Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,395

1 members and 2,394 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Can't figure out why BP is stressed.

I'm having a problem with my bp not using the hides, constantly trying to escape, and not eating. It only settles down in and eat in a small tub the only fits one hide and water dish.. Its actually too big for the current enclosure and I want to get a pvc but I don't want to spend that money if bigger enclosures will be a problem.

Cold side & ambient: mid 70s-80
    Heat pad: 89-92
    humidity: mid 70s
    (temperature checked with temp gun & digital thermometer/ hygrometer)
    Tub: 39" x 21" x 17
    BP: about 4ft 1603g

Usually went with the simple enclosure and never had this problem until I started using bigger tubs. Any tips?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    How long has your snake been in this new set-up?

How long have you had the snake?

How many times have you changed this snake's home since you've had them? Made any other changes? (like from live to f/t or vice versa, or from mice to rats, etc.?)

I know it's illuminated for the photos, but do you usually keep a light on over this enclosure?

Is this being kept in a quiet area of the home? Any changes in the home? Other pets (dogs, cats, ferrets) around ? -remodeling? -loud stereo or other vibrations out of the ordinary? Other family members around that might be teasing or handling the snake when you're not around?

Overall privacy...have you tried covering at least one side, maybe with a towel (only if it's safe to do so- ie. not next to overhead heat source) ?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-23-2021 at 08:01 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-23-2021),Hugsplox (03-23-2021)

Thanks

Re: Can't figure out why BP is stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How long has your snake been in this new set-up?

How long have you had the snake?

How many times have you changed this snake's home since you've had them? Made any other changes? (like from live to f/t or vice versa, or from mice to rats, etc.?)

I know it's illuminated for the photos, but do you usually keep a light on over this enclosure?

Is this being kept in a quiet area of the home? Any changes in the home? Other pets (dogs, cats, ferrets) around ? -remodeling? -loud stereo or other vibrations out of the ordinary? Other family members around that might be teasing or handling the snake when you're not around?

Overall privacy...have you tried covering at least one side, maybe with a towel (only if it's safe to do so- ie. not next to overhead heat source) ?
    I've moved about 3 or 4 times as it got bigger. Its been in the new setup about a month.

I've had it for 3 years

I've only changed the substrate but had the same problem

No light over it. It's kept in a bedroom with no traffic. only the sound from the TV and a space heater from time to time.

I darkened 3 sides of the tub. You can only barely see through the front with the dark lid on

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Still settling into the "new" (month old) set-up would be my guess, then. Snakes learn their way around in nature, or they don't survive, because they can't find safe places to hide from predators & from weather (excessive heat & cold). So every time you change up their home, no matter how beautiful it looks to you, in their world they feel as if they'd been abducted by aliens & there's no way to get "home" to where they feel safe. See? The older a snake is, the harder such changes hit them. Keep this in mind, & stay patient.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Still settling into the "new" (month old) set-up would be my guess, then. Snakes learn their way around in nature, or they don't survive, because they can't find safe places to hide from predators & from weather (excessive heat & cold). So every time you change up their home, no matter how beautiful it looks to you, in their world they feel as if they'd been abducted by aliens & there's no way to get "home" to where they feel safe. See? The older a snake is, the harder such changes hit them. Keep this in mind, & stay patient.
    Oddly enough when I’m giving them all fresh water , quite often I take branches and bark pieces out and swap them all around .. then when evening comes they are all all out sniffing around

I class it as enrichment... hopefully I’m not stressing them out !?

I know how our dog loves sniffing around in the garden all the time when the squirrels and cats have been around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Oddly enough when I’m giving them all fresh water , quite often I take branches and bark pieces out and swap them all around .. then when evening comes they are all all out sniffing around

I class it as enrichment... hopefully I’m not stressing them out !?

I know how our dog loves sniffing around in the garden all the time when the squirrels and cats have been around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I do that with my snakes too, but I don't keep BPs- they're apparently more sensitive, since they're ambush-predators that tend to stay "put", & not active hunters like my rat snakes & all are.