Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 513

0 members and 513 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Feeding and size question

Good evening. Just a quick question. My male BCI is roughly 1.5 years old. Currently feeding him weaned rats around 40-50 grams every 2 weeks. I’m alittle concerned about his size though.
    He looks real good. On the healthy side but he is only around 3-4 feet long and currently weighs around 610 grams. Is this an ok size for a boa this old? Like I said he doesn’t look skinny at all.
    I always fed him one mouse every 7-10 days until I switched to rats back in November then I went every 14 days.
    Also, at this size should I move him up to small rats now? I still have probably 2 more months of the weaned rats in the freezer but I want to do what’s right for him.
    Again I know every snake is different. And he looks and acts very healthy. I never powerfed as I want him to be as healthy as what’s in my control. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    His size sounds fine to me, despite not seeing him (& it's hard to relate to weights given since I don't weigh my snakes or their prey, unlike many here that do). I've only raised one boa, but it took a long time for her to grow- that's normal & actually better for them. If you imagine his body shape in "cross-section", he should be shaped like a loaf of bread (rounded on top, with straight sides) & not round. Too much food will just make him fat (& at risk for fatty liver disease) not healthier, so just be patient. When my BCI got to 5-6' long, she started growing faster & ultimately ended up over 7.5' in length.

I'll add that if the weaned rats seem too small at this point, you could just feed slightly sooner (by a day or 2) before going to the next size up in prey; snakes don't have schedules in nature, & most get by on far less food than our pets do. You say he looks & acts healthy, so trust what you see. You could also change nothing- 2 more months of slightly small prey really won't matter.

We have others here who raise many boas- hopefully they'll add their thoughts.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Feeding and size question

Boas grow slower than paint dries. My ~3yr olds are still <1000grams, eating small rats, and under 4’. It’s entirely too easy to overfeed a boa and cause health problems down the road. It will get big in time, no need to rush things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2021),dakski (04-13-2021),EL-Ziggy (04-13-2021),Hugsplox (04-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Feeding and size question

I agree with jmcrook. You BI will be fine if you finish off the weaned rats and then go to small rats. Boas are very efficient and a little bit of food goes a long with them.

Could you feed small rats at this point, yes. Should you? Probably not. I'd wait until closer to 700G before switching to small rats. Once on small rats, I'd be feeding every two weeks, as you are now.

If you want to feed the weaned every 10 days now instead, that's an option, but not a necessity.

Good luck and keep us posted.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2021),EL-Ziggy (04-13-2021)