Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,432

2 members and 3,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    In this photo, I couldn't tell that was screen in the middle- https://ibb.co/Vqx484n Thanks for the added photos, now it makes sense. So apparently there's just not enough ventilation to dissipate the amount of water you added into the coconut fiber substrate. Having used the same stuff a few times (long ago), it's easy to get it too wet. How you prefer to dry it out is up to you.
    (Many glass tanks have all screen on top- that's not the case with yours though.)

If you spread some in a large metal baking- or-lasagna pan to "bake" it, you wouldn't necessarily want to bake it dry- just accelerate the evaporation of the excess water. As I said, on a low temperature (150* F- that's 65.5* C, btw) it's quite safe- but for something like an hour, & under observation. Sun isn't as hot (even if you live in the desert) so it takes longer, that's all. Your call.

I've never used a 'vaporizer' but while that would work for solid items, it sounds like it might dry out & then blow your substrate around? That might be messy?

Different ways to get to the same place- your choice- & it's not a huge "emergency".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-16-2021 at 08:15 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (04-17-2021)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Re: Please urgent! Help with humidity in terrarium

Yes you can use your air conditioner in your room and it naturally is a dehumidifier so you probably dont need to use both a dehumidifier and an air conditioner. The thing is you can't see bad humidity conditions for your health. Just because you dont see mold doesn't mean your health is not effected. You should get a humidity gauge for your room and for the terrarium. Because both are going to be a lot different. First and foremost get your room to stay at or below 55% humidity. Next get your terrarium humidity at 55%. The easiest way that I have found to do this is to place a bed sheet over the terrarium in order to maintain a consistent 55% humidity. It will also keep your temperature more consistent. I hope you are not using a heat lamp. If you are using a heat lamp than you cannot put the bed sheet over your terrarium. I hope this helps. For now I would run the air conditioner or dehumidifier in your room until you get your humidity gauge.
    Checkout my YouTube channel! I post Ball Python Morph Combo videos daily: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXr...7cOR5pcCONzvtA

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

It looks like you have a pretty nice setup. I just looked at your pictures of your cage. It probably already does a good job at maintaining a good humidity; so once you get your humidity gauge in your tank give us a follow up post and let us know what it is reading.
    Checkout my YouTube channel! I post Ball Python Morph Combo videos daily: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXr...7cOR5pcCONzvtA

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JacksReptiles For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (04-17-2021)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacksReptiles View Post
    Get you a temp/humidity gauge and put it inside the tank. Try to keep it at 55 percent humidity. I have had my snakes go above that but dont let it stay there for along time. A couple days of high humidity has been fine for my snakes. If it stays than you need to rethink your habitat. Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure? I want to see what it looks like at the top. What do you have covering it? What kind of room do you have your snake in? How are you keeping the humidity? Are you running a humidifier? Or is the room just always humid? You might need a dehumidifier for the room. I have a weeping foundation so I have to have a dehumifier or else I would get sick. You got to remember about your health and the snakes health. If your living in a room above 55% humidity you can get mold problems and thats not good for your health or the snakes.
    Forget about what I said about using a towel over your tank. I said that before I looked at your pictures of your terrarium. You probably won't need to use a towel; in fact it doesn't look like your terrarium has much ventilation but i think once we get a humidity reading we will have a better idea on this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JacksReptiles For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (04-17-2021)

Thanks

Thanks
    Sorry for the multiple posts, I notice now that you guys answered to me.
    I've never used a 'vaporizer' but while that would work for solid items, it sounds like it might dry out & then blow your substrate around? That might be messy?
    Nono, I want to use the vaporizer only for the wood before put it in the terrarium hahaha

this photo, I couldn't tell that was screen in the middle-:cens0r:https://ibb.co/Vqx484n:cens0r:Thanks for the added photos, now it makes sense. So apparently there's just not enough ventilation to dissipate the amount of water you added into the coconut fiber substrate. Having used the same stuff a few times (long ago), it's easy to get it too wet. How you prefer to dry it out is up to you.
    (Many glass tanks have all screen on top- that's not the case with yours though.)

If you spread some in a large metal baking- or-lasagna pan to "bake" it, you wouldn't necessarily want to bake it dry- just accelerate the evaporation of the excess water. As I said, on a low temperature (150* F- that's 65.5* C, btw) it's quite safe- but for something like an hour, & under observation. Sun isn't as hot (even if you live in the desert) so it takes longer, that's all. Your call.
    And I just used half of the water that the product tells to use for rehydrating the fiber! In the instruction there was write that you have to use 7l for 18 l of fiber hahaha
    In any case, I'll try to leave the fiber in the sun (I have already it in this way 3/4 days with today). If this method doesn't work in a week I put it in the oven

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Edea_Tsuki For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-17-2021)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    If it were me I would probably get a new enclosure. Cause it doesn't look like you will have a way to bring enough ventilation in there. But Let us know when you get a humidity reading in there and that will tell us alot.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JacksReptiles View Post
    If it were me I would probably get a new enclosure. Cause it doesn't look like you will have a way to bring enough ventilation in there. But Let us know when you get a humidity reading in there and that will tell us alot.
    Jacks: The OP has already said they plan for a new enclosure. Again, please read the threads before responding. It cuts down on confusion for the OP, & makes your posts relevant. OK?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (04-18-2021),Hugsplox (04-17-2021),jmcrook (04-17-2021),Spicey (04-17-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12