Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,760

4 members and 2,756 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Future pairings, thoughts and discussion. (everyone)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Effler View Post
    Hello everyone!

She is a BEL (Less/moj) and he is a banana (male maker), Mojave, Black Pastel.

I don't know if she has any hidden genetics because I got her 3-4th handed and that's all they knew. Could be interesting when I get my first clutch in 2 years lol

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Its difficalt for the best breeders to know what other morphs are in a Bel. The Lesser mojave is quite predictable, but the black pastel would only be proved with breeding out in my opinion. As for any other hidden genetics, its possible as the Bel's whiteness hides other morphs.
    One way that you can try and see other morph patterns it to shine a UV light on it. That sometimes shows other hidden Morph patterns.
    Breeding out to a normal is the best way though.

New to ball pythons but not breeding snakes, so other members please contradict freely or advise further.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-11-2021 at 05:09 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (05-11-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its difficalt for the best breeders to know what other morphs are in a Bel. The Lesser mojave is quite predictable, but the black pastel would only be proved with breeding out in my opinion. As for any other hidden genetics, its possible as the Bel's whiteness hides other morphs.
    One way that you can try and see other morph patterns it to shine a UV light on it. That sometimes shows other hidden Morph patterns.
    Breeding out to a normal is the best way though.

New to ball pythons but not breeding snakes, so other members please contradict freely or advise further.
    Sounds right. I am fairly certain of the black pastel due to how brown my banana is. He just shed so I should get some fresh pics. The black pastel typically increases the banana freckles but the Mojave suppresses them so it’s hard to tell on that note, not to mention he is still young and from what I understand the freckles increase with age. I can see a few small ones on him now.

Here is more pics of my boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel_Effler For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-10-2022),cincy (03-31-2022)

Thanks
    I have a male bel (moj/les) and am curious on what some good pairings ideas would be for him in the future for breeding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

I must have missed this thread because it started when I was absolutely slammed with pairing my adults and getting all my sub-adults upgraded to adult enclosures. There are two main projects I'm working on right now with BP's. Making darker panda pieds with less issues using suma cinnamon instead of super cinny/black pastel is one that I'm in the very early stages of. Justin certainly beat me to the punch and has produced them already, but I imagine that as hard as they are to produce, they will continue to be in high demand for a very long time. The other is to try out some different YB complex acts-like-supers with banana enchi. Some of my girls in the second project have morphs in the blue eyed lucy complex also, and it will be interesting to see what those add to the mix as well. I have lots of ideas on the back burner sticking with those for now.

Quote Originally Posted by BEL View Post
    I have a male bel (moj/les) and am curious on what some good pairings ideas would be for him in the future for breeding.
    My top choice around $600 or less to pair with a male moj/les BEL would be a banana enchi. You would have a chance first generation clutches to get 3-gene combos that look pretty stunning. If you are trying to pick up an already mature female, you choices are going to be pretty limited and you may not find that available, certainly not for that price.

If you want something you can get a running start with by picking up a mature female, a pinstripe or pastel pinstripe might be a much easier one to obtain that still would produce pretty nice results without spending a fortune.

It's certainly not the most exciting thing in the world to hatch, but pairing him with any of the blue eyed lucy complex morphs in het form should give you %50 BEL, which seem to be pretty in demand lately. Maybe a bamboo because those are one of the better looking hets that sell for more?

If you are just getting started I wouldn't go pairing him to 4-6 different females because it's a lot to manage your first time, I'd stick with 1-2 to get your feet wet.

Wish everyone awesome results this year, I'm super excited to start hatching out soon and see how I faired with odds!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-10-2022),BEL (06-10-2021),Daniel_Effler (08-31-2021)

Thanks

Ok so hopefully will get my first paring off this year.
    I got a female that is around 1800g (albino, cinnamon, mojave, het pied) I got a hatching male to pare her with but he may not be up to the task this year ..... And I think I messed up
    So he is an (albino, black pastel, mojave, het pied)

I was thinking that will be cool I could make some cherry bombs and albino pieds!

But I have come to realize that there are several other combinations that could happen and I may not be able to tell them apart at all. So I'm not sure if I am going to move forward with this one or not in the future. I definitely have to do more research and figure out if I can identify the hatchlings from that pairing. I would hate to have to put (possible any combination of these genes) good luck

I could still pair with my banana male and have the possibility of making BEL and 8 bal that would be het albino.

I am trying to get my BEL female up to a comfortable size but it may be fall before she gets there.

Sent from my SM-S426DL using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel_Effler For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Sounds like you are going to have quite a bit of fun with all those combos. You never have enough BEL, or albino pieds, cherry bombs. They are all in high demand. I have a continuing project with candino and albino pairing. That’s been a productive pairing for me for a couple of years now. Good luck going forward.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (02-10-2022),nikkubus (02-10-2022)

Thanks
    There would be some that you couldn't really ID fully but I still thinks that's a pretty good pair.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-10-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    I think a good blacklight may be a worthwhile purchase for that pair. It can at least maybe help you ID BEL and BEL pieds in a pinch I think.

The white on pieds will typically show up as a nice solid white under blacklight. BELs can have some residual patterning that shows up under it. So I would think a BEL showing up under blacklight with larger patches of solid white would be the BEL pied. An old post floating around here said a pied BEL had an interesting side pattern on the body, but there really isn't any info to go on for it aside from test breeding later on.

Like Nikkubus said, some you can't fully ID, because another thing to keep in mind is that Black pastel, Cinny and Pieds can sometimes lead to an all white hatchling as well.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (02-10-2022),nikkubus (02-10-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    I think a good blacklight may be a worthwhile purchase for that pair. It can at least maybe help you ID BEL and BEL pieds in a pinch I think.

The white on pieds will typically show up as a nice solid white under blacklight. BELs can have some residual patterning that shows up under it. So I would think a BEL showing up under blacklight with larger patches of solid white would be the BEL pied. An old post floating around here said a pied BEL had an interesting side pattern on the body, but there really isn't any info to go on for it aside from test breeding later on.

Like Nikkubus said, some you can't fully ID, because another thing to keep in mind is that Black pastel, Cinny and Pieds can sometimes lead to an all white hatchling as well.
    I have a blacklight but it's just a bulb from Walmart and it is not the best. I will buy one of those black light flashlights that you can but to look for scorpions. That will help a lot.

Yes I did not think it all the way though but with this at least I should be able to pick out pieds. Thanks.

------

I also kinda wish I had got a better breeder clown male. I got a single gene clown male. I could have got a lot more profit out of a 3-4 gene male and single gene female instead of the other way around.

Sice it will be a while anyway (hatchling) do you all think I should sale the clown male and upgrade to a multiple gene clown male now or just play it out with what I have?

What I have intended to pair with him is a leopard het clown female and a firefly het clown female.

I do have a few other females also but none that are het clown or visual.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Effler View Post
    I also kinda wish I had got a better breeder clown male. I got a single gene clown male. I could have got a lot more profit out of a 3-4 gene male and single gene female instead of the other way around.

Sice it will be a while anyway (hatchling) do you all think I should sale the clown male and upgrade to a multiple gene clown male now or just play it out with what I have?

What I have intended to pair with him is a leopard het clown female and a firefly het clown female.

I do have a few other females also but none that are het clown or visual.

It just really depends on what kind of projects you are shooting for. If it were me, I'd probably pair him with those two hets and try to get a nice holdback male before I sold him rather than just buying one outright unless he is still pretty small and nowhere near breeding size anyways. I feel like after taking the time to grow him, might as well see if you can hit a Leopard Clown or Firefly Clown male.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-10-2022),Daniel_Effler (02-10-2022)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast