Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,841

0 members and 2,841 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Is it worth it to own two snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by JacksReptiles View Post
    It is not going to be much more work. I have 11 snakes and do not even spend an hour a week taking care of them. Go for it man.
    For me, the challenge was always about stopping at two. Seriously, when I only had one or two (& it's hard to remember so far back ) I missed them when they went into shed & hid for a week; I solved it by adding more snakes to my household- they can't ALL be in shed at the same time!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-27-2021),Hugsplox (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    For me, the challenge was always about stopping at two. Seriously, when I only had one or two (& it's hard to remember so far back ) I missed them when they went into shed & hid for a week; I solved it by adding more snakes to my household- they can't ALL be in shed at the same time!
    You gotta watch out for Bogertophis. I remember when I had 3 snakes, then we had a 5 minute conversation about spotted pythons, now I have 4 snakes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Is it worth it to own two snakes?

Well after a rather heated discussion one day whilst walking the dawg .. my better half agreed to me having just ONE snake .. a baby Corn snake ..

Within about 2 years or so I was up to 24 .. .. a very varied select as well - Royals , Kings , Corns , Boas , Burms , Retics , Garters ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-26-2021 at 02:23 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-27-2021),Hugsplox (03-26-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Well after a rather heated discussion one day whilst walking the dawg .. my better half agreed to me having just ONE snake .. a baby Corn snake ..

Within about 2 years or so I was up to 24 .. .. a very varied select as well - Royals , Kings , Corns , Boas , Burms , Retics , Garters ...

We might be related? -but I skipped the burms & retics & went straight to Crotalus...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    You gotta watch out for Bogertophis. I remember when I had 3 snakes, then we had a 5 minute conversation about spotted pythons, now I have 4 snakes.
    Guilty as charged.

Reminds me of an old saying: "I'm not completely useless...I can always serve as a bad example."
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-26-2021 at 02:56 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-26-2021),Zincubus (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I'm more than fixated on having more beyond the ball python I have now, but I'm in a weird combination of wanting to ensure the needs of my first snake are squared away (namely getting him his permanent adult enclosure), finances and parental permission. It won't be until those are all resolved that I'll start taking the steps towards new scaly family members.

Don't want a whole roomful of serpents though. Probably 3-4 at the most, and in some variety. Corns, boas smaller than the "standard size" (dwarf/smaller BCI localities or KSBs), bullsnakes, a second BP of a different morph (mine's a banana, would like a contrasting darker gene like a GHI mojave), and what I consider to be my personal dream snake, the crown jewel, a Vietnamese blue beauty, have all been in my field of interest.

But for at least one case, I really want to give a home to a rescue or otherwise unwanted animal. It's something that's been on my mind for some time, and those who've been reading my posts know I nearly (foolishly) jumped on taking in a sickly-looking BP my heart is that set on the idea. But I'll have to wait until the timing and conditions are right for any new additions so, things are more in the "daydreaming" stage for now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021),dakski (03-26-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I'm more than fixated on having more beyond the ball python I have now, but I'm in a weird combination of wanting to ensure the needs of my first snake are squared away (namely getting him his permanent adult enclosure), finances and parental permission. It won't be until those are all resolved that I'll start taking the steps towards new scaly family members.

Don't want a whole roomful of serpents though. Probably 3-4 at the most, and in some variety. Corns, boas smaller than the "standard size" (dwarf/smaller BCI localities or KSBs), bullsnakes, a second BP of a different morph (mine's a banana, would like a contrasting darker gene like a GHI mojave), and what I consider to be my personal dream snake, the crown jewel, a Vietnamese blue beauty, have all been in my field of interest.

But for at least one case, I really want to give a home to a rescue or otherwise unwanted animal. It's something that's been on my mind for some time, and those who've been reading my posts know I nearly (foolishly) jumped on taking in a sickly-looking BP my heart is that set on the idea. But I'll have to wait until the timing and conditions are right for any new additions so, things are more in the "daydreaming" stage for now.
    You know, sometimes having some constraints are a good thing. For some of us, it's too easy to just go crazy & want them all, or to take on too much without realizing it until it's too late. There's nothing wrong with starting slow & adding gradually, after you know more about what you're getting into, & when you have more control over your life.

For me, it was never about asking my parents for permission- I had my own place & a good job- you could actually say "I had a late start" so I had to make up for lost time...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-26-2021 at 10:36 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

For me, it was never about asking my parents for permission- I had my own place & a good job- you could actually say "I had a late start" so I had to make up for lost time...
    This is where I am. Now that I can afford them I’m trying to make up for the years I missed out on having them. The only struggle is practicing some self control and understanding that not everything needs to come home with me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

You know, sometimes having some constraints are a good thing. For some of us, it's too easy to just go crazy & want them all, or to take on too much without realizing it until it's too late. There's nothing wrong with starting slow & adding gradually, after you know more about what you're getting into, & when you have more control over your life.

Wish I knew when I'd have they kind of control... I'm the definition of a "late starter" sadly. Always feels like I'm behind on the important things in life. Still have no idea what I want to do for a genuine career, and even if I was well-off enough to gain independence from my folks I don't know nearly enough "adulting" things to do that.

I'm 25 and effectively that infamous "parent's basement dweller" archetype. I know I'm far from the only person in such a position (especially with my miserable generation) but that doesn't exactly make me feel any better about it... The biggest struggle right now is trying to find a job where I get paid decently well to build up savings, but not take up all of my free time to the point where my animals get the short end of the stick. Some people seem very loose with their pets and just drop them the second a change in lifestyle happens (like a new job or new digs), but that's not how I roll.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-27-2021),TofuTofuTofu (03-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Wish I knew when I'd have they kind of control... I'm the definition of a "late starter" sadly. Always feels like I'm behind on the important things in life. Still have no idea what I want to do for a genuine career, and even if I was well-off enough to gain independence from my folks I don't know nearly enough "adulting" things to do that.

I'm 25 and effectively that infamous "parent's basement dweller" archetype. I know I'm far from the only person in such a position (especially with my miserable generation) but that doesn't exactly make me feel any better about it... The biggest struggle right now is trying to find a job where I get paid decently well to build up savings, but not take up all of my free time to the point where my animals get the short end of the stick. Some people seem very loose with their pets and just drop them the second a change in lifestyle happens (like a new job or new digs), but that's not how I roll.
    I'm glad you're committed to your pets. I started to answer this, but it seems a little off the topic so I'm sending you a PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Synchronised feeding shot of my four ‘baby’ ( must be around 18 months now ) Albino Royals

We see so many stories of non feeding Royal /Ball Pythons that I thought it would be nice to show that many are marvellous feeders

[ all fed using the hairdryer method of course ]

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-28-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-28-2021),Hugsplox (03-28-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast