Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 613

1 members and 612 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: I made a massive mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I woke up to several people showing interest, so there's something at least.

In hindsight I probably could've cleaned it up, make everything look nicer and attempt to put a higher price to regain more of my lost money (if not potentially gain money) but, the goal was to get rid of this thing ASAP so, what are ya gonna do.
    Well, if no one buys it right off, just take down the ad quickly & re-do it.

And btw, do NOT try to sanitize wood with bleach, not even bleach that's been diluted: wood absorbs too much & will give off toxic fumes forever from bleach- it's not safe for your snake- just don't do it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, if no one buys it right off, just take down the ad quickly & re-do it.

And btw, do NOT try to sanitize wood with bleach, not even bleach that's been diluted: wood absorbs too much & will give off toxic fumes forever from bleach- it's not safe for your snake- just don't do it.
    I have three people "in line" so to speak. One wanted to pick it up today but then tried to lowball (I'm already offering this thing below half of what I paid for it, no thanks) so that will probably not happen. The other two I have on notified standby to see if the first one ponies up. If none of them work out by the end of the day I'll take the ad down, wait a few days while I get it cleaned and presentable, and see if I can't get a little more out of the thing than what I paid and try to turn this whole mess around.

And yeah I kind of automatically figured bleach was too strong by default, absorption or otherwise.

Thanks

There you go, good for you making some lemonade! Good luck selling it and finding a more suitable home for your snake
    0.1 Enchi Bumblebee (Pixel)

Thanks
    I was going to finally start cleaning the thing out today thanks to the weather warming up from a last minute chill spell, but of course just my luck both my dad and my next door neighbors decided to burn random wood so now the air's filled with smoke and there's no point in getting the thing out from the tarp (it's on a roofed porch as the only place indoors with room is the basement, which is where my snake is so I obviously don't want the thing anywhere near there) where it's going to get permeated with it so I have to wait yet again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I am late here in this conversation but I just wanted to say I feel for you. I don't know how big that enclosure is, but I was able to buy a decent sized exo-terra enclosure used through a local ad for one of my snakes for less than $100. It was easy to disinfect because it is glass and metal. If you decide to try looking again, you can probably find something like that . Sometimes you just have to be persistent and look every day and one will pop up. I bought another enclosure at my local reptile store that was on clearance. They also were selling some much larger display enclosures because they were re-doing their shop and those were decent prices. Try calling your local reptile store and see if they have any used enclosures. Sometimes they do. Pets are often brought in to sell to the shops in large enclosures.

Were you ever able to sell the one you bought at the beginning of this thread? Your last post seems to indicate you still have it.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I am late here in this conversation but I just wanted to say I feel for you. I don't know how big that enclosure is, but I was able to buy a decent sized exo-terra enclosure used through a local ad for one of my snakes for less than $100. It was easy to disinfect because it is glass and metal. If you decide to try looking again, you can probably find something like that . Sometimes you just have to be persistent and look every day and one will pop up. I bought another enclosure at my local reptile store that was on clearance. They also were selling some much larger display enclosures because they were re-doing their shop and those were decent prices. Try calling your local reptile store and see if they have any used enclosures. Sometimes they do. Pets are often brought in to sell to the shops in large enclosures.

Were you ever able to sell the one you bought at the beginning of this thread? Your last post seems to indicate you still have it.
    Have to clean it up so it looks more "sellable" so yeah I still have it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I haven't read your other threads so forgive me if I'm mistaken about info you have already shared - but I get the impression your snake is a male BP. If he is currently in an enclosure that's too small, you might look into setting him up in a large plastic tub. Even the biggest tubs are cheap, and fantastic for maintaining proper temp and humidity. That way you could provide him with more room while you save up for a PVC enclosure.

Almost every reputable PVC enclosure maker is absolutely hammered with orders, and while the supply chain for materials will gradually open up as the Covid situation resolves over the next year or so, I don't think you will ever really see a fast turnaround time for a good PVC. So settle in, do your research and planning and saving, and eventually order an enclosure that you can be sure will comfortably accommodate your snake. It is absolutely worth the wait, and in the meantime tub enclosures can be really excellent.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-06-2021),Bogertophis (04-05-2021),GoingPostal (04-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I haven't read your other threads so forgive me if I'm mistaken about info you have already shared - but I get the impression your snake is a male BP. If he is currently in an enclosure that's too small, you might look into setting him up in a large plastic tub. Even the biggest tubs are cheap, and fantastic for maintaining proper temp and humidity. That way you could provide him with more room while you save up for a PVC enclosure.

Almost every reputable PVC enclosure maker is absolutely hammered with orders, and while the supply chain for materials will gradually open up as the Covid situation resolves over the next year or so, I don't think you will ever really see a fast turnaround time for a good PVC. So settle in, do your research and planning and saving, and eventually order an enclosure that you can be sure will comfortably accommodate your snake. It is absolutely worth the wait, and in the meantime tub enclosures can be really excellent.
    I sneakily "removed" the tub the whole thing came with when I put the ad for it back up earlier today for such purposes. My only hangup is how ambient heat is going to work since I know a regulated UTH shouldn't melt the plastic provided air flow is given, but I'm no so sure about a CHE...

Another thing is I can return the screen top I bought for the 55 gallon I was going to repurpose so, there's a little extra money back there too.

Part of me wants to keep the 55 gallon "just in case" but, it's probably best to sell it anyway. Besides, once he moves to the tub, the retrofitted 30 gallon is still there for "potential future use."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    You can easily modify a tub to accommodate a CHE. You just cut a round hole in the top, cover it with a pizza screen that you zip tie into place, and hang the CHE outside of the tub. For a large tub you will likely need a UTH to maintain the warm spot and the CHE to maintain ambient temp. Putting the CHE at one end rather than in the middle allows you to create a temp gradient.

1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2021),Kam (04-18-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    You can easily modify a tub to accommodate a CHE. You just cut a round hole in the top, cover it with a pizza screen that you zip tie into place, and hang the CHE outside of the tub. For a large tub you will likely need a UTH to maintain the warm spot and the CHE to maintain ambient temp. Putting the CHE at one end rather than in the middle allows you to create a temp gradient.

This is really cool!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast