Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,887

3 members and 2,884 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: How do you report an irresponsible/abusive Ball Python breeder?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Repticon does not vet vendors and has turned a blind eye to a lot of shenanigans over the years so I won't attend their expos. The only vendor I know of that Repticon actually banned from its shows was brought up on charges for a long list of crimes related to reptile smuggling.
    In that case, spread the word when you can, don't attend, & hope they lose business. I've never attended one & had no idea. That's pathetic & wrong.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2021 at 10:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Will definitely have to make a mental note to check what reptile conventions actually vet their vendors, that's for sure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Vote with your dollar and thoroughly vet the vendors in advance yourselves, folks. Don’t support those with unethical practices and educate others about shady businesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-19-2021),Bogertophis (04-19-2021),dakski (04-19-2021),Hugsplox (04-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Will definitely have to make a mental note to check what reptile conventions actually vet their vendors, that's for sure.
    Very few do, they're more interested in ensuring all of the tables get rented.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2021),jmcrook (04-19-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Very few do, they're more interested in ensuring all of the tables get rented.
    ...So basically just don't go to a reptile convention is what you're telling me. Or at bare minimum, don't buy anything from one.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

...So basically just don't go to a reptile convention is what you're telling me. Or at bare minimum, don't buy anything from one.
    Incorrect. The venue is a business that is supported by the vendors buying tables. That’s the extent of their business relationship. If you give money to the unethical vendors at said venue you are reinforcing and validating the business they have provided to the venue. It is always the buyer’s responsibility to ensure they are buying from a responsible business, not the other way around. See my previous post.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2021),dakski (04-19-2021),Hugsplox (04-20-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Incorrect. The venue is a business that is supported by the vendors buying tables. That’s the extent of their business relationship. If you give money to the unethical vendors at said venue you are reinforcing and validating the business they have provided to the venue. It is always the buyer’s responsibility to ensure they are buying from a responsible business, not the other way around. See my previous post.

I mean moreso the fact of higher risk when buying animals at a convention in general because of unscrupulous vendors. Obviously you would avoid them on principle but that doesn't necessarily save you if their stock can potentially infect everything else at the show.

A wise person will obviously quarantine new animals no matter what, but my point is there's a bit more of a gamble at play when picking up from such places no matter how carefully you've selected.

But I suppose that's the catch 22. The benefits of getting to inspect so many animals in person that you'd normally only see static pictures of online would make the potential higher risk worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

I mean moreso the fact of higher risk when buying animals at a convention in general because of unscrupulous vendors. Obviously you would avoid them on principle but that doesn't necessarily save you if their stock can potentially infect everything else at the show.

A wise person will obviously quarantine new animals no matter what, but my point is there's a bit more of a gamble at play when picking up from such places no matter how carefully you've selected.

But I suppose that's the catch 22. The benefits of getting to inspect so many animals in person that you'd normally only see static pictures of online would make the potential higher risk worth it.
    You're correct. Expos have elements of both positive & negative. Getting to see & compare all the animals first-hand, & also getting to actually meet the breeders & ask questions is a real plus.

The downside is that undesirable things (mites & microbes) are easily shared too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12