Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

0 members and 2,982 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: What you don't know CAN hurt you- See if you know how this happened?

I don't know the story, but, Carbon Monoxide (which was ruled out) would have been my first guess.

My second guess would be mold (description of symptoms resemble Fusarium)...since mycotoxins are allowed to exist in dog food: dogs can harbor some pretty nasty stuff. If a dog is suffering mycotoxicosis and is shedding spores in its saliva/urine: smaller respiratory systems (e.g. children) would be at a huge disadvantage. Even a healthy dog urinating on a rug repeatedly in the same spot can grow some toxic pathogens relatively fast.

Without more information it could be anything really though: maybe the dogs and kids all sat around together and ate a bad batch of crayons.
    *.* TNTC

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021),FollowTheSun (03-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    This story rings a bell. I'm pretty sure I've heard it somewhere else before...

Was it something to do with coral? I've heard stories of corals getting stressed and releasing some noxious compounds that caused health issues when aerosolized. Including some that were closely related to ones I used to keep, yikes!
    AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

Apparently while the father was home with a sick kid, he just decided to clean their aquarium. Who knew?

This is a write-up of a similar case (not the same one): https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this: https://www.discovermagazine.com/pla...store-near-you

PLANET EARTHWorld’s 2nd deadliest poison, in an aquarium store near you

Not Exactly Rocket ScienceBy Ed YongApril 5, 2011 7:47 AM

Zoanthid

Newsletter

In 2007, a man from Woodbridge, Virginia was rushed into hospital after inhaling an aerosolised version of one of the deadliest poisons on the planet. He was not the victim of a terrorist attack. He wasn’t working in a biohazard laboratory. He was trying to clean out his fish tank.
    The man, who posts on the Reef Central Forums as Steveoutlaw, was trying to get rid of a colony of zoanthids – a relative of corals and sea anemones – that was infesting his aquarium rocks. He had heard that boiling water would do the trick. When he tried it, he accidentally inhaled some of the steam.
    Twenty minutes later, his nose was running and he had a cough. Four hours later, his breathing was laboured and he was headed to the emergency room. By the time he arrived, he was suffering from severe coughing fits and chest pains. He was stabilised, but he developed asthma and a persistent cough, and had to use steroids and an inhaler for at least two months.

The reason for his sudden illness was palytoxin, a speciality of zoanthids, and the second deadliest poison in the natural world. One gram of the stuff will kill more than a hundred million mice. This poison, liberated by the boiling water, had risen into Steveoutlaw’s airways in a cloud of steam.
    Palytoxin is shrouded in legend. Hawaiian islanders tell of a cursed village in Maui, whose members defied a shark god that had been eating their fellow villagers. They dismembered and burned the god, before scattering his ashes in a tide pool near the town of Hana. Shortly after, a mysterious type of seaweed started growing in the pool. It became known as “limu-make-o-Hana” (deadly seaweed of Hana). If smeared on a spear’s point, it could instantly kill its victims.
    The shark god may have been an elaborate fiction, but in 1961, Philip Helfrich and John Shupe actually found the legendary pool. Within it, they discovered a new species of zoanthid called Palythoa toxica. The limu-make-o-Hana was real, but it wasn’t seaweed – it was a type of colonial anemone. In 1971, Richard Moore and Paul Scheuer isolated the chemical responsible for the zoanthid’s lethal powers – palytoxin. Now, Jonathan Deeds from the US Food and Drug Administration has found that the poison is readily available in aquarium stores.
    Deeds was investigating a case of palytoxin poisoning when he heard about Steveoutlaw’s unfortunate incident. He visited the man, collected a sample of the offending zoanthid, and found that it was indeed heavy with palytoxin. It wasn’t hard to get his hands on more. Deeds bought 15 more colonies from three aquarium stores in the Washington DC area, of the same species that gave Steveoutlaw his whiff of toxic steam. Three of the samples yielded even more poison. Every gram contained enough palytoxin to kill 300,000 mice, or around 80 people.
    Unfortunately, Deeds has no clear message for aquarium owners. Some of the zoanthid species that he tested weren’t toxic at all, and indeed, many people claim to have handled zoanthids for years without problems. However, those that contain palytoxin can kill if even a small amount of the poison gets on the skin. And, as Steveoutlaw found, even breathing in an aerosolised version of the poison is a bad idea. The problem is that telling zoanthids apart is incredibly difficult – Deeds only did it with any degree of certainty using genetic analysis.

And tracing the origins of these animals isn’t easy either. One of the aquarium owners who Deeds visited said that he got his zoanthids through mixed containers of corals and rock fragments, known as “frags”, with no information about their origins. The animals can be accidentally introduced on unsuspecting rocks. And many aquarium owners will break the rocks up themselves and exchange them between friends.
    As Deeds wrote, “the legendary limu appears to be exacting its ancient curse once again, but this time upon unsuspecting marine home aquarists.” Owners are “often unaware of the deadly poisons they are being exposed to”.
    PS Venom enthusiasts know that the potency of poisons is measured using the LD-50 – the dose that will kill half a group of mice after a set time. The most venomous snake has an LD-50 of 25 micrograms per kilogram of body weight. For tetrodotoxin, the equivalent figure is 8 micrograms. For batrachotoxin, the poison from the skin of poison dart frogs, it’s 2-7 micrograms. For palytoxin, it’s 0.3 micrograms (or 300 nanograms).
    Reference: Deeds, J., Handy, S., White, K., & Reimer, J. (2011). Palytoxin Found in Palythoa sp. Zoanthids (Anthozoa, Hexacorallia) Sold in the Home Aquarium Trade PLoS ONE, 6 (4) DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0018235

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    And I know some of our members here are into tropical fish & all, so for anyone not aware, I just thought this was well-worth sharing.

It's like something from an episode of HOUSE (the t.v. series), eh? I sure didn't guess it.

I didn't post it under "fish", just under "general pets" so I didn't give too much away.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-26-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    glances nervously at my 125 gallon aquarium

It's freshwater so no "killer corals" but still.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Ah, marine organisms. Sometimes you never know who's packing a toxic surprise!

Zoanthids are supposedly easy to keep, but I never had any luck with them. I had a bubble tip anemone thumb, though.

All this fish talk is making me miss reef keeping. Part of the reason I'm keeping the snake string on the smaller size is so I have room for a tank or two in the future. I'd love to restart the 29 gallon cube as a clownfish-anemone tank and something a bit larger for a proper reef. Anthias, six-line wrasse, dwarf angels, firefish, watchmen gobies, mandarin dragonets, Maxima clams, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp... there are a lot of marine critters I'd like to keep again or for the first time.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021),Kam (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Have yet to try saltwater, and given the ludicrous amount of money I recently spent to upgrade my freshwater setup, it'll likely be a long while yet, if ever. Closest I ever got was a brackish paludarium setup for some fiddler crabs years ago. I even watched them spawn in the water, though given my inexperience at the time I had no idea how to feed the fry so none survived.
    Last edited by Snagrio; 03-26-2021 at 10:18 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021)

Thanks

And this is why I'll just go right ahead and stick to my South American fw tank!

Interesting read.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021),Hugsplox (03-27-2021)

Thanks
    I've heard about this. It gets mentioned a lot when newbies are told why they shouldn't boil live rock. Another guy was suspected to have died from trying to clean out his aquarium too after it 'crashed' (catastrophic failure in the tank ecosystem that causes everything in it to die) after the ice storms. Reef tanks can turn into soupy biohazards.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Why would anyone thinking boiling live rock is a good idea, much less in their house? But yes some palys are do not touch, you don't want to frag them without gloves and eye protection and they are basically impossible to kill off. Easier to throw the whole rock with them on it away than try to salvage it in any way but drying it out and muriatic acid outside is the way to go if you want to try.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    ......In 2007, a man from Woodbridge, Virginia was rushed into hospital after inhaling an aerosolised version of one of the deadliest poisons on the planet. He was not the victim of a terrorist attack. He wasn’t working in a biohazard laboratory. He was trying to clean out his fish tank.....

Wow, that's about 30 minutes away from me...... I don't remember ever hearing about it on the news or in print... But it was a long time ago and I'm old so.....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast