Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 519

1 members and 518 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    You are correct, I don’t want to burn anything down lol. I have another smaller heat mat. Are you suggesting putting it in the cool side on a lower temp?

Thank you for your the advice. We just want our little guy to be happy and healthy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshuaRStacy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: Does my BP hate his substrate?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaRStacy View Post
    You are correct, I don’t want to burn anything down lol. I have another smaller heat mat. Are you suggesting putting it in the cool side on a lower temp?

Thank you for your the advice. We just want our little guy to be happy and healthy.

Not "in" the enclosure at all. "UTH" goes outside, underneath. Your warmest area should be at one end, the coolest (unheated if room temps allow) at the other end, so additional UTH might help in between those 2 areas...the smaller mat would go in the "middle", set to a lower temp. Try that & see. When you get this creative, you really have to test things out.

In general, UTH is not known for raising ambient enclosure temps. but heat rises, & in a drawer that's only 7" high (assuming I understood you correctly?) it should be raising your ambient temps. pretty well. People say it doesn't raise ambient temps because most enclosures are taller than this, & heating lots of air space IS a challenge for UTH alone. Just never heat the entire floor: for safety reasons, your snake needs to be able to get away from the warmth as needed, & for the middle area, try for low-to mid-80's.

For what you're doing, UTH seems much safer- as they're usually low wattage, compared to CHE's. But all heat devices need controlled by t-stats.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JoshuaRStacy (04-18-2021)

Thanks
    Yes I will put it under not in. Ok great thank you very much! I will try that and monitor it for the next week and see where I’m at from there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshuaRStacy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12