Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

1 members and 2,874 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It's up to you if you want another fecal done. I really don't know what to tell you at this point- & if I get any great ideas for a non-toxic substance that would taste bad on her tail, I'll let you know- I'm sure there must be something that would be a turn-off? Do you grow tomatoes, by any chance? I do, & when I touch the leaves or stems, I get the strong scent of green tomato plants on my skin- something like that might work? I don't think it would be harmful, or wash off easily, & hopefully might be a deterrent. All you can do is try- good luck!

As far as her having a calm food drive before this- maybe that's because she's been fed rodents & she truly prefers snake, or at least something other than what she's been eating? But if that was the case, even if you fed her "feeder snakes" it probably wouldn't stop her "tail fixation". Goofy snake. I've had a couple of MBKs in the past, never had this problem with them- but that was a long time ago- & since then, they've been breeding them for a more perfect jet black appearance (mine were not so perfect)- so perhaps they've also retained traits that would not have survived in the wild. That's the problem with breeding so many for the pet trade- we help them along, breeders are chosen for appearance, & none are weeded out as they are in the wild. If you bought yours from a breeder, have you tried talking with them?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-27-2022)

Thanks
    Actually, just to clarify- it's not so much that something you apply to her tail has to "taste bad" but just so long as it distracts her & keeps her from thinking "can I eat this?" Green tomato leaves/stems are fairly pungent & as far as I can tell, smell nothing like anything a king snake would eat. There may be other substances too, anyone have any other ideas?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-27-2022 at 01:02 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (07-28-2022)

Thanks
    I just got back from my trip, and from what my parents have observed she's been acting normal, although today I already saw her try to bite herself a couple times while I was cleaning her tank. No latching on like before, but it seems like this behavior might not be something that just goes away. I also did end up making an appointment with the vet. Even if they don't have any answers, I want them to check on the scent glands she was having a problem with before because I'm wondering if they might've gotten inflamed again and that's what's hurting her?

Bogertophis, the green tomato plants sound like a great idea, but unfortunately we don't grow any vegetables ourselves. Hopefully the veterycin can work somewhat as a deterrent. Having a breeder to talk to would probably help as well, but I bought her from an expo and didn't end up getting the seller's contact info, so I'm out of luck there. Something to learn from if I ever buy from expos again.
    (Also I don't know if you were under the impression that she is an MBK, but she is a speckled kingsnake )
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aurum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-28-2022)

Thanks

Re: Small amount of blood after defecating

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    I just got back from my trip, and from what my parents have observed she's been acting normal, although today I already saw her try to bite herself a couple times while I was cleaning her tank. No latching on like before, but it seems like this behavior might not be something that just goes away. I also did end up making an appointment with the vet. Even if they don't have any answers, I want them to check on the scent glands she was having a problem with before because I'm wondering if they might've gotten inflamed again and that's what's hurting her?

Bogertophis, the green tomato plants sound like a great idea, but unfortunately we don't grow any vegetables ourselves. Hopefully the veterycin can work somewhat as a deterrent. Having a breeder to talk to would probably help as well, but I bought her from an expo and didn't end up getting the seller's contact info, so I'm out of luck there. Something to learn from if I ever buy from expos again.
    (Also I don't know if you were under the impression that she is an MBK, but she is a speckled kingsnake )
    Oh sorry, I was under the impression that she's an MBK- maybe I confused with another thread, but it doesn't matter in terms of care & advice, not one bit. Ask your vet what you might safely use topically that would be a taste "turn-off".
    Or post a free ad, or ask around, or go to a farmer's market- for someone who grows tomatoes to share a piece of stem they don't need- hey, if you were closer...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (08-01-2022)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678