Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 512

0 members and 512 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    I think it's a good idea to sell it, too. A lot of great advice here. The most important part is you realized you made a mistake, and even more importantly, you're fixing it. Your mistake isn't earth shatteringly terrible or life altering for you or anyone else, so don't beat yourself up about it too much. You have a lot of options so focus on those right now and you can turn this around. You've got this
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 03-30-2021 at 06:24 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2021),dakski (03-30-2021),Hugsplox (03-30-2021),Luvyna (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: I made a massive mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I put it back up on the site for less than half of what I paid for it, threw a bunch of other things (other supplies I don't need, electronics, ect.) on there at the same time, and did a couple job applications.

Still extremely mad at myself though...
    All good steps.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

I put it back up on the site for less than half of what I paid for it, threw a bunch of other things (other supplies I don't need, electronics, ect.) on there at the same time, and did a couple job applications.

Still extremely mad at myself though...
    I'm not saying there are no good bargains to be found, ever, but they're far & few between, & even then a new enclosure is better- safer! Usually people have good reasons to unload stuff- so from now on, be suspicious (!), ask questions, go home & sleep on it (know that if someone beats you to it, you'll find another one, no big deal); also get more opinions from others, & don't be afraid to say "no thanks", "never mind, I found another one", or "something came up & my fish needs emergency surgery" (lol) etc.

I hope you're years away from buying a house -if you think buying a used enclosure is tough- lemme tell ya. I once bought a used car when I was just starting college, but even then I spent extra $ to take it to a trusted mechanic for an inspection before committing to it. The last thing I needed was a "lemon" with expensive repairs on my "shoestring budget", but it turned out to be a good used car. The mechanic gave it his approval & he was right- it had no issues whatsoever. But without his expertise & advice, I wouldn't have known, & it could have been a real "money pit". No one knows everything- there's a lot to be said for experience. When I've bought houses, I've hired home inspectors to check everything out, along with input from family & friends. One person might see something the others don't.

Good luck on the job applications.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-30-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    If I'll be lucky enough to even sell it above $50 bucks at this point... The only genuinely nice thing I've gotten out of this utter fiasco is the tote (it's a nice size and has the clamping locks unlike the ones I have which just snap shut). You know you're screwed when you throw nearly $300 down the drain and your consolation prize is a plastic box...

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

If I'll be lucky enough to even sell it above $50 bucks at this point... The only genuinely nice thing I've gotten out of this utter fiasco is the tote (it's a nice size and has the clamping locks unlike the ones I have which just snap shut). You know you're screwed when you throw nearly $300 down the drain and your consolation prize is a plastic box...
    Well, no one's telling you to "give it away" either, but do think about what you're going to say when a prospective buyer asks what lived (or died) in it, & why you're selling it. Maybe something like "I don't know- I bought it for my pet but it turns out it doesn't fit the space I have." or something plausible along those lines. If you tell them everything we've discussed here, you'll have it for a long time. Everyone is responsible for doing their own "due diligence".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-30-2021 at 08:43 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    All I wanted to do was just save a little money while not having to wait half a year before my BP could move out of his already cramped quarters and having to make up a second temporary enclosure in the meantime. I simply didn't have the funds to comfortably drop close to if not half a grand on something I wasn't sure I'd see within any reasonable stretch of time. Yet all I ended up doing was just waste MORE money anyway because of course that's how it always works so now I have to wait even LONGER to get an actual proper setup than if I just bit the freaking bullet months ago because now there's for sure no way I can afford anything of the sort.

I get it wasn't as expensive a mistake as many expensive mistakes tend to be, but when you're in financial straights like I am it might as well be like buying a lemon car.

I take mistakes and failures hard, and this was easily the most egregious personal case in a long time that I'm going to be very bitter about for weeks...
    Last edited by Snagrio; 03-30-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks

Reading through this thread its clear the biggest concerns with your purchase are sanitation and making the enclosure escape proof. If you want to sell it, keep in mind you are not the only eager shopper out there. I have purchased and resold my fair share of supplies and you don't have to end up losing much money. It is a fairly large enclosure which many inexperienced shoppers will be really drawn to. You can possibly do some simple stuff to make it more appealing such as installing some caster wheels, possibly painting it a different color or possibly putting a picture background on.
    As far as the door situation you can always remove the sliding doors and install something with hinges that either opens up or down, or if you place a piece of wood in the middle that opens/closes like a normal cabinet. The fact that the enclosure is made out of wood makes it very easy to work with to modify it even if it is only to sell it. Clean the enclosure as best you can, throw in some substrate, get a nice piece of driftwood, some hides, a water bowl and sell it as is "full set up". Also, the logs you can disinfect using the soaking method with diluted bleach... I would have to look up the specifics but I have heard it used when the piece of wood is too big for the oven.

Don't beat yourself up we all make mistakes. Years ago I drove a couple hours away to look at a car I was sure was a great deal. I called to ask for advice from my father and uncle and despite their warning to let it go and sleep on it I decided to buy it on impulse. I was very excited that night on my way back home because somehow I decided it was a good idea to buy a car that I could not even get a very good look at since it was getting dark. As soon as I pulled into the driveway the check engine light came on, under further inspection the car had been in a pretty nasty accident where the rear was all dented especially inside the truck looked like crumpled tin foil, the rear bumper was falling off, it would not pass smog due to some sensors not working, the rim covers were for a toyota and the car I bought was a Nissan... the point is I seriously messed up. I was blessed to have the support of my father in slowly fixing what could be fixed and using the car as is for a few years. It did sit for several months because I couldn't even look at it without getting upset and I couldn't register it until it passed smog but eventually everything worked out. We live and learn, keep your head up and focus your energy on finding a solution.
    Last edited by gerguera; 03-31-2021 at 03:30 AM.
    0.1 Enchi Bumblebee (Pixel)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerguera For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-31-2021),dakski (03-31-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerguera View Post
    Don't beat yourself up we all make mistakes. Years ago I drove a couple hours away to look at a car I was sure was a great deal. I called to ask for advice from my father and uncle and despite their warning to let it go and sleep on it I decided to buy it on impulse. I was very excited that night on my way back home because somehow I decided it was a good idea to buy a car that I could not even get a very good look at since it was getting dark. As soon as I pulled into the driveway the check engine light came on, under further inspection the car had been in a pretty nasty accident where the rear was all dented especially inside the truck looked like crumpled tin foil, the rear bumper was falling off, it would not pass smog due to some sensors not working, the rim covers were for a toyota and the car I bought was a Nissan... the point is I seriously messed up. I was blessed to have the support of my father in slowly fixing what could be fixed and using the car as is for a few years. It did sit for several months because I couldn't even look at it without getting upset and I couldn't register it until it passed smog but eventually everything worked out. We live and learn, keep your head up and focus your energy on finding a solution.
    This story hit me right in the feels. I paid $1600 for a older Nissan 240 when I was like 18 because I thought it was this cool little racecar. Turns out it had been totaled on a race track, had no title, and I couldn't even register the thing. I ended up selling it for something like $600 for parts just to get some cash back.

Point is, it's not the end of the world. No amount of being bitter or mad is going to fix the issue at hand. I'm sure your snake is fine, sell this enclosure, put some money away, and just order yourself something new that you can trust. People tend to think failure is the enemy, I promise you it's not, you'll learn more from this than had it ended up working out. Plus, the added benefit of being an active member here, sharing your story might teach someone else a very important lesson without having to learn it the hard way like you have.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-31-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    This story hit me right in the feels. I paid $1600 for a older Nissan 240 when I was like 18 because I thought it was this cool little racecar. Turns out it had been totaled on a race track, had no title, and I couldn't even register the thing. I ended up selling it for something like $600 for parts just to get some cash back.

Point is, it's not the end of the world. No amount of being bitter or mad is going to fix the issue at hand. I'm sure your snake is fine, sell this enclosure, put some money away, and just order yourself something new that you can trust. People tend to think failure is the enemy, I promise you it's not, you'll learn more from this than had it ended up working out. Plus, the added benefit of being an active member here, sharing your story might teach someone else a very important lesson without having to learn it the hard way like you have.
    I don't know if I should say "I'm glad you can relate" lol
    I've heard the saying, "A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from others mistakes".
    To OP, stuff happens and best thing we can do is learn from it.
    0.1 Enchi Bumblebee (Pixel)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerguera For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-31-2021),Hugsplox (03-31-2021)

Thanks
    I woke up to several people showing interest, so there's something at least.

In hindsight I probably could've cleaned it up, make everything look nicer and attempt to put a higher price to regain more of my lost money (if not potentially gain money) but, the goal was to get rid of this thing ASAP so, what are ya gonna do.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast