Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,588

0 members and 2,588 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

RIP - Sweet Cleo

Today I had to say goodbye to Cleo, my almost nine year-old Leopard Gecko. She had been slowing down over the past few months and had a minor mouth issues followed by an eye issue, which is why I brought her to the vet today. The vet found, what she firmly believed, to be a cancerous tumor in her stomach area. This would explain the lack of appetite and some lethargy. Her colors were starting to fade a little and she just wasn't herself anymore. I was somewhat prepared and asked the vet if the mouth and the eye etc. were acute or indicative of a bigger issues. It seems the cancer was draining her immune system and causing her pain, hence the ancillary issues.

The vet offered to do a biopsy, blood test, ultrasound, but said that would only be worth it if i was willing to give Cleo Chemo to treat the cancer. Frankly, I've know the vet for a while, and she encouraged me to euthanize Cleo if I had reservations about putting her through all that. I did. Katie and I talked and we felt it was best to let Cleo go peacefully. I said goodbye and Cleo even let me rub he head a little and nudged me gently. She went peacefully and quickly.

She will be missed.

There is a small chance that it wasn't cancer, but I wasn't going to put her through a barrage of tests, especially knowing she is already in pain, and given her age and female leopard gecko life expectancy (8-12 years).

The vet offered to have me donate her body to science, meaning an autopsy would be performed and we will have answers, and others can hopefully benefit from what we learn. I decided to do that. The vet asked if I would have regrets if they found something potentially treatable, and I said no. Especially if it meant putting through uncomfortable treatment.

Cleo was a special gecko. She came to see me 85% of the time I opened her tank door. She would walk onto my hand and was great advocate for reptiles everywhere. She was incredibly calm and docile and enjoyed chin rubs and head rubs. I will miss greatly. We had a great 8+ years together and I will having nothing but fond memories of my beautiful little girl.

RIP Cleo. You will be missed. Have a safe journey over the rainbow bridge and I hope they have plenty of wax worms and hornworms (her favorites) on the other side.

Here are some pics right before she was euthanized.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (04-15-2021),GoingPostal (04-15-2021),Kam (04-15-2021),richardhind1972 (04-15-2021),Toad37 (04-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Aw, so sorry, rest in peace, pretty little Cleo. I wouldn't have put her through chemo or surgery either- the other issues make sense, in light of the new findings, & I'd have made the same choices not to let her suffer etc. If you find out more from the necropsy, I hope you'll share that here too. She looks very robust in those photos, but you can tell when an animal feels poorly.

R.I.P. Cleo
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-14-2021),GoingPostal (04-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: RIP - Sweet Cleo

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Aw, so sorry, rest in peace, pretty little Cleo. I wouldn't have put her through chemo or surgery either- the other issues make sense, in light of the new findings, & I'd have made the same choices not to let her suffer etc. If you find out more from the necropsy, I hope you'll share that here too. She looks very robust in those photos, but you can tell when an animal feels poorly.

R.I.P. Cleo
    Thank you Bogertophis. I will let everyone know what the results show.

I appreciate your empathy, kind words, and validation. I know I did the right thing, but this one stings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    ... I know I did the right thing, but this one stings.
    I know, sorry for your loss...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

So sorry to hear this, dakski. My deepest condolences. See you over the rainbow bridge, Cleo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    My condolences for your loss dakski. Hopefully even in death, Cleo can help scientists learn more about her kind and potentially help her kin in the future.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-15-2021)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

So sorry to hear this dave

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your wife. Cleo was beautiful. RIP beautiful girl.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-15-2021)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I would have made the same choice, it's always tough but you have to look at quality of life, lifespan etc, and often treatment is so hard on bodies it's not much of a cure. A peaceful passing is the kindest thing you can offer. She was clearly loved and well cared for and had a nice long life with you!

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I was so sad to see this when I signed in this morning. I know when her eye issue first came up we spoke on your thread briefly about it, but I had hoped that the lack of updates was good news. If there can be a silver lining to these things, it's that she isn't in pain anymore. I would have made the same call if I were in your shoes, but I know validation and even certainty of outcome doesn't make the call any easier to make.

Still, I think you made the best call for Cleo, and I'm so happy that you got the time you got together. People take for granted the bonds that form with such tiny little creatures, but those few of us who have that bond know exactly how lucky we are.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-15-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast