Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,994

0 members and 2,994 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New tank setup T10

I'm buying a T10 from Animal Plastics (48"x24"x15") and needed some help with the accessories for it. I've read a bunch of threads and can't find my questions specifically so I figured I'd ask.
    For starters, my son brought a ball python home from a reptile show. It's over year old and around 3ft long.
    Since there are many accessories I can get with this new cage, I want to be sure I get the best things and not just waste money on useless things. For starters, I have talked with Pro Products and I am ordering the PH-12 100watt heat panel. Will any additional heat be required on the bottom?

I want to order the LED lighting for the cage, but I remember being told from someone at the pet store that snakes need special UV bulbs. So do I have to add a screen on top to add the light the snake needs? Or is it even necessary?

Next, is the basking shelf needed or just a waste for a ball?

Lastly, I know a thermostat is needed for the heat panel, and I've seen them range from $20 to close to $400. I want a really good one but not for anywhere close to $400.

Thank you for any help. I have tried to research as much as I could before asking questions, but there are so many different answers, I just don't know what to trust.
    Last edited by Cisco Budge; 04-13-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: New tank setup T10

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Budge View Post
    I'm buying a T10 from Animal Plastics (48"x24"x15") and needed some help with the accessories for it. I've read a bunch of threads and can't find my questions specifically so I figured I'd ask.
    For starters, my son brought a ball python home from a reptile show. It's over year old and around 3ft long.
    Since there are many accessories I can get with this new cage, I want to be sure I get the best things and not just waste money on useless things. For starters, I have talked with Pro Products and I am ordering the PH-12 100watt heat panel. Will any additional heat be required on the bottom?

I want to order the LED lighting for the cage, but I remember being told from someone at the pet store that snakes need special UV bulbs. So do I have to add a screen on top to add the light the snake needs? Or is it even necessary?

Next, is the basking shelf needed or just a waste for a ball?

Lastly, I know a thermostat is needed for the heat panel, and I've seen them range from $20 to close to $400. I want a really good one but not for anywhere close to $400.

Thank you for any help. I have tried to research as much as I could before asking questions, but there are so many different answers, I just don't know what to trust.
    I'll see if I can touch on all your questions. Congrats on your T10! Mine just came in a few weeks back and so far I'm loving it.

Heating: I don't use any heat other than the RHP, this depends on you of course, but my temps are fine with just the heating panel. I bounced around the idea of using an under tank heater as well, but ended up skipping it, and didn't need it.

Lighting: LED lights would be fine for your BP, but personally I have enough natural light in my reptile room that I didn't bother with them. While there are studies that suggest reptiles that don't require UVB, like a ball python, still benefit from it, you don't need it. There are reptiles who do require UVB exposure, like a bearded dragon, but most snakes don't.

Basking Shelf: The shelf isn't needed unless you just want it. I say that because I had enough decor to make some climbing areas for my BP and didn't need it. The basking shelf in my opinion is 100% preference.

Edit because I forgot your thermostat question: I use a Herpstat, but they are on the more expensive side. I've had a great bit of success using Jumpstart thermostats. You can find those on Amazon for pretty cheap, but with a RHP I'd rather have a Herpstat. They apply just the right percentage of power to keep the temperature exactly where you want it, and if for some reason they fail, they switch off, so you don't run the risk of overheating your snake.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 04-13-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

Would this be a good thermostat?
    https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/whol...-robotics.html
    or
    https://www.reptilebasics.com/ve-200

Also, I'm guessing that the white LEDs are the way to go.
    I'm glad to here that the UV lights are not needed. I didn't want a hole in the top.
    Last edited by Cisco Budge; 04-13-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Budge View Post
    Would this be a good thermostat?
    https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/whol...-robotics.html

Also, I'm guessing that the white LEDs are the way to go.
    Yea if you're just planning on having the one enclosure and no other snakes or heat sources, the Herpstat 1 is fine. As far as LEDs, the ones that AP uses should be fine, I haven't heard anyone complaining about them, but I don't use them so I'm not sure about longevity or exactly how bright they are.

Thanks

Thank you for your help. I'm going with everything you said.

Thanks

It doesn't sound like Pro Products is going to be able to produce heat panels for a while. They did say to call back in three weeks and they may have a better idea. Do you think it would be best to wait on them even if it takes a long time or go with a different heat panel. The one below is available.
    https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/whol...panel-80w.html

Thanks again for your help.