Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

1 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    This is a "learn & move on" moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld8eAH0MW00
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-30-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: I made a massive mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Have taken a moment to calm down and collect myself...

I'm going to see what I can do to work with what I have. I have a mother who's handy in DIY and willing to help with the door issue and I'll pitch the logs and substrate.

So now, what is suggested for sanitation? And what paints are safe to use for reptiles so I can recoat the whole thing afterwards to make it look nice?

EDIT: Or is it really THAT bad that I shouldn't even try, attempt to resell, and start from scratch?
    I'm still concerned about what was in it before and why that occupant vacated.. if you know what I mean. If it were me I'd try to sell it cheap and get some of my cash back.

If you really want to try to clean it and use it, you need to F10 or Chlorexidine the entire thing. I'd strip that silicon out and redo the seals, as stuff can over time get underneath it and just live in there (this is why I don't buy used fish tanks typically).

If you really want to use this thing I wouldn't take any chances. Sand the entire thing, and either use a acrylic or marine grade paint (anything with low or no VOC) OR (what I would prefer if I were you)stain the wood then apply a wood sealant. You can find wood sealant at most hardware stores that are "baby safe" once it dries.

Edit: Just to add to be SUPER clear, cure time for MOST acrylic paints is 2-3 weeks. On top of that, oil based stains are toxic, and even some water based can be if you don't properly seal it, so you're taking a lot of risk, OR waiting just as long to DIY this enclosure as you would just ordering something new, that you don't have to worry about the safety of your snake in.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 03-30-2021 at 02:54 PM. Reason: For Clarity

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    I agree w/ Hugsplox' post ^ ^ ^ It's just not worth the risk & all the work involved.

It's preferable with a used enclosure to use multiple antiseptic cleaners (separately, one at a time!) because each of them is most effective against some but not all things equally.

Just like if you're sick & take an antibiotic, it may or may not work- you have to use the right agent to kill pathogens, but in the case of a used cage, there's no way to know what's lurking in the semi-porous crevices of wood & other improperly sealed surfaces.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2749346
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-30-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    My mother's not going to be happy to hear this... After all the trouble I put her through (it's Craigslist so you know, buddy system and I have no friends to do that with me) only to have to tell her I have to sell the whole thing back at a loss mere hours after the fact. Sigh...

I'm going to be frank, I've been in a very negative mood for some time now and this was supposed to be an uplifting moment for a change, but all it's done is crush me down further. This whole snake thing was supposed to help me get my mind off of my life troubles, not add to them...

Thanks

My mother's not going to be happy to hear this... After all the trouble I put her through (it's Craigslist so you know, buddy system and I have no friends to do that with me) only to have to tell her I have to sell the whole thing back at a loss mere hours after the fact. Sigh...

I'm going to be frank, I've been in a very negative mood for some time now and this was supposed to be an uplifting moment for a change, but all it's done is crush me down further. This whole snake thing was supposed to help me get my mind off of my life troubles, not add to them...
    I understand your frustration, but you should have taken time to think it over before buying it. You could have taken pics & went home to post it here & ask us before buying it. But you bought it.
    It's not as if we didn't tell you similar things previously about another used enclosure you looked at.

FYI, when you look at something for sale, always remember it's not the last one on the planet. Don't seem too eager (even if you are)! What's more, if you take the time to go home & think it over, you'd be surprised how the seller's price may come down. That's how you get better deals. Though personally I don't think this would ever be a good deal for reasons already posted. Sorry...

As we've said, it's a learning experience for you, if nothing else. Another learning experience would be to house your snake in this & then have to watch it die from a mystery illness. I KNOW you don't want that...so look at the bright side, eh? It could be worse, always, your life could be worse...like if you weren't able to be online to learn these things, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I understand your frustration, but you should have taken time to think it over before buying it. You could have taken pics & went home to post it here & ask us before buying it. But you bought it.
    It's not as if we didn't tell you similar things previously about another used enclosure you looked at.

FYI, when you look at something for sale, always remember it's not the last one on the planet. Don't seem too eager (even if you are)! What's more, if you take the time to go home & think it over, you'd be surprised how the seller's price may come down. That's how you get better deals. Though personally I don't think this would ever be a good deal for reasons already posted. Sorry...

As we've said, it's a learning experience for you, if nothing else. Another learning experience would be to house your snake in this & then have to watch it die from a mystery illness. I KNOW you don't want that...so look at the bright side, eh? It could be worse, always, your life could be worse...like if you weren't able to be online to learn these things, right?
    I know, I'm a fool, I get it. One of the endless examples of me trying to be a freaking adult for once and make my own decisions only to yet again fail miserably. Why do you think I'm still under my parents' roof? Because I can't do stuff on my own.

Why do I even try...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-30-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks

...Why do I even try...
    Because that's how you learn...it's part of growing up & beyond. Everyone has more to learn about some things, no one's ever a "finished product"- that's why forums exist, to share information.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-04-2021),GoingPostal (03-30-2021),Hugsplox (03-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I recently read something somewhere that said if you haven't received the "stimulus $" to call the IRS. I'd suggest doing so.

As a former tax examiner with said organization, I second and third this suggestion.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2021),dakski (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Snagrio,

You might not want to hear this, but I am going to give you some tough love.

1. Run away form this enclosure unless you are confident you can clean it thoroughly and make it escape proof. Don't try to make it work with those doors and then end up with a lost snake. Don't compound the problem.

2. Own your mistake. Part of being an adult is admitting when we make a mistake.

3. Learn from it. Next time, don't commit until you've seen the enclosures first hand and examined them, etc. Ask more questions, take your time. Do not be impulsive.

4. Do not beat yourself up. It doesn't help. It only makes you feel worse while getting away from #'s 2 and 3.

5. Put into perspective. This may have been a mistake, but no one got hurt, you will recover, etc.

There are options out there for cages that ship in 6 weeks or less (Boaphile, Reptile Basics, some AP stuff, etc.) and are good quality cages. Additionally, height benefits keepers when cleaning time comes, but makes it harder to heat and our BP's could care less.

Take a deep breath, realize we are here to help, and that life will go on. Also realize that as you grow you will have more and more responsibility and times when consequences of your mistakes can be much more dramatic. This is the time to learn to be calm and collected and learn from small mistakes so you do not make big ones, or at least as many big ones.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2021),Caitlin (04-05-2021),Hugsplox (03-30-2021),Luvyna (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    I put it back up on the site for less than half of what I paid for it, threw a bunch of other things (other supplies I don't need, electronics, ect.) on there at the same time, and did a couple job applications.

Still extremely mad at myself though...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-30-2021)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast