Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,950

0 members and 2,950 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Cool Hide Temp

Thanks

Cool Hide Temp

Hello all, this is my first post here. I have an almost 9 year old male BP in a 50 gallon (48” long) aquarium. On the floor outside of the cool hide, it’s about 82 degrees. However, inside the hide is about 74. Should I warm up the hide even more by placing the CHE (60 watt) directly/half over it? The cool hide is also a humid hide with damp sphagnum moss inside. Warm hide is about 90 with a 100 watt CHE and UTH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Cool Hide Temp

If your cool side is in the low 80s like that I'm not sure you need to stress about this at all. Your snake will move around to thermoregulate, as long as its eating and shedding well I don't know that you have anything to worry about.

Now if it really bothers you, what you could do instead of a CHE is use a smaller UTH to bump the heat up a little in the cool hide. Since that's your humid hide, I'd be a little concerned that even a lower wattage CHE might dry your moss up quicker than you'd like. What you can do instead is put a UTH on a thermostat on that side as well, and just turn it down to 76-79, somewhere in there.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 04-14-2021 at 09:05 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2021)

Thanks

Re: Cool Hide Temp

Thank you very much for your reply. Maybe I will give a small UTH a try on that side to warm up the hide a few degrees. I was worried it may not work since that cave has a bottom to it. I have been paying much closer attention to my parameters since he has a RI and hasn’t eaten for almost 2 months now. Yesterday was shot #3 out of 10, given every 3 days. Was thinking it was caused by either the cool side being too cool or the low humidity, so I got the humid hide and the 60 watt CHE for that side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk