Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 494

0 members and 494 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Something I haven't thought about, but how am I going to regulate temps for a new setup, when I only have the one set now? Do I need to get an entire new set of heating elements and t-stats?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: I made a massive mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Something I haven't thought about, but how am I going to regulate temps for a new setup, when I only have the one set now? Do I need to get an entire new set of heating elements and t-stats?
    You only have one snake, right? You have heat & t-stat for what he's living in now, right? It would be most convenient & helpful IF you had extra equipment to set up another enclosure first, so you can completely test it for a few days (MINIMUM) before moving your snake into it, but I suppose it's going to depend on how prepared (ahead of time) & how skilled at installing things you are too? It's a good idea to have spare heat etc. on hand anyway, because if or when something fails, it takes a while to get a replacement, so I'd advise doing that- getting the extra equipment.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-07-2021),Hugsplox (04-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You only have one snake, right? You have heat & t-stat for what he's living in now, right? It would be most convenient & helpful IF you had extra equipment to set up another enclosure first, so you can completely test it for a few days (MINIMUM) before moving your snake into it, but I suppose it's going to depend on how prepared (ahead of time) & how skilled at installing things you are too? It's a good idea to have spare heat etc. on hand anyway, because if or when something fails, it takes a while to get a replacement, so I'd advise doing that- getting the extra equipment.
    Kind of figured as much. It's a tentative time figuring out where expenses are going to be allocated in what order once I get some things sold off. I'd love to get the T10 ordered just so it's in the queue already but it's a LARGE chunk of money to drop all at once. But it will probably be the first thing I do anyway because I really need to place the order as the wait's probably going to be a year+ at this point with how production's been slammed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Kind of figured as much. It's a tentative time figuring out where expenses are going to be allocated in what order once I get some things sold off. I'd love to get the T10 ordered just so it's in the queue already but it's a LARGE chunk of money to drop all at once. But it will probably be the first thing I do anyway because I really need to place the order as the wait's probably going to be a year+ at this point with how production's been slammed.
    It's not a year plus to get a AP enclosure. It isn't quick, but it's not over a year. Mine got here in 7 months, and while that may seem like a long time, cutting corners and trying to get something comparable quicker isn't going to solve your enclosure debacle you're dealing with. That being said, you DO NOT HAVE to order a AP enclosure. I kept my BP in a glass tank for almost a year, and could have kept doing it, everything was fine, I just wanted the convenience of a PVC enclosure for the humidity. All of my other animals are in glass tanks, there's no reason, if you can't afford it, for you to think AP is your only option. On that same note, there's zero reason that AP should be the only vendor you look at if you for sure want a PVC enclosure. Plenty of other vendors have been mentioned multiple times, all over the forum.

Going back to what Bogertophis said, you need to have extras of everything. Realistically, something is going to break, and in my experience things break at the worst possible times. For example, couple of weeks back, the heat bulb in my quarantine tank went out at about 10:30 on a Tuesday night. We had a cold snap that night and it got down into the very low 70s in the room where the tank was, and while it probably wouldn't have hurt the snake, I fortunately had a spare bulbs. I have spare heat mats, fixtures, bulbs, substrate, I mean you name it I have at least 2 as backups for all my enclosures. Having extra equipment is right there with having some funds saved for emergency vet care if/when it's needed.

The question "do you need another set of heating equipment" you HAVE to set a new enclosure up and let it run for a few days to make sure you gradient is right, that your temps and humidity are right, etc etc. You can't, I mean you can but personally I think it's poor practice, just stick the snake in a brand new untested enclosure and expect not to have issues.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-07-2021),Caitlin (04-07-2021),GoingPostal (04-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    It's not a year plus to get a AP enclosure. It isn't quick, but it's not over a year. Mine got here in 7 months, and while that may seem like a long time, cutting corners and trying to get something comparable quicker isn't going to solve your enclosure debacle you're dealing with. That being said, you DO NOT HAVE to order a AP enclosure. I kept my BP in a glass tank for almost a year, and could have kept doing it, everything was fine, I just wanted the convenience of a PVC enclosure for the humidity. All of my other animals are in glass tanks, there's no reason, if you can't afford it, for you to think AP is your only option. On that same note, there's zero reason that AP should be the only vendor you look at if you for sure want a PVC enclosure. Plenty of other vendors have been mentioned multiple times, all over the forum.

Going back to what Bogertophis said, you need to have extras of everything. Realistically, something is going to break, and in my experience things break at the worst possible times. For example, couple of weeks back, the heat bulb in my quarantine tank went out at about 10:30 on a Tuesday night. We had a cold snap that night and it got down into the very low 70s in the room where the tank was, and while it probably wouldn't have hurt the snake, I fortunately had a spare bulbs. I have spare heat mats, fixtures, bulbs, substrate, I mean you name it I have at least 2 as backups for all my enclosures. Having extra equipment is right there with having some funds saved for emergency vet care if/when it's needed.

The question "do you need another set of heating equipment" you HAVE to set a new enclosure up and let it run for a few days to make sure you gradient is right, that your temps and humidity are right, etc etc. You can't, I mean you can but personally I think it's poor practice, just stick the snake in a brand new untested enclosure and expect not to have issues.
    Thing is AP from what I've seen is the most affordable when it comes to PVC setups, and seems to have the most glowing reviews out of any vendor (every time I look up reviews for another brand there always seem to be mentions of how this or that is less in quality compared to AP). And the year+ was a bit of an exaggeration granted, but still.

I think what I'll do is, once I can get the current enclosure sold (I've got someone highly interested in it who should be coming to see it tomorrow, and if they buy it I'll actually be turning a small profit out of the deal), I'll go ahead and place an order for a T10 just so it's squared away and the "clock is set" so to speak. Then as I recover the money spent on that I can get a second set of equipment for a tub setup.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-07-2021)

Thanks
    Good luck tomorrow. And yes, if that was me, I'd get that T10 ordered. If you wait, you'll be in the midst of their "Christmas-holiday rush" of orders- you almost are now anyway.

Thanks
    Still haven't managed to sell it yet (keep getting fakes or people who just waste my time) but I have sold other things to regain enough money so I've finally just placed down an order for a T10 with glass doors, door lock, LEDs and RHP. But I'm a little confused with the Pro Products site that I'm supposed to put the order in from. There's nowhere for me to actually add a RHP to my cart to order so, do I just contact them or something?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-12-2021)

Thanks
    Have had no dealings with them, but I think I'd contact them & ask, unless someone else here knows? Glad you're getting your order in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Still haven't managed to sell it yet (keep getting fakes or people who just waste my time) but I have sold other things to regain enough money so I've finally just placed down an order for a T10 with glass doors, door lock, LEDs and RHP. But I'm a little confused with the Pro Products site that I'm supposed to put the order in from. There's nowhere for me to actually add a RHP to my cart to order so, do I just contact them or something?
    I called them for mine. Bob is fantastic, he'll ask you what size enclosure you're getting, what your room temps are, and what kind of animal you're keeping, then he'll recommend a size RHP for you. Last I heard he's a little backed up because of Covid, but he'll get you taken care of.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I called them for mine. Bob is fantastic, he'll ask you what size enclosure you're getting, what your room temps are, and what kind of animal you're keeping, then he'll recommend a size RHP for you. Last I heard he's a little backed up because of Covid, but he'll get you taken care of.
    Got it all done over the phone and also ordered some new hides from Reptile Basics. Everything's set in motion now.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2021),GoingPostal (04-12-2021),Hugsplox (04-12-2021)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast