Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,102

1 members and 3,101 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

was eating for 3 straight weeks, then refused

Deac, my Royal Python, was hatched in December 2020; I received him in March. The note from the breeder said that Friday was his feeding day. I skipped the first Friday that I had him, figuring that he might be stressed after being shipped by FedEx. The next 3 Fridays I offered a small/medium mouse that he quickly gobbled up. Yesterday, I offered a mouse not much bigger than the others, but he didn't want anything to do with it. I inspected him, looking for signs of being 'blue'. The only thing I noticed was that his eyes had gone from jet black to grayish blue; is this the first sign that he is indeed getting ready to shed and won't be interested in food until he finishes the shed, or is it something else? I should also note that he pooped on Thursday, one day before I offered the mouse.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Yes, he has obviously gone into a shed cycle & it's fine to wait until he actually sheds before offering food again- all this is quite normal. In the wild, he'd lay low & not eat- there's no "room service" & snakes that try to catch prey when their vision is impaired don't tend to survive & pass on their genes. So your pal is just following his instincts, & so must you.

Make sure his humidity is where it should be during this time (or just a bit higher)- you can offer a humid hide also. FYI- your snake will appear normal (we call it "clear") BEFORE he sheds, so if he looks as if he's already shed but he's still hiding & you don't find his old skin, leave him alone because he's not done yet. A snake's body will secrete a bit of fluid between the old & new skin to facilitate it's removal- that moisture tends to make the old skin look "clear", as if it's already the new skin when in fact, it's not. So be patient. He knows what he's doing.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-04-2021),Jörmungandr (04-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Once he's done shedding- DO check him over to make sure none of the old skin is stuck on- ALWAYS check that eye-caps have come off, and also the tail tip- these can cause damage (harm) if left on, so make sure, & help gently with water if need be. If that happens, we can give you more tips for "how to help"- just ask.

Now that you know he doesn't want to eat in shed, next time don't bother wasting food trying to feed him- just wait.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-04-2021),Jörmungandr (04-04-2021)