Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,961

1 members and 2,960 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Island pythons and boas

Best of luck with your Savus, bcr229!

Gary's name rings a bell. I feel like I've heard of him through arboreal/GTP talk? Nice to know he's working with Savus as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

Candoia-wise: The lizard-based diet of Candoia is what gives me the most pause with them. It's something that's a little bit more in reach now that Reptilinks are a thing (and I've personally had some early success with them), but there's no guarantee they'll be around forever. Frog and fowl could potentially provide similarly lean alternative prey. Rodents would make a nice energy-rich treat for a Candoia every once in a while, but I wouldn't offer them too often. I think the hobby's wizening up to the consequences of more or less forcing rodent-based diets on snakes that weren't designed to handle them.

Not surprised the baby Solomon Island boa issue is a thing, Caitlin. I've seen a lot of adverts from importers and wholesalers for Solomon Island boas and the (cheap) neonates gravid females have dropped in the last few months. The outcome is disappointing, but not surprising. I feel like I'm approaching the point in my herp keeping experience that I'd be ready to take one of those little babies on (given some of those micro Reptilinks and a keeper friend willing to part with some feeder geckos in an emergency), but I'm not ready to run out an buy another snake at the moment. (And I should make a yes/no decision on that rehome Lampropeltis first )

If anyone's interested in viper boas, Vin Russo's actually had good luck with them. He's got CBB babies at this point that he's line-breeding for red. Pretty sure he has Solomon Island boas as well, though I'm not sure if he's breeding those right now.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-05-2021),GoingPostal (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Best of luck with your Savus, bcr229!

Gary's name rings a bell. I feel like I've heard of him through arboreal/GTP talk? Nice to know he's working with Savus as well. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Yes, that's the same Gary. He is mainly a GTP/Emerald Tree Boa/Sanzinia guy, but he has a couple of small breeding projects he enjoys - one of those being Savus, another being the Rough-scaled Sand Boas I got from him.

I like your idea about using ReptiLinks. That absolutely sounds like it's worth a shot. As you probably know, the ReptiLinks people also produce scents that can be used to inspire picky snakes to eat. I'm pretty sure that Anole is one of those scents. which maybe could be helpful with a Solomon Islands baby. They are really beautiful little Boas - they remind me a lot of Dumeril's. I'd love to hear about them doing well for someone.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-06-2021),WrongPython (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Ah, Sanzinia. Another species I'd be interested in keeping if it wasn't for their large size. I'm interested in all of the Malagasy boas as well, but they all seem to reach a size that's just this side of too large for me. The dwarf Dumeril's are tempting, though, assuming they really stay that small and don't cost an arm and a leg...

Yeah, Reptilinks carries an anole scent. They also carry gecko, frog, fish, and ASF scents. I'd personally try the gecko scent first if I was trying to entice a baby Candoia to eat -- last I checked, there are more geckos in their native range, and anoles aren't actually native to the Pacific (though there are lizards similarly shaped to them).

I recall seeing someone selling baby Solomon Island boas that were feeding reliably on feeder guppies at one point. Perhaps very small feeder fish in a water bowl could be a solution? The movement of fish in the bowl may be a good stimulant, and they're a good, lean protein with some calcium and healthy oils to boot. Given how small Candoia babies are, feeder insects may also be a viable solution. My only worry there would be proper gut loading and making sure that the insects are actually dead when the babies ingest them (ie. you don't want crickets trying to chew their way out).
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Guppies are actually not a good food source due to thiaminase. They're not as bad as goldfish but they do have it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2021),Caitlin (04-06-2021),WrongPython (04-06-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12