Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

2 members and 2,814 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Rosy boa upside down

It's nothing serious, this is more of a curious inquiry. Since day one, Pretzel my rosy boa would sometimes look at me upside down instead of turning around like the other snakes do. Also, when she is flipped over, she may stay that way for a period of time too. This doesn't bother her, her appetite is great (She tried to eat my hand), and is growing like a weed. It reminds of the spider wobble in ball pythons, she doesn't seem to try to hard to 'right' herself. She also has a slight wobble. This behavior usually shows when she is excited for food. Most of the time, she doesn't wobble and looks at me correctly. Do rosy's have this kind of defect too? Her locality appear to be somewhat rare, I wonder if some inbreeding may have occurred too.

Not knowing what this is, I am going to give up my plan on breeding her even if she grows out of it.

Her temps are at 88 hot spot, 75-77 cold temp, and heat mat is on a herpstat. I think she is born like this?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    I've never seen that in the limited number of rosy boas that I've kept & bred, but they weren't even remotely related, so no potential issues with inbreeding for fancy color or location.

It sounds to me like a defect similar to the spider wobble, so I personally wouldn't breed her either- sorry about your plans to breed. It could also be some neurological damage from being overheated at some point, but I don't know of any way to prove which one it is. I've not heard of this in rosy boas, but I'm truly not into breeding them these days, so you can't tell much from that- I'm just not in that loop.

How old is she now & how long have you had her? From your description (growing like a weed) I assume she's young? You obviously got her this way.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2021 at 10:22 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Cheesenugget (04-19-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Rosy boa upside down

Born September 2020. I think I got her in January, before the Texas freeze. She was like that from the box too, she was flipped on her back. I thought it was FedEx rough handling so I didn't think much of it, especially she seems otherwise healthy. But looking back, it is strange seeing her flipped like that and not trying to right herself. I had other snakes come in the mail and if flipped over during mailing, they would flip back.

Thanks
    I've never had any snake like that. I'm surprised you didn't contact the source right away. I suppose it could also have been FedEx's rough handling? I assume you're keeping her quarantined also, just in case it turns out to be something viral+.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Cheesenugget (04-19-2021),dakski (04-19-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Rosy boa upside down

It didn't cross my mind that something may be off about her. Don't know why, especially she came from a long time reputable breeder so I guess I didn't think this would come up. I'm not going to buy again from that breeder anyway due to a different reason. And yes, it could be FedEx, who knows? It's okay, I love this noodle so she'll join the rest of the pet only collection 🙂. And yes, she is still under 6-month quarantine.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2021),dakski (04-19-2021)

Thanks
    Well honestly, I've known well &/or raised at least 60 rosy boas (& still have one pet rosy), & I've never seen one do what you describe, so it does concern me- I hope that at least it's nothing contagious or that threatens her health & longevity beyond making her "unique". Short of a lab test, you might want to extend that 6 month quarantine, just in case?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (04-19-2021)