Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 448

0 members and 448 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    So, today has been a total disaster... Had a couple of extra rough weeks of work, so I decided to treat myself for a little cheering up and went to the fish store. But when I came back and started putting the bags in the quarantine tank downstairs, one of them knocked over the rock that was keeping the sponge filter in place, and it cracked the bottom glass...

10 gallons worth of water all over the place... My dad and I managed to salvage most of the items (the shelf was full of stuff) and use a shop vac, fans and a dehumidifier to soak up all the water, but I had no other tank so I was forced to put the new fish in the main tank immediately and treat the whole thing with Ich X on the spot.

It's extra awful that this happened because what I got was extra special (and expensive).

A trio of Apistogramma borelii opal (another species of dwarf cichlids), and by far my most ambitious species attempt, two turquoise discus. The latter are locally bred, raised from tap water and have already taken interest in pellets so they're the best possible stock I could've gone with to try this most esteemed of freshwater fish.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2022),GoingPostal (09-12-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Sorry for your awful day- I hope that's the last of the rotten luck for a long while & that your new acquisitions do well with you now.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    For some good news, I offered the discus some bloodworms and they eagerly ate some.

Also caught a glimpse of the dwarf cichlids, they're all hiding in a back cave (the ones all the way in the back, bottom center).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-08-2022),Homebody (09-09-2022)

Thanks
    Some pics around a day after a hefty cleaning.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2022),Homebody (09-12-2022),Spicey (09-13-2022)

Thanks
    So the unthinkable happened.

My discus produced a clutch of eggs.

What's more, two of the angels were in the middle of laying their own batch at the same time.

Unfortunately by this following morning they were all gone (in fact the angels were eating their own eggs as fast as they laid them ), but I'm just amazed that three species now reproduced in my system, including freaking DISCUS. The conditions I provided must just be that good.

I briefly entertained the idea of making a new setup just for the discus pair, but they weren't the most expensive type out there ($90 each, when higher end ones go for multiple hundreds) and by the time I went through all the hassle I probably wouldn't break even. Still though, can't believe I've gotten what's widely considered the coupe de grace of freshwater fish to breed, without even actively trying.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-23-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Re: 125 gallon South American fish community

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    So the unthinkable happened.

My discus produced a clutch of eggs.

What's more, two of the angels were in the middle of laying their own batch at the same time.

Unfortunately by this following morning they were all gone (in fact the angels were eating their own eggs as fast as they laid them ), but I'm just amazed that three species now reproduced in my system, including freaking DISCUS. The conditions I provided must just be that good.

I briefly entertained the idea of making a new setup just for the discus pair, but they weren't the most expensive type out there ($90 each, when higher end ones go for multiple hundreds) and by the time I went through all the hassle I probably wouldn't break even. Still though, can't believe I've gotten what's widely considered the coupe de grace of freshwater fish to breed, without even actively trying.
    Without wanting to pizz on your chips ( uk saying ) .. I had a Discus tank years ago and for whatever reason .. I think life got difficult. Anyways I stopped cleaning the tank out , stopped the water changes .. the glass was thick with algae … I just fed them …

Anyways one day I happened to look in and there were little babies feeding off their parents skin / slime ..

All through complete neglect !

The photo below is nicked off the internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-23-2022),Snagrio (11-23-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Without wanting to pizz on your chips ( uk saying ) .. I had a Discus tank years ago and for whatever reason .. I think life got difficult. Anyways I stopped cleaning the tank out , stopped the water changes .. the glass was thick with algae … I just fed them …

Anyways one day I happened to look in and there were little babies feeding off their parents skin / slime ..

All through complete neglect !

The photo below is nicked off the internet

You know what, fair. For the longest time I'd constantly hear back and forth that discus are either just fine to keep or the hardest things ever to keep alive. Now that I've kept a couple for myself for a while I think it's far more the former at this point and the latter sentiment is a hangover from when they were all WC.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-23-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    You know what, fair. For the longest time I'd constantly hear back and forth that discus are either just fine to keep or the hardest things ever to keep alive. Now that I've kept a couple for myself for a while I think it's far more the former at this point and the latter sentiment is a hangover from when they were all WC.
    Yes .. I hadn’t really thought about it but your theory makes perfect sense !

Thanks

125 gallon South American fish community

Interestingly I have a predicament at the moment …

I had a tank full of young , mixed Barbs ( about 20) then I added a pair of dwarf Platinum Parrot fish ( hybrid cichlids) - they are 3” long , extremely intelligent and inquisitive max have tiny mouths like Rams .

I read up on the Parrot fish and 99% of males are infertile …of course this one FERTILE …

Within a few weeks they had spawned and then eggs hatched and there were about 20 tiny , tiny little fry on the cleared out glass bottom of the tank in the corner .

The problem was then that the parents were ultra protective and spent the day chasing away the Tiger barbs who don’t appear to be very bright at all as they just swam back into the danger area seconds later .

I decided to remove the Tigers and put them in my little spare quarantine tank ..

A month later and there seems to be about 6 or 7 ( maybe more as the tank is jam packed with rocks and hiding places .)the little ones are just less than 1cm long and are all very territorial.. chasing each other out of their little patch .

The problem is that mum and dad are getting jiggy again and now mum darts and chases the babies every time she sees one ..

I have decided to put the Tiger Barbs back in this afternoon just to give the mum and dad something else to think about ..

I only have one decent sized tank and the little quarantine one

Thoughts ?

Last edited by Zincubus; 11-24-2022 at 06:53 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Interestingly I have a predicament at the moment …

I had a tank full of young , mixed Barbs ( about 20) then I added a pair of dwarf Platinum Parrot fish ( hybrid cichlids) - they are 3” long , extremely intelligent and inquisitive max have tiny mouths like Rams .

I read up on the Parrot fish and 99% of males are infertile …of course this one FERTILE …

Within a few weeks they had spawned and then eggs hatched and there were about 20 tiny , tiny little fry on the cleared out glass bottom of the tank in the corner .

The problem was then that the parents were ultra protective and spent the day chasing away the Tiger barbs who don’t appear to be very bright at all as they just swam back into the danger area seconds later .

I decided to remove the Tigers and put them in my little spare quarantine tank ..

A month later and there seems to be about 6 or 7 ( maybe more as the tank is jam packed with rocks and hiding places .)the little ones are just less than 1cm long and are all very territorial.. chasing each other out of their little patch .

The problem is that mum and dad are getting jiggy again and now mum darts and chases the babies every time she sees one ..

I have decided to put the Tiger Barbs back in this afternoon just to give the mum and dad something else to think about ..

I only have one decent sized tank and the little quarantine one

Thoughts ?

Two day update .. all went very well with the reintroduction of the shoal of Tiger Barbs !

Phew !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Spicey (11-26-2022)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567