Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,981

2 members and 2,979 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Transitioning Japanese rat snake to a new bioactive enclosure/general questions

Hi everyone. My fiancé bought a male CB '19 Japanese rat snake last weekend. The snake is currently in a smaller quarantine tank and will be there for 3 months (I have an iguana but no other snakes yet--still planning to get my Trans-Pecos rat snake later this year). We do want to plan a bioactive vivarium for once we move him into his final enclosure.

I have a few general questions about the vivarium:
    - Once we move the snake, should we allow him time to adjust to it, like the standard "leave him alone for a week and don't feed him" that people do for quarantine? Or should he be comfortable enough with us by that time, that we won't need to?
    - Is there a recommended amount of time the bioactive tank should be set up and allowed to just run by itself before introducing the snake? Like, should I just keep it and the isopods, heating, lighting, etc for a few weeks or a month or whatever, before we introduce the snake?

Also, for Japanese rat snakes in general:
    - I could only find two care guides online, which are these:
    https://www.reptiletalk.net/japanese-ratsnake/
    and
    https://idoc.pub/documents/care-shee...a-6nq860xdq9nw

I also found this post on the Field Help forum, which sounds to me just like someone keeping their snake too cold and it wouldn't eat as a result:
    http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/...pic.php?t=7727

My question is: I seem to have limited information on what humidity they prefer. We were contemplating a small water feature in the bioactive enclosure (maybe like a small waterfall or clean-able pond/maybe just a water dish that looks more "natural"), but will not do this if it would raise the humidity too much. I can't find much info on the humidity in the above "guides," and I don't want to assume they are like North American rat snakes.

If anyone has insight to any of the questions above, either for the enclosure or the snake in general, please let me know. Thank you!

Thanks

Re: Transitioning Japanese rat snake to a new bioactive enclosure/general questions

I would play it safe and leave him for at least a week. If you don't have a live plant in there that the snake could disturb then you can add him anytime. With geckos and smaller animals you usually let the isopods reproduce but I don't think the snake's going to eat isopods. Just wait long enough until you have steady temperatures and humidity so you don't have any harmful fluctuations.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

TofuTofuTofu (04-08-2021)