Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

1 members and 2,928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    By the way, you described how he struggled pretty hard to fight what you were doing-"I felt terrible trying to restrain him and he was really giving it everything he had to get out of my hands." -that pretty much tells me that you were holding him too tightly, too forcefully, & also put him at risk of injury to himself by hurrying the process. You have to find the right balance for gently holding & guiding a snake so they cooperate- too much force & they respond just as we would if put in a choke-hold: with fear, panic & fighting your every move. But when you do it right, relaxed & with empathy, you'll get it done without either of you suffering too much. Be more patient with snakes- they don't understand what you're trying to do- try to imagine how it would feel to be in their place.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

beefontheboard (04-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: Substrate, Stress, Onboarding (This one is a bit complex sorry) HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    By the way, you described how he struggled pretty hard to fight what you were doing-"I felt terrible trying to restrain him and he was really giving it everything he had to get out of my hands." -that pretty much tells me that you were holding him too tightly, too forcefully, & also put him at risk of injury to himself by hurrying the process. You have to find the right balance for gently holding & guiding a snake so they cooperate- too much force & they respond just as we would if put in a choke-hold: with fear, panic & fighting your every move. But when you do it right, relaxed & with empathy, you'll get it done without either of you suffering too much. Be more patient with snakes- they don't understand what you're trying to do- try to imagine how it would feel to be in their place.
    I was definitely trying to be gentle but also wanted to get the 'handling' done as quickly as possible as I knew that it would stress him out and I wasn't technically supposed to be handling him. I forsure should've tried to take more time to do things slowly, but also wasn't using the burm hunter throat grip by any means. I'll definitely be more cognizant of the gentle, slow handling needed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beefontheboard For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12