Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

6 members and 2,961 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Don't worry about it- tech issues "happen".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Why are African rock pythons uncommon in the hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by amtz.zero View Post
    Ok, I think I figured out the issue with my pics. My phone has been saving pics as "heic" files. I changed that so hopefully it works now. Sorry to the op for derailing the thread a bit.
    Nah it's all good. This thread was basically "done" anyway.

Do look forward to your posts though. Haven't really seen anybody talk about owning a ARP so it'll be fun seeing how she grows in both size and personality.

Thanks
    necroing this thread just to say that i think a lot of it is endemic to the mountain of misinformation which exists about large constrictor snakes in general - like i had to search and search and search to find out the average size of an adult female is 12-13 feet - so i think that’s a factor, particularly, when combined with the reputation of their attitudes/temperaments which all sort of culminated into this stereotyped image of “18+ foot, super thicc, super mean beastie”

it’s truly sad because it’s honestly so so far from the truth - temperament wise, in the wild, they’re naturally cryptic, shy, timid, etc (much like Burms) and that’s been my experience in captivity - it’s truly been incredible - i barely even needed to work with ARP to get him tame compared to some of my Burms which have taken several weeks/months to get to the same level - mine is F4-F5 so maybe that has something to do with it but still! no one but my BCIs have been that way right off the bat which i think really speaks to the species
    het for nothing but groovy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-22-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Why are African rock pythons uncommon in the hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    necroing this thread just to say that i think a lot of it is endemic to the mountain of misinformation which exists about large constrictor snakes in general - like i had to search and search and search to find out the average size of an adult female is 12-13 feet - so i think that’s a factor, particularly, when combined with the reputation of their attitudes/temperaments which all sort of culminated into this stereotyped image of “18+ foot, super thicc, super mean beastie”

it’s truly sad because it’s honestly so so far from the truth - temperament wise, in the wild, they’re naturally cryptic, shy, timid, etc (much like Burms) and that’s been my experience in captivity - it’s truly been incredible - i barely even needed to work with ARP to get him tame compared to some of my Burms which have taken several weeks/months to get to the same level - mine is F4-F5 so maybe that has something to do with it but still! no one but my BCIs have been that way right off the bat which i think really speaks to the species
    Even David Attenborough works have sensationalized big constrictor sizes. I remember a scene in a series called Life in Cold Blood with an ARP and it being claimed they get 20 feet long. And again in the very same documentary they showcased an anaconda, once again denoting it as one of the biggest of all snakes. Except all the footage was of a yellow anaconda.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-23-2023),Homebody (02-23-2023),YungRasputin (02-28-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12