Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,611

0 members and 2,611 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

What's an interesting Enchi morph for a new breeder

I'm thinking of getting into breeding ball pythons but only have a male Enchi at the moment. I was wondering what Enchi morphs you all think would be interesting to play with right away. The only caveat is I personally don't want to work with anything with known genetic issues like Ghost, Spider, Cinnamon. I'm not saying you shouldn't or that they are wrong to work with. I just don't think I have the skill to care for them properly at the moment as I'm just getting into breeding.

Ultimately my goal is to breed my own lesser Mojave BEL and / or a panda pied but those are future me projects if I decide to stick with it.

Thanks in advance

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    Here is a good place to start I have a video(made it last month) of all the best Enchi combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8bJzlmWmf4
    Checkout my YouTube channel! I post Ball Python Morph Combo videos daily: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXr...7cOR5pcCONzvtA

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: What's an interesting Enchi morph for a new breeder

Quote Originally Posted by zanic07 View Post
    The only caveat is I personally don't want to work with anything with known genetic issues like Ghost, .......

Thanks in advance
    Zanic,
    What issues have you heard with Ghost? I agree with you about Spider, and I know Super Cinnamons can have issues, but I haven't really heard any issues with Ghost other than a couple of versions being incompatible. And by incompatible I mean they wont produce the Ghost/Hypomelanistic result but it does not effect the overall health of the snake.

The reason I am bringing this up is, I think that Enchi Lesser Ghost is one of the prettiest Enchi combos that can be produced. Here is a picture as an example. From Bottom Left going clockwise is, an Enchi het Ghost, an Enchi Lesser Ghost, an Enchi Lesser het Ghost, and a Lesser Ghost. Good luck what ever you decide.

Last edited by rlditmars; 04-06-2021 at 12:14 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    The reason I am bringing this up is, I think that Enchi Lesser Ghost is one of the prettiest Enchi combos that can be produced. Here is a picture as an example. From Bottom Left going clockwise is, an Enchi het Ghost, an Enchi Lesser Ghost, an Enchi Lesser het Ghost, and a Lesser Ghost. Good luck what ever you decide.

You might be right [about their appeal]...how could you pick just ONE of those?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (04-06-2021)

Thanks

Zanic,
    What issues have you heard with Ghost? I agree with you about Spider, and I know Super Cinnamons can have issues, but I haven't really heard any issues with Ghost other than a couple of versions being incompatible.
    Just that the females are infertile. I don't know if mixing ghost with something else fixes that problem or not and since I'm new I'm on the fence about them. I do have to say yours are gorgeous though.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Just that the females are infertile. I don't know if mixing ghost with something else fixes that problem or not and since I'm new I'm on the fence about them. I do have to say yours are gorgeous though.
    I mean no disrespect, but either you misunderstood or you have been misinformed. There is no issue with the Ghost gene causing female infertility. The four in the picture were 4 out of 8 in a clutch from an Enchi Ghost female paired with a Lesser het Ghost male. I have been working with the Ghost or Hypo gene for years and have produced quite a few clutches with Ghost/Hypo results, all without issue. I have produced Fire Ghosts, Pied Ghosts, and am waiting right now for a clutch of potential Enchi Clown Ghosts to drop. The only genes I had heard about with female infertility issues was the Caramel gene and the gene they called Desert. That is not to be confused with Desert Ghost, nor is Desert Ghost the same thing as Ghost. Anyways, don't just take my word for it. Do some more research because I believe Ghost is really a great enhancing gene to work with.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 04-06-2021 at 01:36 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2021),cincy (04-06-2021)

Thanks

The only genes I had heard about with female infertility issues was the Caramel gene and the gene they called Desert. That is not to be confused with Desert Ghost, nor is Desert Ghost the same thing as Ghost. Anyways, don't just take my word for it. Do some more research because I believe Ghost is really a great enhancing gene to work with.
    None taken. This confusion is entirely on me. I have heard a lot about about desert ghost as a gene and assumed ghost and desert were just abbreviations of desert ghost. I did not realize Desert, Ghost, and Desert Ghost were 3 separate genes. I'm glad I asked the question and you corrected my mistake otherwise I would be missing out on some pretty amazing combos.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zanic07 For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

None taken. This confusion is entirely on me. I have heard a lot about about desert ghost as a gene and assumed ghost and desert were just abbreviations of desert ghost. I did not realize Desert, Ghost, and Desert Ghost were 3 separate genes. I'm glad I asked the question and you corrected my mistake otherwise I would be missing out on some pretty amazing combos.
    Don't feel bad- this stuff makes my head spin & I stay completely out of BP morph questions. But we're blessed here with some very experienced breeders whose expertise is much appreciated.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (04-06-2021)