Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,102

2 members and 3,100 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: First ever clutch, so excited! Wish me luck

I've been so stressed I've been forgetting to update you guys! unfortunately, three eggs went bad within the first 2 days, I think they must have overheated before I moved them to the incubator, can't think of any other reason the others have been candling well and I think are looking good? Bit worried about the left most one, is it normal to dimple THIS much with 2 weeks left?

Day 1:

Day 16:

Day 39:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meredithm115 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2021),EL-Ziggy (05-22-2021),Kam (05-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Eggs go bad for no apparent reasons all the time. Sorry you lost some, but that's the way it goes.

Not having raised BP eggs, I won't comment on whether or not the egg at left is normal with all that dimpling- hopefully those raising BPs will comment soon though?

(Comparing to all the other eggs I HAVE raised though, I'd say no, it appears to be in trouble. But like I said...I have never incubated BP eggs.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    It's odd the dimpling is so strong on just one egg, and it's a bit early for it to be doing that even if it was all of them. If I had to guess something is off with your humidity and its fluctuating too much.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

So, directly under the shell are two membranes. They allow the transfer of O2/CO2 during development. If these pores are blocked by substances (including water) then the developing embryo has a harder struggle to survive as it gets closer to the hatch date. I noticed that your eggs are a bit dirty, no worries there, dirt is nothing new to ball python eggs. What concerns me is that you have mold growing on what should be 'healthy eggs'. In my incubators I only see mold if the eggs are dead and/or dying. It is possible that too much water is condensing and dripping on the eggs and suffocating/drowning them and creating mold...any which way: something is wrong, but, you are very close to the end so hopefully the remaining will make it.

I also noticed you have an Analog Temperature and/or Humidity gauge in the egg box, I consider them super unreliable. If you are using a rheostat or an on/off thermostat that is not cross-checked and balanced with a digital thermometer then you could have wild temp. swings and not know it. If you have a Herpstat or VE proportional thermostat on the incubator you are a bit safer as they have greater accuracy measuring/balancing temps. Even with a better thermostat...if the incubator is in an area without climate control you can have pretty wide temp. swings.

Of course there are a variety of other possibilities with decreasing likelihood including conditions outside your control.

Keep us posted, and best of luck!
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 05-23-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2021),nikkubus (05-23-2021)

Thanks

I did have some humidity issues the first couple of days but got it fixed and it has been a steady 99% since! So far, it is still candling well, I guess only time will tell, thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    So, directly under the shell are two membranes. They allow the transfer of O2/CO2 during development. If these pores are blocked by substances (including water) then the developing embryo has a harder struggle to survive as it gets closer to the hatch date. I noticed that your eggs are a bit dirty, no worries there, dirt is nothing new to ball python eggs. What concerns me is that you have mold growing on what should be 'healthy eggs'. In my incubators I only see mold if the eggs are dead and/or dying. It is possible that too much water is condensing and dripping on the eggs and suffocating/drowning them and creating mold...any which way: something is wrong, but, you are very close to the end so hopefully the remaining will make it.

I also noticed you have an Analog Temperature and/or Humidity gauge in the egg box, I consider them super unreliable. If you are using a rheostat or an on/off thermostat that is not cross-checked and balanced with a digital thermometer then you could have wild temp. swings and not know it. If you have a Herpstat or VE proportional thermostat on the incubator you are a bit safer as they have greater accuracy measuring/balancing temps. Even with a better thermostat...if the incubator is in an area without climate control you can have pretty wide temp. swings.

Of course there are a variety of other possibilities with decreasing likelihood including conditions outside your control.

Keep us posted, and best of luck!
    Thank you for your response! I also have another humidity gauge, honestly I should take that one out, I just keep forgetting. My humidity as of right now is 99%, and I have a towel I switch out once a day so water isnt dripping on them. The staining is from fluid, it doesnt come off but now I am worried its blocking oxygen or something? Can I ask where you are seeing mold on the healthy eggs? I removed the bad eggs bc they were sweating and the eggs touching them were getting windows but I've applied glue to the windows and antifungal powder and havent seen any other issues with it, so far. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meredithm115 View Post
    I did have some humidity issues the first couple of days but got it fixed and it has been a steady 99% since! So far, it is still candling well, I guess only time will tell, thank you!
    When eggs candle as good, just cross your fingers & wait to see. Only time will tell.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Meredithm115 (05-24-2021)

Thanks

Update! Stressed and impatient!
    Day 49:

Day 59:

Temps have been between 87 and 89 but have raised to 90-90.5 the last two days. Eggs are all still papery feeling, and are still stuck to each other. I know it could be another 10 days but I'm so impatient holy crap
    Last edited by Meredithm115; 06-10-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    "Rome wasn't built in a day..." & neither are snakes! Hang in there...

Thanks

Am I crazy or am I seeing potential mojaves? Srry, these were the best pics I could get lol
    Day 61:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast