Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,996

2 members and 2,994 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Ooooh, I was MIA when you were actively posting this thread!
    Congrats on the new haul! Hope that quarantine goes well for them! I would maybe consider doing a run of melafix as a just in case as well if it was my tank. That way you cover parasite and a bit of antibiotic/antifungal

I had no problems with hatchets when I was younger, but as an adult, they are so prone to ick that it isn't even funny. They're always the first ones in a tank to sprout cysts.
    Neon tetras are very hit or miss. And neon tetra disease is not something that's easy to spot. If it WAS neon tetra disease, that is caused by a parasite and angelfish are susceptible to the parasite as well. Weirdly it seems cardinal tetras are a bit hardier though? As far as I know, there's no real cure for it... ;n;

Photos of your tank really made me miss working with fish! One day I really want to start up another tank of my own, just not in the cards with rental agreements being the way they are sadly ;n;
    Last edited by Armiyana; 12-01-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: 125 gallon South American fish community

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Ooooh, I was MIA when you were actively posting this thread!
    Congrats on the new haul! Hope that quarantine goes well for them! I would maybe consider doing a run of melafix as a just in case as well if it was my tank. That way you cover parasite and a bit of antibiotic/antifungal

I had no problems with hatchets when I was younger, but as an adult, they are so prone to ick that it isn't even funny. They're always the first ones in a tank to sprout cysts.
    Neon tetras are very hit or miss. And neon tetra disease is not something that's easy to spot. If it WAS neon tetra disease, that is caused by a parasite and angelfish are susceptible to the parasite as well. Weirdly it seems cardinal tetras are a bit hardier though? As far as I know, there's no real cure for it... ;n;

Photos of your tank really made me miss working with fish! One day I really want to start up another tank of my own, just not in the cards with rental agreements being the way they are sadly ;n;
    I have ParaGuard and MetroPlex (both from Seachem) that I used for the previous ich issue (both treatments did nothing which is why I went with Ich X), but I don't want to use multiple treatments at the same time and risk harming the fish.

Not sure if it was/is neon tetra disease. The neons kind of just wasted away one by one, though most of them quickly dropped after my misguided heat treatment when ich somehow infiltrated the main tank. Some discolored and/or developed wacky bodies/spines before they went which seems to be the common symptoms but again, hard to say for sure. None of the other multiple species in the tank seemed affected by it (which reminder includes other tetra species like black neon and glowlight) and often when a small fish dies I never find the body since multiple mystery snails, plecos and cories makes for an overly efficient "disposal crew" if you catch my drift.
    Last edited by Snagrio; 12-01-2021 at 05:42 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-01-2021)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    That's fair! The reason I suggest melafix is because it's a tea tree oil based product not an actual medication based one so it's sometimes easy to add on to an anti-parasitic without too much stress as long as you follow the dosage correctly. It does make the tank really foamy though @_@;
    Metroplex is a pretty good one from what I've heard. Just never got to use it myself.

And I totally get you on the clean up crew. I used to run the 1600 gallon tank at a big box pet store....
    I had to explain to so many people how it doesn't matter that your pleco is a 'veggie' fish.... they WILL attack your tasty goldfish or angelfish's slime coat if they're hungry. Or the whole pacu being veggie versions of piranah. They'll eat anything they can fit in their mouth. Once I had someone explain how the person at a different big box store shorted them fish and showed me the receipt and the bag of fish. I had to point out that the angelfish had a nice snack because the tetra was hanging out of its mouth. =/

It's tough to say for the neons really...Neons are such finicky fish. It really is frustrating to diagnose anything but ick in them. They either live forever in your tank or just stress out and belly up after a few hours. I started swearing by white cloud mountain minnows as a good starter schooling community fish but they don't have the flash that a neon does.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I’ve used API’s super ich cure for years and have lost almost no fish with it. Ich-X I tried a few times at the advice of the guys at Aquarium Co-op, but I just didn’t see the results I was looking for, and typically still had sick fish after the recommended dosage. One run of the API stuff and it was gone. Of course, as I got deeper into the hobby and finally set up a quarantine tank the need for a lot of this stuff went away, but not everyone has the room to do that and if you’re only keeping one tank and only buying fish every few months it’s a waste.

I also like Melafix a lot as well. A lot of people online will tell you that it doesn’t do anything, but I’ve used it almost like a Neosporin for fish with damaged fins and had great success.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

125 gallon South American fish community

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    LONG overdue in posting this but here we go.

Initially had a 55 gallon with a random mishmash of fish and have since upgraded. Kept only four and rehomed the rest. The 125 came with a bunch of huge aggressive cichlids (red devils, green terrors, ect.) that were also rehomed, though I kept the albino bristlenose pleco that was in with them.

Current stocking:

Fauna

1 Giant danio (Devario aequipinnatus)*
    1 Eastern rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida splendida)*
    2 Bristlenose plecos (Ancistrus sp.)* (there were 2 babies recently but I don't believe they've survived unfortunately)
    4 Three-striped dwarf cichlids (Apistogramma trifasciata)
    8 False blochi corydoras (Corydoras delphax)
    5 Fairy corydoras (Corydoras atropersonatus)
    21 Neon tetras (Paracheirodon innesi)
    20 Black neon tetras (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
    1 Glowlight tetra (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)
    1 Male guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
    5 Mystery snails (Pomacea bridgesii)

Flora

Vallisneria
    Ludwigia
    Bacopa
    Cryptocoryne
    Java fern
    Anubias
    Micro sword
    Amazon sword

*Holdovers from previous setup (the top two are the last of their kind and are living out their remaining years with me despite "not fitting" with the theme)

Some extra schooling shots.

Two of the fairy corydoras.

Some mystery snail pics (they go CRAZY for cucumber).

Closeups of the three-striped dwarf cichlids (and the miserable-looking micro swords behind them, I've had terrible luck keeping them going).

Vagrant the stowaway guppy. He arrived on accident as a baby when I bought a couple of the mystery snails, hence his name. He's fully developed now and looks unbelievably stunning. This pic doesn't do him nearly enough justice (though the back of his tail sadly has a slight tear).

And finally the glowlight. This little one was an "orphan" pickup I brought along when I bought the black neons. It was all alone in an adjacent tank desperately trying to swim through the glass to reach the neons and have some security, so I decided to give it a home. It's been doing well. Notice the bunches of Javas in the background, those are all just a handful of the children my main plants have been producing at an insane rate. If you look closely you'll see them dotted throughout the aquascape.

As a bonus, 17 silver hatchets (Gasteropelecus sternicla) and my 2 prized farlowella catfish (Farlowella acus) in quarantine. The hatchets have been dealing with ich since the second day they've been here but are responding well to heat treatment.

Truly amazing !

I hope you bought a few more Glo-light tetras to keep him/her company

Could be a well fed male or a young slender female

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-02-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Just to throw my 2 cents in. I’ve used API’s super ich cure for years and have lost almost no fish with it. Ich-X I tried a few times at the advice of the guys at Aquarium Co-op, but I just didn’t see the results I was looking for, and typically still had sick fish after the recommended dosage. One run of the API stuff and it was gone. Of course, as I got deeper into the hobby and finally set up a quarantine tank the need for a lot of this stuff went away, but not everyone has the room to do that and if you’re only keeping one tank and only buying fish every few months it’s a waste.

I also like Melafix a lot as well. A lot of people online will tell you that it doesn’t do anything, but I’ve used it almost like a Neosporin for fish with damaged fins and had great success.
    Considering I went through around 3 other treatments with no luck and then witnessed the ich practically vanish the second I started using Ich-X, I can say it's worked well for me thus far. Probably different strains of ich that are more resistant to a given medication?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Truly amazing !

I hope you bought a few more Glo-light tetras to keep him/her company

Could be a well fed male or a young slender female

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I never did. Thought about it, but it's been doing just fine as an "honorary" black neon, as when I first picked it up it desperately tried to shoal with them from the other side of the display glass and has continued to do so ever since. Maybe when I pick up another batch of cardinals in the future I'll include a few more?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Considering I went through around 3 other treatments with no luck and then witnessed the ich practically vanish the second I started using Ich-X, I can say it's worked well for me thus far. Probably different strains of ich that are more resistant to a given medication?
    That’s definitely a possibility, even humans respond better to certain medications over others. Just offering an alternative should you need it, but If it ain’t broke ya know lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Snagrio (12-02-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    That’s definitely a possibility, even humans respond better to certain medications over others. Just offering an alternative should you need it, but If it ain’t broke ya know lol
    I appreciate it regardless. Should the worst happen and I get "Ich-X resistent ich" I'll know where to look next.

Thanks
    Been keeping up daily water changes with doses of Ich X after each and they've all been thriving.

Good lord I can't believe the look of these cardinals, the image doesn't do them nearly enough justice. It's going to be incredibly stunning once I have a full shoal (planning on a capping to around 30 strong) in the main tank.

This weirdo marbled whiptail's mouth. It's like I own a mini less predatory wobbegong. Glad I picked 'em up though. I have a growing fascination with the armored catfish groups (plecos, corydoras, ect.).

Some pics of the angels. They're already doing the "feed me" dance which I wasn't even aware was something angels did. The center one in the second pic had some damaged fins but they're already healing and beginning to regenerate.

Last edited by Snagrio; 12-04-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks
    The first batch did exceptionally well, so today they have been transferred and I got what should be the final batch for now.

25 more cardinal tetras to complete the shoal.

A platinum and "blue leopard" angelfish. I wanted an all black and all white angelfish as an extended theme with my black neon tetras, but the second angel is weird. It was sold as a blue leopard, but it looks nothing like one (leopards have spotting and, especially when young like my angels are, are lighter in color while the one I have is solid black like a black veil).

For the record, this is what a blue leopard looks like. And given how it cost more than even the platinum, chances are I was upcharged for a misidentified breed since from what I've researched black veils don't cost as much. I'll probably go back within the week to get that sorted out...

And finally, I specifically sought out orphans since it's a nice feeling to give loners a new home, and fun since you can get a random ragtag group. As such, I got two different hatchets, a marbled and I think common (Carnegiella strigata and Gasteropelecus sternicla respectively) and a Miguelito cory (Corydoras virginiae). Technically, one of the cardinals was also an orphan as it was in a separate tank with no other cardinals.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (12-10-2021),Homebody (12-09-2021)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast