Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

1 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Ratsnakes eating eggs?

I have backyard chickens and own a ratsnake. I often see people sharing how they find ratsnakes in their chicken coops enjoying the eggs. Some chicken owners actually let those snakes eat the eggs, even leaving an "offering" when collecting eggs, because they find their pest control services very useful. I don't live in an area with native ratsnakes, but I do have a captive one as a pet.

So . . . does anyone who owns a pet ratsnake ever feed them eggs? Is this even healthy for them? Just curious.

Last edited by FollowTheSun; 03-27-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm sure that hungry wild rat snakes steal some bird eggs but not many could actually down a chicken egg, they're too big. I suppose my 7' male FL-blend rat snakes could do so, but I've never offered them eggs & have no plans to do so. Most (raw) chicken eggs can transfer salmonella so I'd not be inclined to try it for that reason alone.

Wild gopher-bull-& pine snakes are somewhat notorious for stealing chicken eggs from hen-houses. My sister used to raise chickens & occasionally found a rotund gopher snake that had slinked into the barn for breakfast, then was too fat (full of eggs!) to leave without her opening the door & chasing him out. Talk about embarrassing!

Apparently snakes can digest egg shells alright, but the African egg-eating snakes have a specialized projection in their throat for puncturing the eggs they ingest, & apparently are then able to swallow only the contents of the eggs, & "spit-out" the shells. I don't know how successful they are at all times however, since snakes really cannot cough or anything- apparently this puncturing of the egg shells takes place more or less at the back of their mouth, not so far down?

And keep in mind how easily the shells of wild birds are crumbled- they're nothing like domestic chicken egg shells that are quite hard to break, otherwise they'd never get to market. I actually think that if a pet snake swallowed a chicken egg, it might end up cutting up their insides by the pieces of eggshell before it had time to be digested, so for that reason I'd recommend that no one try this.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-27-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Re: Ratsnakes eating eggs?

I haven't yet, I'm wanting to get ahold of some quail eggs for my japanese rat snake but am having some trouble locating any. Japanese rat snakes have a special vertebrae that cracks egg shells, so its probably a good idea to provide something that they're specialized for. She does eat mice and baby quail eagerly enough.

Right now, she's way too small to handle chicken eggs. I don't know if she'll ever be big enough for them. Little noodle.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2021),TofuTofuTofu (03-29-2021)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    I would not feed them eggs because it doesn't fit the body size limit that everyone uses to determine what size prey to feed them unless you have an abnormally huge rat snake lol.
    Checkout my YouTube channel! I post Ball Python Morph Combo videos daily: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXr...7cOR5pcCONzvtA

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JacksReptiles For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    As always, a very interesting discussion! I wonder about the ones that eat eggs and if the shells hurt them. I figure they can digest bones, but egg shells are sharp!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm sure that hungry wild rat snakes steal some bird eggs but not many could actually down a chicken egg, they're too big. ...

A 4 and half footer will eat chicken/duck eggs with ease.

5 and 6 footers will eat adult grey squirrels.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-27-2021),jmcrook (03-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Yep we have some 5-6 foot adult female wild eastern black rats living in the area. They would take a chicken egg and ask for more.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-27-2022),jmcrook (03-27-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you raise birds or know somebody that does, you know the answer. Yes, backyard flock owners will leave an egg or two on the ground. This is because it’s not fun reaching under a bird an finding a hungry biting noodle.

Even small corn snakes will climb into nesting boxes for a snack. Depends on the size of the birds.

The fun snakes get in an then can’t get out after eating. Then the kids get a friend for a day or two.

Then you have young snakes that think they can eat a bird. Lost several Silkies that way.

Backyard eggs come in all sizes. An a Granny egg from a chicken looks like a jelly bean.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Yep we have some 5-6 foot adult female wild eastern black rats living in the area. They would take a chicken egg and ask for more.
    I don't doubt that wild snakes can pull this off- hunger is a powerful motivator. It's just not a risk I'd take with my pets.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-27-2021 at 03:03 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-27-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I haven't yet, I'm wanting to get ahold of some quail eggs for my japanese rat snake but am having some trouble locating any. Japanese rat snakes have a special vertebrae that cracks egg shells, so its probably a good idea to provide something that they're specialized for. She does eat mice and baby quail eagerly enough.

Right now, she's way too small to handle chicken eggs. I don't know if she'll ever be big enough for them. Little noodle.
    I was going to mention this species being adapted for egg-eating as well. In the Trans-Pecos rat snake book by Dusty Rhoads, it does say that they eat eggs as well (saying they have taken them in captivity, I think?). I would be nervous feeding a larger egg (like a chicken egg) to anything smaller than an adult Eastern Indigo snake lol, but I do know some wild rat snakes eat chicken eggs.

I was surprised to see quail eggs at my Publix, but I think it is a seasonal offering (their entire inventory changes for the snowbird residents and they carry more esoteric food then).

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TofuTofuTofu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-29-2021),FollowTheSun (03-30-2021),Starscream (03-29-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast