Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,103

4 members and 3,099 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: BP not Eating

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: BP not Eating

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    ok, im new you can all laugh at me, but what is "VIV"?
    Apologies ..

Viv is short for vivarium ... some use plastic boxes ( RUBs) to house their reptiles though of course .

It’s like the way we all shorten thermostat down to ‘stat’ .

Sorry !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

ok, im new you can all laugh at me, but what is "VIV"?
    I'm not laughing- you shouldn't be afraid to ask an honest question & some of these abbreviations do easily cause confusion, especially for a new keeper. Thank you for reminding us.

Incidentally, the worst abbreviation here that I can think of is "PAM", as when people are discussing the treatment of snake mites. Just so you know, that's NOT the oily cooking spray they're talking about, & I fear that some have actually tried that on their poor snakes. "PAM" is short for a pesticide product to kill mites called "Provent-A-Mite".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (05-02-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

Incidentally, the worst abbreviation here that I can think of is "PAM", as when people are discussing the treatment of snake mites. Just so you know, that's NOT the oily cooking spray they're talking about, & I fear that some have actually tried that on their poor snakes. "PAM" is short for a pesticide product to kill mites called "Provent-A-Mite".
    That one really got me wondering for a while, because who would spray silicone on their poor snake?
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-02-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    That one really got me wondering for a while, because who would spray silicone on their poor snake?
    Ew! I've never used the stuff, & I assumed it was all vegetable oil but apparently you're correct. I found this:

Ingredients: Canola Oil*, Palm Oil*, Coconut Oil*, Lecithin from Soybeans (Non-Stick Agent), Dimethyl Silicone (For Anti-Foaming), Rosemary Extract (Preservative). CONTAINS: SOY. Also contains propellant to dispense spray. *Adds a trivial amount of fat.

THIS PRODUCT ^ ^ ^ IS NOT FOR USE ON SNAKES FOR ANY REASON!

Thanks

I had problems posting pictures in the past, im not to computer savy(among other things, lol) so there is a problem with that..the snake never comes out from her hide, i have found small pieces of skin but nothing big, i dont want to lift her hide off her to see if any skin is buried in there, i guess i will have to sooner or later? saturday will be 2 weeks since last feeding, she has shown none of the hunger "Signs" yet, but if i offer her a live mouse on saturday, i wont know if she is truly not hungry or still in the shed process, if she declines the mouse, the breeder who i bought her from said they fed her every 10-14 days, and we know she can go a LONG time without eating if something is bothering her?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Ew! I've never used the stuff, & I assumed it was all vegetable oil but apparently you're correct. I found this:

Ingredients: Canola Oil*, Palm Oil*, Coconut Oil*, Lecithin from Soybeans (Non-Stick Agent), Dimethyl Silicone (For Anti-Foaming), Rosemary Extract (Preservative). CONTAINS: SOY. Also contains propellant to dispense spray. *Adds a trivial amount of fat.

THIS PRODUCT ^ ^ ^ IS NOT FOR USE ON SNAKES FOR ANY REASON!

Well at least PAM (the people version) has No Calories, Sat Fat or Sodium

Thanks

are you talking about that "Stuff" BP owners spray on the snakes skin during shedding? I wouldn't even think about that unless her shed process takes A Long time....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I had problems posting pictures in the past, im not to computer savy(among other things, lol) so there is a problem with that..the snake never comes out from her hide, i have found small pieces of skin but nothing big, i dont want to lift her hide off her to see if any skin is buried in there, i guess i will have to sooner or later? saturday will be 2 weeks since last feeding, she has shown none of the hunger "Signs" yet, but if i offer her a live mouse on saturday, i wont know if she is truly not hungry or still in the shed process, if she declines the mouse, the breeder who i bought her from said they fed her every 10-14 days, and we know she can go a LONG time without eating if something is bothering her?
    I mean, in my opinion if you're finding small pieces of shed she's probably already shed and may have some stuck shed. It may be worth taking a peek just to be safe. I like to, and I'll preface this by saying I've only had one bad BP shed, but I like to inspect mine after every shed just to be safe. If there's an issue I'd rather address it right away than let it sit. Fortunately I haven't had any, and in the event that you do I'll let more experienced keepers walk you through some methods on getting stuck shed off. Thankfully someone was here on this site to get me through my first stuck shed, and that's been the only one I had to deal with.

I wouldn't get too stressed about her "never" leaving her hide. There's a good chance that she's out at night and you just miss her, there's also a good chance that she's going from hide to hide and you just don't see it. As I'm typing this, my BP who's been in his middle hide all morning, moved into his warm hide and I caught just the tip of his tail going in. Had I not looked behind me at just the right moment I never would have seen him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2021)

Thanks

whats the new skin supposed to look like? i assume really "shiny"?

Thanks

You NEED to CHECK on her- she's likely stuck in her "old" shed! Do not offer live food until you KNOW she has fully shed, otherwise she'll refuse & a live mouse could be chewing on her!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-03-2021)

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast