Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

1 members and 3,139 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Future pairings, thoughts and discussion. (everyone)

I have decided to focus on what I like and not whats the latest trend. That way if they are not good breeders I have pets I love and will keep regardless.
    For me its Bels and most of the albino types. (with a few other morphs to enhance them) Oh I love normals too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    How are you going to prevent any snakes you produce from ending up bouncing from home to home that quickly or worse? It's not only about what you make, it's about where those snake lives end up and when it's an animal that can live for 40+ years, I wish people would really consider where those babies go long term, not just what they may look like.
    I think going for snakes that would make good pets and are pretty, breeding for temperament too and not just the latest trend (trends change) helps.
    I never sold to pet shops. I also only sell to people who can prove they know what they are doing or have done their research which shows commitment.
    Beyond that I don't know. I am not sure there are any guarantees.
    Your point is of concern to me too. Do you have any advice?
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-11-2021 at 03:47 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (05-11-2021)

Thanks

Finding out what genes the BEL has is part of the fun of breeding. With any animals we breed we con not guarantee how they will end up. We hope for the best and you can vet the buyer to a certain degree but you can’t know for sure. That goes for any animal,snake dog, cat, fish.
    But if people did not breed more or especially this kind of animal would be taken from the wild. The demand is there so why not bring some new life into the world?
    I know many will disagree but that’s how I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel_Effler For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-15-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Effler View Post
    But if people did not breed more or especially this kind of animal would be taken from the wild. The demand is there so why not bring some new life into the world?
    I know many will disagree but that’s how I see it.
    You make a good point too. For an extreme example I started breeding snakes in the dark ages when there were no captive bread. People only bought wild caught then and they did not last long.
    I studied with the center for life studies (part of the British zoological sociaty) at london zoo, and amongst other people we built up captive populations.
    For one example, My first rat snakes were wild caught because no captive bread were available. Now captive bread Rat snakes are the norm in collections and wild caught not needed and less likely to thrive. Yes captive breeding takes the pressure of wild populations.

I don't think we should not breed snakes, But I do think we should consider where they go and if they will be looked after.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-11-2021 at 04:00 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-15-2022),Daniel_Effler (05-11-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I have decided to focus on what I like and not whats the latest trend. That way if they are not good breeders I have pets I love and will keep regardless.
    For me its Bels and most of the albino types. (with a few other morphs to enhance them) Oh I love normals too.

I think going for snakes that would make good pets and are pretty, breeding for temperament too and not just the latest trend (trends change) helps.
    I never sold to pet shops. I also only sell to people who can prove they know what they are doing or have done their research which shows commitment.
    Beyond that I don't know. I am not sure there are any guarantees.
    Your point is of concern to me too. Do you have any advice?
    I feel our preferences if much the same. I’ll never be a big breeder, just a hobbist. I will probably only have 5-6 snakes and breed a clutch now and then. My favorites are the BEL, albino, banana, and clown. I want to eventually have an example of each of those to be a pet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel_Effler For This Useful Post:

Ascended (05-11-2021)

Thanks

You make a good point too. For an extreme example I started breeding snakes in the dark ages when there were no captive bread. People only bought wild caught then and they did not last long.
    I studied with the center for life studies (part of the British zoological sociability) at london zoo, and amongst other people we built up captive populations.
    For one example, My first rat snakes were wild caught because no captive bread were available. Now captive bread Rat snakes are the norm in collections and wild caught not needed and less likely to thrive.

I don't think we should not breed snakes, But I do think we should consider where they go and if they will be looked after.
    I can agree with that.

Thanks

I gave you a rep for being brave enough to speak your mind while thinking you may be attacked for it. (sorry my rep power is zero though, its the thought)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Effler View Post
    I feel our preferences if much the same. I’ll never be a big breeder, just a hobbist. I will probably only have 5-6 snakes and breed a clutch now and then. My favorites are the BEL, albino, banana, and clown. I want to eventually have an example of each of those to be a pet.

Now that the politics are out of the way a bit.....

Our preferences are more similar than you realise. I like clowns too, for me firstly its the face the markings make. I mean it can look like a skull or something.

But I am going to wait till they come down in price. As they are but also it would be awesome to have that look in an albino of some kind too.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-11-2021 at 04:16 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I gave you a rep for being brave enough to speak your mind while thinking you may be attacked for it.
    I just want to say before I start that no one attacks anyone on this site. A bit of friendly conversation/debate is pretty common but no one is saying anyone's a bad person. I think the concern here, and I don't want to speak for anyone else, but Daniel by their own admission just got their first BP a couple of months back, and here we are talking about breeding, and the ethics of breeding. That's not to say newer keepers can't breed or have opinions on breeding, I think Postal was just raising a pretty reasonable concern.

You guys don't get the wrong idea, no one's out to get anyone on this site, we're just concerned for the animals.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-15-2022),Daniel_Effler (05-11-2021)

Thanks

Its Ok I didn't mean they would be attacked here. But they were concerned and still spoke up. I respect that. so reps. (even if my reps have zero power)
    Attacking views does happen on other sites, it has happened to me too. that's why I am on this site as opposed to any other sites.
    There is respect, information and education here, through challenging in an informative way where needed.
    Maybe daniel has seen the other style on other sites and that's why they were concerned. I have.
    I was cautious at first until I learned it was different here, I was just encouraging them to speak their mind without fear. Because I feel its safe to do so here. even if the view is controversial.
    If I did not feel it was safe here, I would have not posted publicly and sent them a private message saying be careful what you say here.

I an dyslexic, and asperses, forgive my lack of clear communication. And edits.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-11-2021 at 04:44 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I just want to say before I start that no one attacks anyone on this site. A bit of friendly conversation/debate is pretty common but no one is saying anyone's a bad person. I think the concern here, and I don't want to speak for anyone else, but Daniel by their own admission just got their first BP a couple of months back, and here we are talking about breeding, and the ethics of breeding. That's not to say newer keepers can't breed or have opinions on breeding, I think Postal was just raising a pretty reasonable concern.

You guys don't get the wrong idea, no one's out to get anyone on this site, we're just concerned for the animals.
    Good point for sure and all admit right now I am in pipe dream mode for sure. As I have said before it will be at least two years beginning I attempt any breeding and do not plan to purchase any more snakes until then. I’m going slow and learning as I go

One reason for making this thread was just talk and discuss ideas and opinions so I except everyone’s opinion even if it is different than mine.

That said I really did not feel attacked just supporting my opinion. I fully excepted I am very new and have a lot to learn and everyone has different beliefs and feelings.

Big python hugs for all!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel_Effler For This Useful Post:

Ascended (05-11-2021),Hugsplox (05-12-2021)

Thanks

I gave you a rep for being brave enough to speak your mind while thinking you may be attacked for it. (sorry my rep power is zero though, its the thought)

Now that the politics are out of the way a bit.....

Our preferences are more similar than you realise. I like clowns too, for me firstly its the face the markings make. I mean it can look like a skull or something.

But I am going to wait till they come down in price. As they are but also it would be awesome to have that look in an albino of some kind too.
    To me my dream python in either a banana clown or albino clown but I agree the price is way up there right now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast