Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,651

3 members and 1,648 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: BP not Eating

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: BP not Eating

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    So far my B.P has eaten 3 times live now, i want to try again with the F/T feed soon, but i have so many concerns when i think about it..I feel like the Grim Reaper picking out a mouse from the pet store that im sending to its death bed in a few hours later..The last time i did it, The mouse bite me, no big deal, but i worry about my B.P getting bitten by a mouse or a rat later on if i keep this up. I do like i should, drop the mouse in the enclosure, turn out the lights and walk away..Some times i check in about 10 minutes later and the snake still has not eaten the mouse yet, its almost like she likes the thrill of the hunt? She will be 1 year old in July and adult mice will not be enough pretty soon, the switch from adult mice to small rats is approaching..One big problem i have to address now is, my bonding with the snake, when she went 5 weeks without eating, i did not holder then for obvious reasons, then after the 1st live feeding, came a lengthily shed period(she did eat during that) so i did not want to handle her during that, dah...She hides all the time, very rarely does she come out.. When i first got her, she would come out at nights and "play", she liked to wind herself around the temperature gauge mounted on the wall of her enclosure.. What im getting at is, she will have to switch from live to frozen, maybe from mice to rats and and from a nice dark enclosure alone to my ugly "mug"a foot or so away from her, waving a limp dead rodent in front of her waiting for a strike, maybe 5, 10, 15 minutes or longer? is there even a enough room for her to strike at the rodent when she's all balled up in her hide? now im reading all the tricks other people use, wet or dry rodent, use blow dryer, stick a needle in rodents head for extra sent, just so many, sometimes i feel overwhelmed by all of this...which all goes back to the main reason for all these problems, ME!!! thx for reading thru all of this
    I'd try the hairdryer method , it works a treat if you follow the suggested method . I'll send it to by PM

There's no way you want to be dropping a live Rat in with your precious snake and leaving them together .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-30-2021),Bogertophis (05-29-2021),Hugsplox (06-01-2021),Thomas S (05-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I'd try the hairdryer method , it works a treat if you follow the suggested method . I'll send it to by PM

There's no way you want to be dropping a live Rat in with your precious snake and leaving them together .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yea you shouldn't under any circumstances be leaving a live feeder alone with your snake. Dropping a feeder in and walking away is what'll get your snake bit in my opinion. While you're feeding live keep a pair of feeding thongs on hand and redirect any bites that come. I still have one snake eating live, and I've found that if I leave the feeder on top of his enclosure for about 30 minutes prior to trying to feed, he'll be out looking for it and the process is very quick.

You can feed live safely, or at least safer than the method you're using, so don't get discouraged if she gives you a hard time transitioning. I'm a firm believer that MOST snakes will transition to F/T but that doesn't mean all snakes will. So in the event that yours won't, don't get bummed out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-01-2021)

Thanks

has anyone that is live feeding ever have a B.P; strike at the mouse, coil it, kill it, uncoil and then not eat it right away?

Thanks

BP not Eating

Last edited by Zincubus; 06-20-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks

yeah cant get too bummed out if it don't work. i was looking at B.P's for sale online, a website, I wont mention its name, but it tells you what the snake is currently eating, i was quite surprised to see some older snakes(9 months and up) are still eating live mice and rats, whether the breeders are actually trying or not trying to teach their B.P's to eat F/T, i wouldn't know, but probably half of the snakes, even young ones, under a year, have made the change to F/T, the odds are in my favor only IF i do everything right!

Thanks

BP not Eating

yeah cant get too bummed out if it don't work. i was looking at B.P's for sale online, a website, I wont mention its name, but it tells you what the snake is currently eating, i was quite surprised to see some older snakes(9 months and up) are still eating live mice and rats, whether the breeders are actually trying or not trying to teach their B.P's to eat F/T, i wouldn't know, but probably half of the snakes, even young ones, under a year, have made the change to F/T, the odds are in my favor only IF i do everything right!
    It’s all so different over here in the uk .. we aren’t allowed to feed LIVE so you just find ways to get them to eat thawed frozen.. as you all know I swear by the hairdryer method.

Oddly enough breeders / reptile stores simply aren’t even allowed to sell snakes that aren’t feeding on thawed so it’s a completely different landscape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro hi
    Last edited by Zincubus; 06-20-2021 at 12:16 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-20-2021),nikkubus (06-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

has anyone that is live feeding ever have a B.P; strike at the mouse, coil it, kill it, uncoil and then not eat it right away?
    Yup, you bet. That usually happens because the human is "hovering" near the snake, making them too nervous to eat. More likely to happen if feeding in daytime also, because BPs usually hunt & eat at night, when they feel less "exposed" to other predators that may have THEM for lunch. This is why we suggest feeding BPs at night, & in dim room lights- as dark as you can manage if you have a fussy eater.

When feeding a shy, nervous snake, learn to move very slowly so as not to be noticed by the snake. Once they grab it, slowly move back to watch from a distance, and/or DO NOT MOVE- not a bit!

Just don't leave the room with the cage still open, or you may forget & by the time you remember, the snake will be out & exploring. But do NOT close the cage right when the snake grabs food & is trying to eat, as many will drop it right then in favor of hiding, feeling threatened by your commotion. OK?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-21-2021),Zincubus (06-20-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yup, you bet. That usually happens because the human is "hovering" near the snake, making them too nervous to eat. More likely to happen if feeding in daytime also, because BPs usually hunt & eat at night, when they feel less "exposed" to other predators that may have THEM for lunch. This is why we suggest feeding BPs at night, & in dim room lights- as dark as you can manage if you have a fussy eater.

When feeding a shy, nervous snake, learn to move very slowly so as not to be noticed by the snake. Once they grab it, slowly move back to watch from a distance, and/or DO NOT MOVE- not a bit!

Just don't leave the room with the cage still open, or you may forget & by the time you remember, the snake will be out & exploring. But do NOT close the cage right when the snake grabs food & is trying to eat, as many will drop it right then in favor of hiding, feeling threatened by your commotion. OK?
    Excellent !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    There's also "another kind" of snake that might coil, then drop their prey, now that I think of it. One of my now-mature corn snakes is a very good feeder on f/t- but if she sees ANY motion from me near her tank after she grabs her prey from my tongs, she then drops it in favor of chasing ME! (or rather, my motion- as perceived thru the glass) Such an "optimist"-but she's great to handle, she's never bitten me- she's just a die-hard "motion-chaser". There's also no problem getting her to eat what she drops, so it's not a big deal- it's mostly funny & a time-waster. Basically she has taught me to stand still while she eats. But I've dealt with plenty of snakes like the OP's snake, one that is too shy to eat "in public"- that's how I know to stand totally still.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-21-2021)

Thanks

my last live feed drop was to see the mouse movements and when the snake might strike, i watched this in a dark room so she would not see me, everything went good, she did strike the mouse from completely inside her hide, i was worried about that because she hardly ever comes out from her hide when the Big Bad Wolf comes home, Lol.. then she dropped the live mouse that she just killed. I thought to myself, can she smell me in the room watching her feed? Thank god after about 2 minutes she ate the mouse..this F/T first time feeding is not going to be as easy as the You Tube video's are, i hope im wrong, Dah

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast