Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,651

2 members and 2,649 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

I made a massive mistake...

Bought what I thought was a good enclosure from Craigslist (48x29x29, bigger than a T10) with extras, had only been used for a monitor for a few months, but when I brought it home it's clear it has issues right off the bat.

The doors are a flimsy plastic and don't even close all the way because of these dumb rubber stoppers, and I have no idea how this lock is supposed to work. The material is plywood. It's silicon sealed but still.

It came with two huge logs, but only one of them has been baked and the other is way too big to cure in my oven so it's useless. A bunch of lamps and bulbs which who knows what's still good, and finally a giant tout with what I'm told is brand new untouched substrate.

This put me $275 in the hole and I feel like a total idiot. It was either I buy something like this, wait a year+ for an actual professional setup, retrofit ANOTHER tank and deal with the same problems all over again, or clumsily try to build something myself. No matter what I was screwed. Feeling discouraged from the hobby altogether after this...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Yes you did...

I would bake the substrate IF you decide to keep it (I probably would use it in my garden), & throw away those logs, not worth dealing with versus the risk.

Look at the bright side, at least it wasn't a car you bought hastily. Never let a seller rush you into buying something before you really look it over.

You'd have been far better off waiting for a new enclosure to be built, & that's what I thought your plan was?

Monitors can carry tons of germs, so every inch, inside & out, needs the full disinfectant-treatment. Test the lights & sanitize all of them too- every inch.

Not sure how to fix the doors, hard to do over the 'net. Glad it's not mine...

(Was the monitor rehomed or did it die from something?)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-30-2021 at 01:53 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    I don't even know what I'm going to do now, I don't have much money left and very little income (and unlike most people I've not gotten a dime out of any of the stimulus bills).

The best I can think to do is, after cleaning and disinfecting, completely reseal the entire enclosure and try to get glass doors that actually fit properly. Which by the end will probably cost me about as much as just paying the premium for a fully built T10.

Who am I kidding this is a freaking disaster... I'm completely screwed...

Thanks

Re: I made a massive mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes you did...

I would bake the substrate if you decide to keep it, & probably throw away those logs, not worth dealing with vs. the risk.

Look at the bright side, at least it wasn't a car you bought hastily. Never let a seller rush you into buying something before you really look it over.

You'd have been far better off waiting for a new enclosure to be built, & that's what I thought your plan was?

And monitors can carry tons of germs, so every inch, inside & out, needs the full disinfectant-treatment. Test the lights & sanitize all of them too- every inch.

Glad it's not mine...
    Everywhere I looked the wait times were going to be months, and I did not feel comfortable, with what little money I had, paying up to half a grand for an item I wasn't going to see for such a long time that I'd have to make a second temporary enclosure due to the main one taking so long. But clearly I made the stupid choice anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    ...unlike most people I've not gotten a dime out of any of the stimulus bills...

I recently read something somewhere that said if you haven't received the "stimulus $" to call the IRS. I'd suggest doing so.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    Oh great, I walk out to the deck where I put it and find my dad spraying weed killer everywhere while the wind's blowing around. Even after telling him to stop he blew me off and kept going so I had to hastily throw a tarp over the whole thing and hope it doesn't get even worse.

I'm, I'm just done with everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Everywhere I looked the wait times were going to be months, and I did not feel comfortable, with what little money I had, paying up to half a grand for an item I wasn't going to see for such a long time that I'd have to make a second temporary enclosure due to the main one taking so long. But clearly I made the stupid choice anyway.
    There's a good old saying: Buy in haste, regret at leisure.

We've all made mistakes in life...the way to make better ones is to learn from the ones you make. You might try to re-sell this whole mess- you'll lose some $ but not all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-30-2021)

Thanks

I recently read something somewhere that said if you haven't received the "stimulus $" to call the IRS. I'd suggest doing so.

This might help with the stimulus issue:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

There's a good old saying: Buy in haste, regret at leisure.

We've all made mistakes in life...the way to make better ones is to learn from the ones you make. You might try to re-sell this whole mess- you'll lose some $ but not all.
    Agreed, I'd try to resell it even if you lose a little cash. If you're going to spend money on a big enclosure, with a RHP from Pro Products my T10 cost me $381 shipped. Yea I ordered in September and it got here yesterday, but I don't have to worry about anything with it.

No sense in beating yourself up or stressing over it. What's done is done, all you can do now is learn from this and move forward. I would try to sell this even if you have to sell it piece by piece and try to recoup some of your money. Keep your chin up, no one on this site has never made a mistake be it in reptile keeping or somewhere else in our lives. What matters is what you do next.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2021),Luvyna (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    Have taken a moment to calm down and collect myself...

I'm going to see what I can do to work with what I have. I have a mother who's handy in DIY and willing to help with the door issue and I'll pitch the logs and substrate.

So now, what is suggested for sanitation? And what paints are safe to use for reptiles so I can recoat the whole thing afterwards to make it look nice?

EDIT: Or is it really THAT bad that I shouldn't even try, attempt to resell, and start from scratch?
    Last edited by Snagrio; 03-30-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast