Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

0 members and 3,086 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

New T10 Setup Advice

Silly I'm sure, but I'm in the "set-up and let it run for a few days" phase with my new T10 that got here earlier this week. This is my first time using a RHP with no UTH so I'm having some.. hot spot concerns so to speak. Right now with the RHP set to 84, my warm side is sitting around 85-86 and cool side is 78-79. Now the top of the warm hide that I have in there is 90-91 if not 95 when the RHP ramps all the way up (measured with a temp gun), but the probes I have inside the warm hide monitoring say it's about 84 in there.

What do you guys think? Obviously my BP won't be in this until next week, I like new set ups to run for awhile before moving anything, but I'm just wondering if not having a UTH style hot spot is going to be a problem here.

Also celebrating that AP finally got me my enclosure!

Thanks
    I have a T-10 with a 80 watt RHP. I keep it set at 85F. I'm getting about the same gradient as you. My guy does great at that setting.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-31-2021),Hugsplox (03-31-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: New T10 Setup Advice

I’ve got a couple T8s with 65watt ProHeat panels set to ~87 and get floor warm temps ~89, top of warm hide in low/mid 90s, inside the warm hide 85ish. Cool side around 78. Sounds like you’re about good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-31-2021),Hugsplox (03-31-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    I have a T-10 with a 80 watt RHP. I keep it set at 85F. I'm getting about the same gradient as you. My guy does great at that setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’ve got a couple T8s with 65watt ProHeat panels set to ~87 and get floor warm temps ~89, top of warm hide in low/mid 90s, inside the warm hide 85ish. Cool side around 78. Sounds like you’re about good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I figured I was probably okay, but just wanted to check since I'm use to UTHs and CHEs, this is my first RHP rodeo lol. Since Friday is feeding day, I figured I'd let it run until Tuesday of next week before I transfer him, that way he has a few days to settle before next week's feed day.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-31-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I figured I was probably okay, but just wanted to check since I'm use to UTHs and CHEs, this is my first RHP rodeo lol. Since Friday is feeding day, I figured I'd let it run until Tuesday of next week before I transfer him, that way he has a few days to settle before next week's feed day.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress!
    That makes a ton of sense Hugsplox! Get everything dialed in, let him digest over the weekend and make sure he's got a good meal in him, and then transfer him.

It might take a little while for him to adjust to the new environment, so I would treat it like quarantine in the sense that you should leave him alone until he's taken 3 consecutive meals in his new tank.

Also, Most of my hot side is about 86-88F for my BP. That's plenty to digest. With the RHP, there may be areas that are a little warmer and a little cooler. Remember to check all around the hot side with a temp gun to see what the variance is. In my tank, it can be 86F-88F average, but have a spot where it is 85F and another that is 90F. That's okay.

When I check temps in my tanks with the IR temp gun, I hit 4-6 areas on the hot side (takes an extra 4 seconds), one or two spots in the middle, and two spots on the cool side.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (04-01-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    That makes a ton of sense Hugsplox! Get everything dialed in, let him digest over the weekend and make sure he's got a good meal in him, and then transfer him.

It might take a little while for him to adjust to the new environment, so I would treat it like quarantine in the sense that you should leave him alone until he's taken 3 consecutive meals in his new tank.

Also, Most of my hot side is about 86-88F for my BP. That's plenty to digest. With the RHP, there may be areas that are a little warmer and a little cooler. Remember to check all around the hot side with a temp gun to see what the variance is. In my tank, it can be 86F-88F average, but have a spot where it is 85F and another that is 90F. That's okay.

When I check temps in my tanks with the IR temp gun, I hit 4-6 areas on the hot side (takes an extra 4 seconds), one or two spots in the middle, and two spots on the cool side.
    Thanks dakski!

Yea I'm spot checking about every 2-3 inches on the hot side, as well as on top of the hide just to make sure nothing is too hot. I even stuck some probes inside the hide and let them sit overnight to make sure that the air temps inside wouldn't spike overnight, but they were fine this morning. 24 hours later and everything is still stable, and I have to say, if the humidity stays this easy to maintain I'm going to kick myself for not ordering this a year ago.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-01-2021)

Thanks

Super quick update! After a week of running and about 6 days with no temp or humidity fluctuations, I moved the BP into the T10 today. It was still dark when I did it, so he checked it out a little but then settled into a hide as the sun came up. So far so good, Friday is feed day so fingers crossed we don't have any issues. Thanks for the input from everyone!

As far as his old enclosure, I spent my lunch scrubbing the hard water stains off with some water mixed with vinegar, and once that airs out for a day or two I'm going to disinfect and set it back up. My plan is to move my leopard gecko in sometime next week once I make sure all the temps are good to go. His old 20 gallon long will go to the spotted python once he's done with quarantine, 30 days down 60 to go!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-06-2021),jmcrook (04-06-2021)