Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,004

0 members and 3,004 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: BP not Eating

Thanks

Re: BP not Eating

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    Excuse me??? I take it that you were "Fully" prepared Before you got your first BP? I admit, I am far from perfect, but i continue to read all i can because there are some topics that work for some snakes but do not work for others..I come to websites like BP Net, i ask questions, i do what i can to become a better owner.. I will probably learn more things down the road about BP care just when i might think i know it all... Nobody is perfect, except you?
    I simply responded to the statements you made as they are not accurate, nobody is saying anything about perfection. That's again a statement YOU are making. Fully prepared =/= Perfect. Fully prepared is doing your research heavily and testing out your enclosure prior to receiving your snake as well as having the appropriate tools and resources at your disposal in case things didn't go to plan. Nothing about that requires perfection, just time and diligence.

Everyone has room to grow and learn, you taking offense to what im saying is not my concern though as what I stated was for correction and reflection on your perspective to Ball Python care. I applaud you for wanting to keep learning, just don't expect your statements not to be challenged when they're inaccurate.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickySRonin For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-06-2021),jmcrook (05-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RickySRonin View Post
    Fully prepared =/= Perfect. Fully prepared is doing your research heavily and testing out your enclosure prior to receiving your snake as well as having the appropriate tools and resources at your disposal in case things didn't go to plan. Nothing about that requires perfection, just time and diligence.
    100% agree. Thomas I understand that this has been a pretty stressful situation, but you have to stop taking responses as attacks. There's a big difference between being educated, as I think Ricky was doing, and being attacked, which no one has done to you. I understand it can be hard on the internet to recognize tone, but no one here is trying to take shots at you, everyone is doing their best to teach you. As we've told you before, everyone here has your animal's best interest at the front of their mind, and that generates blunt and direct feedback for you, because your feelings are not what's important here.

I told you before, most of the questions you've asked here, and most of the things that you got wrong with husbandry and your enclosure set up, are clearly explained in almost every care guide you can find anywhere online. We've discussed your set up when this thread started, and let's be honest, even the most basic, low level, box pet store, care guide would have told you that your enclosure was not ready for an animal. Absolutely any online resource that's not 10 years old would have told you not to move your snake to a separate container to feed them. From the outside looking in, it didn't/doesn't seem like much research was done prior to your snake coming home.

The point is, you weren't prepared for this snake, there's no arguing that. You're doing the right thing now by asking questions and making corrections, which isn't the ideal order to do things, but you're making it happen. Please try not to take everything so personal. You did a great job taking responsibility for your mistakes, don't ruin that now with a poor attitude.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-07-2021),Bogertophis (05-06-2021),RickySRonin (05-06-2021)

Thanks

UPDATE: 2ND Live Feeding went well, BUT, my BP looks more like the Ambush style eater, She waits at least 10 minutes before striking..Trying to convert her to F/T is going to be a real challenge, she eats live mice not rats yet, in the dark, my arm may fall off shaking a mouse in front of her waiting for a strike..She will be 1 year in july so mice might not be big enough for her by then? unless i double feed Mice? I envy those owners who can waive a heated F/T in front of the snake and get a quick strike...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

UPDATE: 2ND Live Feeding went well, BUT, my BP looks more like the Ambush style eater, She waits at least 10 minutes before striking..Trying to convert her to F/T is going to be a real challenge, she eats live mice not rats yet, in the dark, my arm may fall off shaking a mouse in front of her waiting for a strike..She will be 1 year in july so mice might not be big enough for her by then? unless i double feed Mice? I envy those owners who can waive a heated F/T in front of the snake and get a quick strike...

Many royals prefer to strike from within the security of their hides ( ambush)

I thaw the mice (in the afternoon) and in the snake room to get the snakes into feeding mode !

As long as you feed evenings , in dim or low light , ensure the snake is well settled under a hide .. quick hairdryer blast and INSTANTLY dangle it in front of the hide entrance... BOOM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

how long do you blast for, how many seconds usually?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

UPDATE: ... my arm may fall off shaking a mouse in front of her waiting for a strike...
    So get in shape, lol. You think you're the only person that ever had this issue? If you're not already a ninja-warrior, keeping snakes will get you there!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (05-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

BP not Eating

how long do you blast for, how many seconds usually?
    5 to 10 seconds on the head region mainly

Last feed I did four in less than two minutes .. see below

(I put the light on afterwards just to take the photo )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 05-12-2021 at 10:49 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Thomas S (05-12-2021)

Thanks

LOL, you got that right! before i got my B.P, all the Info i read on them is that they are Beginner/Easy pets to care for? Wait a minute, are they easier than Dogs? With dogs all you have to do is drop a bowl of food in front of them, and they will eat it 99% of the time, hot/cold doesn't matter!!!

Thanks

LOL, you got that right! before i got my B.P, all the Info i read on them is that they are Beginner/Easy pets to care for? Wait a minute, are they easier than Dogs? With dogs all you have to do is drop a bowl of food in front of them, and they will eat it 99% of the time, hot/cold doesn't matter!!!
    Yeah, I've seen where people call ball pythons a good beginner pet and I don't agree. On one hand, when their needs are all met, they don't need a whole lot of interaction. They don't need walked every day...or fed every day...etc. But, when they have problems, it can take a lot of work to get things right. You're right, with a dog you just stick the food in front of them and go to town. But you can't leave a dog alone in a room for 3 days while you go out of town for a quick vacation...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

My favorite part of every “my snake won’t eat” thread is when ALL the snakes eventually eat! I’m glad that in this case it didn’t take long at all.

OP- If you’re cool with continuing the live feedings then carry on. If/when you decide to transition to f/t, it may take a little more tough love, but the end result will be the same if you stay the course. In an eat or starve scenario, outside of failure to thrive critters, any healthy animal will eat. Sometimes it takes longer than others but the hunger ALWAYS wins.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

15. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-16-2021)

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast