they fail, they'll fail in the "on" position. I've never had this happen, but that doesn't mean it can't and it's something to think about as far as long term care. Erie also mentioned Inkbird thermostats, which are a bit cheaper than Jumpstart and I've heard good things about them, but I've never used them myself. You can find those on Amazon as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Ger...dDbGljaz10cnVl

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2021),Courage (04-21-2021)

Thanks
    Ok, that sounds good. I have been moderating it and it drops to about 86 at night and 89 in the middle of the day. I am looking at the Inkbird thermostats.
    My new Leo, Aya

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Courage For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2021),dakski (04-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Courage,

Congrats on Aya! You've already gotten good advice here.

A few quick thoughts to help ensure that Aya has a great life with you.

1. A thermostat is a must. See #3 - you might want two, or one that does two devices. Probably cheaper to get two single outlet thermostats vs. 1 dual thermostat.

2. Any new reptile, including LG's, need time to settle in and become comfortable. It's very good she's eating for you, but not super that she isn't coming out of the hide. Give her some time to acclimate - like 2-3 weeks, before you start handling her, etc. You can move her to a storage container if you need to clean her tank, but I wouldn't be spending too much time with her, especially out of the tank for now. It will end up being counter-productive.

3. How are you heating the cool side? 75F is low for day temps. Some people drop the whole tank a few degrees, or more, at night, but I am not a fan of this. I almost always feed my nocturnal animals at night and want them to be able to start digestion. To be clear, it's not dangerously low, but it will potentially keep her from thermoregulating. A UTH will only heat above it, and not air temps. Have you thought about a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) or a small red/blue light for night time viewing and 24 hour heat?

All heating devices need to be on a thermostat.

4. She will come around on eating different food items. Give her time. Also, see #2 - she may just need some time to start hunting and #3 she might want to eat at night.

So far, it sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep us posted on her growth and post any questions you have. We are here to help.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Courage (04-30-2021),Hugsplox (04-22-2021)

Thanks

Ok thanks so much! A friend has been saying they have a thermostat they can give me, but haven't gotten around too it, so I am looking into just pulling the trigger and getting them from amazon even if she did have one available. Aya is doing good, I have been putting my hand in the tank for a few minutes about every other day and she is roaming around on her tank. Even going on the hammock I have in there. Her temperature is a steady 90. Which she seems fine with but I may lower. She is eating mealworms out of my hand and enjoys crickets. I am not heating her cool side any, but it's 96 Fahrenheit in our house and the breeder told me that was fine. The only thing besides the thermostat I am kinda worried about is Aya looks like she is about to shed in the next day or so and I will be camping. I have family here to check on her, but they don't know anything about leopard geckos so wouldn't be able to help her and there is no internet where I am going. But it's only 2 days so I think she will be fine especially because she has done it before and they do it in the wild. Thoughts about that?
    My new Leo, Aya

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Ok thanks so much! A friend has been saying they have a thermostat they can give me, but haven't gotten around too it, so I am looking into just pulling the trigger and getting them from amazon even if she did have one available. Aya is doing good, I have been putting my hand in the tank for a few minutes about every other day and she is roaming around on her tank. Even going on the hammock I have in there. Her temperature is a steady 90. Which she seems fine with but I may lower. She is eating mealworms out of my hand and enjoys crickets. I am not heating her cool side any, but it's 96 Fahrenheit in our house and the breeder told me that was fine. The only thing besides the thermostat I am kinda worried about is Aya looks like she is about to shed in the next day or so and I will be camping. I have family here to check on her, but they don't know anything about leopard geckos so wouldn't be able to help her and there is no internet where I am going. But it's only 2 days so I think she will be fine especially because she has done it before and they do it in the wild. Thoughts about that?
    I think you may have a typo in there, did you mean to say your house is 96 degrees? A little warm for me lol and I would say a tad too warm for your LG if that's the case.

As far as shedding is concerned, I just provide a humid hide for my guys when he's in shed. You can do this by just lightly misting the paper towel under a hide, or with some damp moss, either way is fine. These guys will eat their shed, so don't be alarmed when you get home if Aya is back to normal and you can't find shed anywhere in the enclosure.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2021),Courage (04-30-2021),dakski (04-30-2021),Erie_herps (04-30-2021)

Thanks

Thanks so much! Aya just shed-- which was surprising because I thought she would do it later. She still has about a mealworm-size of shed stuck to her head she has been trying to get off for about an hour. Not sure when I should step in. I might do it in the morning? Her hide is moist and everything is off and gone except that piece on her forehead/neck. I feel bad for her but don't want to hurt her. I have water and cotton balls at the ready.

Yes, lol, that was a typo, it's 76 degrees in our house, (so for her cool hide/side) and 90 in her hot hide.
    My new Leo, Aya

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12