Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,939

1 members and 2,938 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: BP not Eating

Thanks

Re: BP not Eating

Wilbanks said live rat pup, i didn't ask what color if any color at all? I tried a white rat pup and Wilbanks said to leave it overnight, didn't work

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    You never want any part of the snake's home to be over 90* and since your snake is ground-dwelling (not flying around in the middle of the cage ) I'd suggest you go by the "floor" temp.

Most likely your thermometer is not accurate- many such things are very poor quality, especially those round-stick-on types sold cheaply by pet stores. If that's what you're using, I'd suggest you invest in an accurate temp. gun & throw those away.

When you talking about the difference between keeping a snake healthy or endangering their life with a 5 degree difference, you really have to make sure, don't you think? Excess heat can cause permanent neurological damage in snakes, or result in serious & painful burns or their death. And the heat can really build up in an enclosed cage from a 100 watt bulb- which is why it (and ALL heating devices) should be connected to a thermostat for safety. Obviously it's not, & that is a recipe for disaster.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    Wilbanks said live rat pup, i didn't ask what color if any color at all? I tried a white rat pup and Wilbanks said to leave it overnight, didn't work
    Then per their instructions you should have been contacting them, right? But your husbandry issues (improper hides, & handling the snake to feed in a side container) weren't fixed either- that makes all the difference. If you're not willing to follow the instructions, maybe you really should re-home the snake, as mentioned in your first post.

Your snake wants to survive, but when you're not providing what it needs, it's never going to eat or do well. It's in your hands, the snake is only a captive.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-17-2021 at 03:00 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (04-17-2021),RickySRonin (04-17-2021),Spicey (04-17-2021)

Thanks

Can you tell me "around" what months snakes usually shed? thx

Thanks

i put the new hides in today, going to work on the humidity problem now, i did what Wilbanks said, feed a live rat pup, also to leave in cage overnight, i wrote them a email and that it did not work..They didnt respond back after that, then i saw this site, and going to give it a try..I am sick with worry myself, i got so much advice BUT some owner's say "Do That" and next owner will say "Dont do that", can you see where im coming from?

Thanks

Can you tell me "around" what months snakes usually shed? thx
    Any time of year. Shedding means growth, & without eating, they do not grow. You NEED to get this snake eating, or in the hands of someone who can.

The Wilbanks site did not say to email...it said to CALL. Many breeders get way to much email to sort thru...they're busy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (04-18-2021),jmcrook (04-18-2021)

Thanks

ill call tomorrow, according to their site a 3rd option would be trying a live Mouse Hopper, i wont try that unless they say so, the snakes eyes look a little white, thats why i was asking about shedding...

Thanks

i put the new hides in today, going to work on the humidity problem now, i did what Wilbanks said, feed a live rat pup, also to leave in cage overnight, i wrote them a email and that it did not work..They didnt respond back after that, then i saw this site, and going to give it a try..I am sick with worry myself, i got so much advice BUT some owner's say "Do That" and next owner will say "Dont do that", can you see where im coming from?
    Yes, I can see that you're only half-listening to too many people & then trying to say you did what was called for. You didn't. (Any guess why this site is called Ball-Pythons.net?)

A new snake needs a home that is set up properly ahead of time- that means the right temperatures, humidity and hides so he feels safe enough to settle in & eat.

Since you didn't do that, you need to start over after giving him time now (about a week with NO interruptions or handling), watch for the signs* that he's hungry, & offer the proper prey- a live rat pup. Just because you offered a live rat pup before & he didn't take it does not mean you don't have to try again. He's not eating, it's your fault, & yes, you need to try again until you get him eating.

*Signs he's looking for food: most likely evening, he's looking out of his hide- NOT roaming in cage. Keep lights dim & your activity very minimal, & follow the instructions given by Wilbanks! I'm not going to repeat it all here, you can read.

Thanks

...the snakes eyes look a little white, thats why i was asking about shedding...
    Can you post pics? IF he's in shed, you definitely don't want to offer prey right now.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks

Im not to cell phone savy, i dont use the camera or video options to often, i just use it to call and go online, i can try later, she's in her new cool side hide now, dont want to disturb her

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast